The Random World of Reading discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
TV and Movies > Games of Thrones

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lauren Did you like the book or the TV show better? What were your thoughts on the differences?

Erin H I have to say that I liked the tv show better only because you can see each character that he's talking about in the book. Sometimes the numerous amounts of characters tend to be a bit confusing and having that visual is perfect. I thought the show did a great job following the book, but the show also helped clear up some parts I thought were a little confusing such as Ned's death. I cannot wait until season 3 airs!

Lauren I have to admit that I have not seen the second season yet, I have heard that that one doesn't follow the books as much. I did however love the first season and how much it stayed true to the books. I totally agree with you Erin, being able to see the characters really helped me put everything into perspective. I did have to reread some parts of the book because I got confused as to what character Martin was talking about.

Lauren Stoolfire It's a great adaptation. I read the book first so I kind of knew what to expect. Having the visual was great and I also loved hearing the languages and the names said aloud. The show definitely enriches the reading experience! :)
Peter Dinklage and Kit Harington nailed their roles as Tyrion and Jon Snow!

Jacky I watched the show first, then read the book and was pleasantly surprised at how closely the show followed the book. I bought season 1 as soon as it came out and re-watched just before season 2 started.
Season 2 doesn't follow the book as much and in some ways that annoyed me, such as the climax of Jon Snow's part, I believe it was really weak compared to the book.

Lauren Yeah I seem to be hearing that a lot from people about the seacond season. It i really not making me want to watch it but I probably will anyways.

Erin H Yea there were definitely some changes between the second season and the book but I actually liked the show better. I thought Clash of Kings was a bit slow and I think the show made up for it by changing some parts. I'm also curious to see where the show is going to go and how that fits with the next books.

Rachel the Book Harlot For the first season, I actually loved them both equally. As the TV series has progressed though, I'm leaning more towards being a bookie. I think there are some aspects (important characterizations and plot points) that haven't translated well from book to screen in S2. Still, I have high hopes for S3 so we'll see.

Ceecee (qquiet) | 8 comments Well I have the show to thank for, for hooking me into ASoIaF series. I've only read the first book, and watched the 2 seasons. S1 was definitely a good adaptation of the book. I have high hopes for S3 as well. I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series when I get a hold of them.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Overall, I am happy with how the adaptation has played out so far. My husband and I both enjoy this show, and can't wait for the new season! I do worry however, that the show will reveal everything before the books are published! :(