Urban Fantasy discussion

UF BOOK CHAT > Most Kick-a** Hero/Heroine

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Who do think is the toughest UF hero/heroine? Right now, I'm reading Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews and Kate Daniels is definitely in the top ten. Then again, Elise Kavanagh in Death's Hand (Descent, #1) by S.M. Reine was pretty good, too.

message 2: by Julia (last edited Sep 27, 2012 11:39AM) (new)

Julia | 615 comments Who is the toughest? Anyone who keeps getting up? Here are heroes who are female that I really, really like and keep rereading:

1. Kate Daniels Magic Bites
2. The Women of the Otherworld Bitten. This series switches narrators every couple of books, which is neat. Also, it is done with 13. It begins strongly with Elena.
3. The Enchantment Emporium and The Wild Ways featuring Allie and Charlie Gale are fun!. Allie owns a store and Charlie's a musician, they are witches, well, magic users, and solve problems magically.
4. Jilly Coppercorn in various Charles de Lint novels and short stories and her friends Sophie, Isabelle, Lily and Geordie, Hank, Christy are painters, students, waitresses, photojournalists, musicians, cab drivers and a folklorist. They don't a$$kick, except with magic.
5. Eddi is also a musician, who uses her music as magic in War for the Oaks by Emma Bull.
BONUS: Blood Price for a nearly blind supernatural PI, ex-cop Vicky Nelson does better than all right.
Another Bonus: Storm Front. A lot of people rave about Harry Dresden, but the toughest in that series is Karrin Murphy...

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 42 comments Definitely Kate Daniels Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews
Dory Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance
Mercy Thompson Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs
Sabina Kane Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1) by Jaye Wells

message 4: by Brianna (last edited Sep 27, 2012 03:14PM) (new)

Brianna | 36 comments For heroines, I'd definitely have to say Kate Daniels. The more I think about it though, Mac from the Fever series is actually a really tough heroine. I mean, she grows so much, and has to do so much that she never would have done, it almost makes her tougher.

For heroes? I don't know. It's a toss-up between Curran from the Kate Daniels series, and Jericho Barrons from the Fever series by Karen Moning.

Either way, I can't pick. Lol.

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 42 comments Brianna wrote: "For heroines, I'd definitely have to say Kate Daniels.

For heroes? I don't know. It's a toss-up between Curran from the Kate Daniels series, and Jericho Barrons from the Fever series by Karen Mon..."

Both are great heroes :)

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Julia wrote: "Who is the toughest? Anyone who keeps getting up? Here are heroes who are female that I really, really like and keep rereading:

1. Kate Daniels Magic Bites
2. The Women of the Otherworld Bitten. ..."

Yeah!! Another fan of de Lint! I love his books, and you're right. His female characters rock!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments I'd go with Kate for female. Maybe Ray Lilly from the Twenty Palaces series by Harry Connolly or Nik/Cal from the Rob Thurman series for males.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments I'd say Patricia Briggs heroines, both Mercy and ... Oh what is the character's name in Alpha and Omega?

And you know I like the heroine in Ilona Andrew's first book of her other series, On the Edge, because she was all about doing whatever it took to protect the kids.

For male kick-ass, I'd say the hero in The Man Who Crossed Worlds (Christ Strange is the author I think) or maybe Joe Nassisse's The Heretic...or Markhat in Frank Tuttle's series.

Joe Pike in the non-paranormal series by Robert Crais, very kick-ass/tough guy.

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 42 comments @ Maria, Anna is the character from Alpha and Omega

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Tammy wrote: "@ Maria, Anna is the character from Alpha and Omega"
YES! She's so brave. AND she kicks ass when she has to. (I'm terrible with names. I never forget the character, but maybe their names!) Thanks.

message 11: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Fables | 3 comments Loup Garron from Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey.

A very interesting character (a woman who literally knows no fear).

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59...

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 6 comments I totally agree about Karrin Murphy. She's not the most powerful and she won't always win in a fight, but darn is she tough!

