Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Monday Puzzler - September 24

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I am running behind today, I will post it tonight and give you all day Tuesday to guess it. Sorry for the delay.

message 2: by Kasey (last edited Sep 24, 2012 09:55PM) (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Sorry, this is so late.

Neither man paid the slightest attention to her, didn't even turn to look at her. The stranger pursued her father, reaching out to grab him and pull him up again.

"Stop!" Heroine shrieked once more. When she was again ignored, she raised one pistol and fired up into the air. She heard the ping as the ball hit the chandelier above, and a few prisms fell crashing to the floor.

Both men froze. The stranger straightened and swiveled his head to look up, and her father, too, turned his wavering eyes upon her. Heroine scarcely noticed her father's gaze.. Her eyes were riveted to the other man.

He was tall, and his wide shoulders filled out the suit admirably. Clearly his tailor was not required to resort to padding to give the jacket the shape it needed. His hair was black as coal in the light from the wall sconces, and he wore it a trifle longer than was strictly fashionable. His face was all sharp angles and flat planes--handsome, yet hard and unreadable. The only signs of temper lay in the faint color along the lines of his cheekbones and the unmistakable glitter of anger in his eyes.

She had seen other men more handsome then he; there was something a little raw and rough about him that was different from the more elegant gentlemen she was accustomed to. Yet he affected her fat more than any gentleman she had ever meet.

"That's my girl," Heroine's father slurred, wobbling where he stood. "Count on you."

Heroine's mouth tightened. It galled her to be forced to help her father.

"Don't you think it is a trifle late to be brawling in the foyer?" she asked in the coolly commanding tone that she had learned was best in dealing with her father.

Her father tugged down his jacket and brushed it off in the heavy-handed and supremely careful way often adopted by those in an inebriated state. He wiped his hand across his face, then looked down in apparent surprise at the blood on his palm.

"Damn--I think you broke my nose, you jumped-up card-sharp!" He glowered at the other man.

His companion, however, did not so much as spare him a glance. His eyes remained on Heroine.

She remembered suddenly how she must look. She had not bothered to throw a dressing gown on over her nightdress when she decided to search for a book to read. Her feet were bare, and her thick blond hair, released from its pins for the night, tumbled in wildly curling abandon over hr shoulders and down her back.

It occurred to her that the wall sconces from the floor above must be casting a light behind her, probably revealing the outline of her body, naked beneath the cotton night gown. She blushed to the roots of her hair. Why would he not look away? Clearly the man was a mannerless ruffian.

She titled up her chin and gazed back at him, refusing to let this boor see that she was embarrassed. Out of the corner of her eye, however, she saw her father sneak back, step and wrap his hand around a small statue that sat on a pedestal against the wall. He raised it, starting toward the other man.

"No!" Heroine snapped, swinging the loaded pistol in her left hand toward her father. "Put taht down this instant!"

Her father cast her a sulky look, but set the statue back on its base.

The other man glanced over at her father, his lip curling in contempt. He turned back and sketched a bow toward heroine.

"Thank you, my lady." His voice was deep and rough, his accent not that of a gentleman.

Her father leaned against the wall, still sulking, and refused to look at her. To her surprise, however, the other man let out a bark of laughter, and amusement lit his face, briefly warming and softening it. She was barely able to stop herself from smiling back at him.

"'Tis past my understanding that this old goat should have so fair a daughter," the man said.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1018 comments I wish I knew who the old goat was, but I haven't a clue.

message 4: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments I'm not sure on this one, but it definitely sounds like something I'd like to read! :)

message 5: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1917 comments Mod
I have no clue!

message 6: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Doesn't sound familiar at all.

message 7: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
I have no idea.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1018 comments So, Kasey, does the old goat get to pay his just desserts? Does heroine actually get a choice in who to marry? How does the HEA happen? Inquiring Goodreaders want to know.

message 9: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
This is from the prologue of The Bridal Quest by Candace Camp.

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
I'm going to add this to my list as well! Lol!

message 11: by Shh I'm reading! (new)

Shh I'm reading! (thequietone) | 92 comments Like!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Bridal Quest (other topics)