Loose Woman Loose Woman question

Love, Sex, and Mexico
Kaitlin Patenaude Kaitlin Sep 24, 2012 10:00AM
So far in the poems of Loose Woman, we see Cisneros identifying herself through sexuality and ethnicity. There are many allusions to Mexico when she talks about herself in relation to her love ("You Bring Out the Mexican In Me", "Dulzura", "You Called Me Corazon", and the integration of the Mexican language throughout the poems). Her poems are clearly feminist, but in an interview Cisneros had with Voices from the Gaps, she had difficulty answering the question of if she thinks her writing has widened the concept of feminism. She states "My feminism is humanism, with the weakest being those who I represent, and that includes many beings and life forms, including some men."

How do her poems show this humanism? Is she widening the concept of feminism? Does the combination of sexuality and ethnicity in the poems change or aid these concepts? Use the poems to help your answer.

Here is the interview I got the quote from: http://voices.cla.umn.edu/readings/ci...

I definitely see what she means. Her poems promote humanism because although feminism is about women, women are part of that human story. How can you tell the story of humans without telling the story of women as well?

I think the combination of sexuality and ethnicity aid these concepts because we have to remember that as human beings, it is in our nature to be sexual beings.

I think of it this way...how can we be strong human beings if we do not recognize those who helped us stay strong and who are probably stronger than us?