I second the nomination for Mercy Thompson, too. She takes quite a beating and keeps on fighting.

message 13: by Astrid (new)

Astrid (dragonnoona) | 16 comments Without a doubt that would be Anita Blake in Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series. And please, no spoilers. I'm only on book six.

message 14: by Lorelle (new)

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 52 comments Maria wrote: "I'd say Patricia Briggs heroines, both Mercy and ... Oh what is the character's name in Alpha and Omega?

And you know I like the heroine in Ilona Andrew's first book of her other series, On the Ed..."

Maria I also loved Rose from The Edge series. Im only up to Bayou Moon now lol, but I did so love the way she looked after her little brothers. I hope that series continues blows me away.

Well of course Kate Daniels is right up there! Eugenie from Dark Swan series, and well you can never forget Anita Blake..that womans in a league of her own lol

message 15: by Lorelle (new)

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 52 comments Oh and Also Cat from Night Huntress!

message 16: by JackieR (last edited Oct 23, 2012 06:01AM) (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 93 comments I love this thread, because this is exactly the type of book I love. I have to say all time best are Anita Blake (early books) and Jane Yellowrock. I wish I could find more books where the women are tough as nails. Love that!

message 17: by Michelle (new)

JackieR wrote: "I love this thread, because this is exactly the type of book I love. I have to say all time best are Anita Blake (early books) and Jane Yellowrock. I wish I could find more books where the women ar..."

I love women who can take care of themselves, too. However, there are certain characters are just plain bitchy instead of kick a$$. It can be a fine line.

message 18: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 36 comments I really liked Rose from the first book of the Edge series too. Sounds like I may have to read the Dark Swan series, guess I've been putting it off since it sounds like there's kind of a lot of sex lol. If she's on this thread though....

As for the Anita Blake thing, I'd love to read them. Everyone loves her from the earlier books, but...I know I'd eventually quit them, for the same reason I've been putting off Dark Swan.

I agree with Michelle about the fine line between tough, and just unlikable. That's kind of what happened to me in the first book of Rachel Vincent's Shifters series. I hear she gets better, but sometimes in that book the heroine made me so mad. lol

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Brianna wrote: "I agree with Michelle about the fine line between tough, and just unlikable. That's kind of what happened to me in the first book of Rachel Vincent's Shifters series. I hear she gets better, but sometimes in that book the heroine made me so mad. lol "

That was my problem with Kate Daniels, too. I just didn't like her (although, I'm told she gets better as the series goes on.) Otoh, Sookie is sometimes too wimpy for me. And don't get me started on Bella...

message 20: by Lorelle (new)

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 52 comments Brianna wrote: "I really liked Rose from the first book of the Edge series too. Sounds like I may have to read the Dark Swan series, guess I've been putting it off since it sounds like there's kind of a lot of sex..."

Yes I really need to try the Shifters series again . I found it hard to read the first book ( I also hated the heroine) , and have been putting off the second for ages..Its really annoying as I am the biggest cat fan!! And she is a great writer. You guys tried Blood Bound (Unbound, #1) by Rachel Vincent ? Im about to read the second one! Re: The sex in Dark Swan is a bit over the top at times, but its sort of over pretty quick, it doesnt dominate ( unless it gets worse after Thorn Queen...)

message 21: by Lorelle (new)

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 52 comments JackieR wrote: "I love this thread, because this is exactly the type of book I love. I have to say all time best are Anita Blake (early books) and Jane Yellowrock. I wish I could find more books where the women ar..."

