Chicks On Lit discussion

Girl Talk > Baker Chicks?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
Okay other than books I love to make things. Particularly bake things. I would love to go to culinary school to be a pastery chef but I'm not sure I'd want to do it for a living. I just want the knowledge. Dumb huh? Anyways a long time ago I found a site that I love just for that. BakeSpace

It's a good place for recipes and swaps and they do give aways which I love. Right now they are doing a month of Kitchen Aid Give aways with like 5 things rotating throughout the month. You get points for the drawing each day by those you invite and recipes you share. SO if you like to bake or you want to get in on their contest check it out.

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
Oh and another give away. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/ she's giving away THREE kitchen aid mixers (I have one and I LOVE it) All you have to do is leave a comment on her blog and she picks 3 winners.

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
Oh and another one, it seems my favorite baking blogs and sites are in the Valentines Day give away mood.
http://creatingpostitnotes.blogspot.com/ is giving away 2 doz sugar cookies. Just have to go to her blog and email your entry in.

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli I signed up at Bakespace and I love it Tera....thanks!!

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments I am a baker and I am so excited about this blog!!! I work at a little cafe called Local Roots, and everything is organic and as local as possible...food ethics are also very important to me! Is anyone into experimental baking? How do we feel about Martha Stewart? (I secretly love her...)I am going to sign up on Bakespace right now. Thanks Tera!!!

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments I just signed up, too. I love baking. In fact, i was thinking of making a cheesecake and lemon bars today. Thanks for the link, Tera. This looks like a good site!

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli I'd love to add all of you as friends on that site.....how do I do that? Can you search for member names on there or anything?

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments So go to Culinary school and open your own business. Tera if you want to bake you can take bake orders, we would all order from you, what fun. If you guys want to do something like that I would be your business manager!

message 9: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments This is great Tera!
I love to dabble in baking but I am not great. Still I love watching Top Chef, Giata's cooking show, Ace of Cakes just fascinates me and I love the cooking competition shows.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments Holli, you can add friends on the site. Look on the left hand side of the page ater you log in. There's a heading about "friends." My screen name is "zazaknittycat" if you'd like to add me. I'd like to have all of you added as friends, too!

message 11: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
That is SO cute Kelly jo!
I think my bakespace name is mstera.
I think im going to take the Wilton Cake decorating classes this spring just to see how much I like it. Has anyone else tried them?

message 12: by Holli (new)

Holli My screen name is Holli....

message 13: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Feb 09, 2009 05:28AM) (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
YAY HOLLI WON!!!!!!!! On Bakespace Holli was yesterdays winner! A new Blender for Holli.

message 14: by Holli (new)

Holli Is that what that means Tera? Are you serious?? I just got an email that said you won but I didn't know what it was.....it didn't say......

OH MY GOD I never win anything!!! And i was seriously just saying I needed a new blender when I was making salsa yesterday. that's weird.

message 15: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
I am so glad you won! Kitchen aid makes great appliances so i am sure it will be wonderful. I am so happy you joined up and were able to win it.

message 16: by Holli (new)

Holli I am so excited about winning....that's awesome!!

No one has officially said anything to me yet from Bakespace...the "you won" email was from another member letting me know.

message 17: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
Your picture is up on the list of winners. Make sure nothing gets filtered to your junk email.

message 18: by Holli (new)

Holli I checked...its coming to my inbox.... so I'll wait patiently :)

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments Yay Holli! Congratulations on the win! And thanks for adding me as a friend. I haven't entered the contest but I'm sure going to do it now!

message 20: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi Tera, Thanks for telling us about BakeSpace and The Pioneer Woman. I don't think there is anything dumb about going to culinary school just because - I think it sounds wonderful!

Holli, Congrats on your win!

Jo (Bloomin'Chick) (BloominChick) Tera wrote: "I would love to go to culinary school to be a pastery chef but I'm not sure I'd want to do it for a living. I just want the knowledge. Dumb huh?" That's not dumb! I got a degree in Horticulture and Landscape Design just because I wanted to know more for me and my gardening! To know more about the things you enjoy gives you more joy!

Great links & give aways, btw!

Congrats Holli!

message 22: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments I love this. I am krisTJ.

Holli that is so cool you won!!

message 23: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks so much!! I'm really excited!!!

And you are so right Jo...its always nice to do things that better yourself and give you knowledge....so go for it Tera!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* whoohoo for Holli! I gotta get my butt over there and sign up!

message 25: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (SydneyH) okay... i know what i'm going to be doing tonight... i'm going to be entering all these online contests... while enjoying a slice of the pisachio marble cake I baked yesterday!

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments Sydney, that cakes sounds delicious!

message 27: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Congratulations Holli!

message 28: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
I just got their weekly newsletter and they actually mention Holli! They were talking about the contest and remarked how Holli had just joined and won with only 6 tally points so its not about how many its just about doing it.
Holli is bakespace FAMOUS!

message 29: by Holli (new)

Holli Wow!! That's awesome! I'm having a hard time navigating around this site Tera and I still have yet been able to reply to an email that's sent to me. Every time I do it goes to a blank screen and sits there.

Jo (Bloomin'Chick) (BloominChick) Sydney, I'll trade ya some of those spice cake cup cakes I made for a slice or 2 of your pistaschio marble cake!

message 31: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (SydneyH) Jo. you've got a deal! But I think both would loose something in the shipping! We'll have to trade recipes!

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) so Tera we must be long lost sisters. I bake almost everyday. during the holiday, twice a day. i would love to go to culinary school but dont' want to do anything with it (other than make all of my friends and family as gluttonous as I am).

I am thinking about taking some local cooking and baking classes. but just can't seem to find the time! so for now I teach myself!

message 33: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (SydneyH) I joined Bakespace, but can't for the life of me figure out how to find and add those of you who are already on it. I'm SydBakes2

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (Kristen120378) Tera, I've always wanted to do that too. I never really wanted a job doing it but I want to be a kick-ass baker with all the knowledge that you don't get learning yourself.

message 35: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi Sydney, I just invited you to be my friend on bakespace. To find others go to the member tab on top and search.

message 36: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (MissBrittany) | 336 comments i think i am going to sign up on bakespace. do you all find it really helpful, or just fun?

message 37: by Holli (new)

Holli I just started Brittany so still getting the hang of it all really!!

message 38: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (MissBrittany) | 336 comments I'm trying to gauge whether it's worth it to have another account to sign in to (I already have too many!) if I can peruse most of the site without it. :}

message 39: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
They have some great recipes there, super yummy ones. I am trying to explore the Mentor thing they have there more I think it sounds cool.

message 40: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (MissBrittany) | 336 comments tera- what are tally points for?

message 41: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
the tally points are for the kitchen give away there are doing this month. You get 3 tally points for each person you invite and 1 for each recipe you post. each day they do a give away from those entered (YAY Holli won the other day) and then the most points in each catagory at the end of the month wins their big kitchen aid mixer

message 42: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (MissBrittany) | 336 comments gotcha. thanks!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I'm pebbles32s..what fun!

message 44: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments I'm still trying to get used to the site so I haven't posted any recipes yet. Are they supposed to be "original" recipes?

message 45: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2530 comments Mod
If/when you post a recipe there is an option there to credit someone or someplace if it's not original so no fears.

message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments Thank you, Tera!

message 47: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) Yay! Bakespace looks really fun! I joined, my user name is beach_bum... add me!

message 48: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (Earthmarsha) | 1586 comments I enjoy baking and I love to try out new recipes, but generally I don't dare bake unless I am bringing a dessert over to someone else's house for a party or a dinner. It's only my husband and me at home here, and if I had baked goods available all the time, I'd be as big as two houses! I think I'll save bakespace for a resource on special occasions.

message 49: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (SydneyH) Okay, sorry to be the kill joy, but I signed up for bakespace and I can't get the darn site to work. It won't let me stay logged in... I've tried to add recipes a couple of different times, and by the time I'm finished typing, I have to log in again and have lost everything I've typed! So frustrating. I think I'm leaving bakespace.

message 50: by Holli (new)

Holli Sydney....write that to the founder....Babette. You can email her and she gets right back to you. She's awesome!!

« previous 1