I have to start Jane Yellowrock this month! I hope shes awesome :) Also Ive only read the first book in The Hollows, how does this woman end up?

message 22: by John (new)

John Baird (johnnyb007) | 5 comments probably the toughest hero I've read in UF genre would be James Stark from the Sandman slim novels

message 23: by Michelle (new)

John wrote: "probably the toughest hero I've read in UF genre would be James Stark from the Sandman slim novels"

Is that the Neil Gaiman series?

message 24: by John (new)

John Baird (johnnyb007) | 5 comments sorry should have said the author is Richard Kadrey Sandman Slim

message 25: by Michelle (new)

John wrote: "sorry should have said the author is Richard Kadrey Sandman Slim"

Lol. Okay, thanks.

message 26: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 93 comments Lorelle wrote: "JackieR wrote: "I love this thread, because this is exactly the type of book I love. I have to say all time best are Anita Blake (early books) and Jane Yellowrock. I wish I could find more books wh..."

Lorelle, I do like the Hollows books, but I also get a little frustrated at times with the main character. Still definitely worth reading the series. Lots of fun characters.

message 27: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 36 comments Oh, you must continue with the Kate Daniels series, Michelle. :). It's one of the best UF ones I've read, at least.

Well, Lorelle, I think i'll be joining you in putting off reading the second book in the Shifters series. Lol. On one hand, I totally understood the heroine and why she was how she was, but then, sometimes she'd just be so unlikeable.

Also, thanks for the comments re: Dark Swan. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime. I think if I could read Fever and still love it, then I'll probably be fine with this, too.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Brianna wrote: "Oh, you must continue with the Kate Daniels series, Michelle. :). It's one of the best UF ones I've read, at least."

Lol. I really liked Curran, so I *have* to find out more about him! ; )

message 29: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 36 comments It just gets better. :D

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 192 comments Kate Daniels is one of my favorites - in fact, Ilona Andrews leads are among my fav heroes/heroines.

She is crude & rude, but Miriam Black is now up high on my kick-a** heroines list. And she doesn't have any magic, other than being able to tell when someone dies. She fights dirty. I liked book 1, Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1) by Chuck Wendig , but the last quarter of Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2) by Chuck Wendig made this action junkie very happy.

message 31: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 93 comments Kindle-aholic wrote: "Kate Daniels is one of my favorites - in fact, Ilona Andrews leads are among my fav heroes/heroines.

She is crude & rude, but Miriam Black is now up high on my kick-a** heroines list. And she does..."

Sounds like my kind of series. Definitely adding this TBR. In fact, just grabbed the first book! :)

message 32: by Michelle (new)

I love the covers. You can't tell it on the thumbnails, but those black things around her head are birds. Very cool!

message 33: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 36 comments You've convinced me to try these books too. :D. I heard great things, so not sure why I put getting them off for so long

message 34: by Affably (last edited Oct 25, 2012 07:45AM) (new)

Affably (Affably-Sociopathic) | 8 comments Well I'm also going to take the liberty to include some characters from the fantasy genre as well as urban fantasy cause I like both.

Dresden(Dresden Files)
Eric(Void City)
Jorgen(Prince of Thorns)
Rand'al Thor(Wheel of Time)
Atticus(Iron Druid Chronicles)
Caliban Leandros(Cal Leandros)
Grubbs Grady(Demonata)
Domino Riley(Underworld Cycle)
Vin(Mistborn)
Richard Rahl(Sword of Truth)

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 192 comments I hope you like the books - Wendig doesn't pull any punches and I wasn't kidding about "crude & rude." It totally fits within character, though, and I got why she acts the way she does.

message 36: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 93 comments Affably wrote: "Well I'm also going to take the liberty to include some characters from the fantasy genre.

Dresden(Dresden Files)
Eric(Void City)
Jorgen(Prince of Thorns)
Rand'al Thor(Wheel of Time)
Atticus(Iron ..."

Affably are those all males?

message 37: by Michelle (new)

We could start a kick a$$ male character thread... Certainly, there are a lot of themM

message 38: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Michelle wrote: "We could start a kick a$$ male character thread... Certainly, there are a lot of themM"

Those do appear to be all males. I can't remember if Vin in mistborn was the female or the male character (but the female wasn't very kickass, not in book one. IN fact, the book annoyed me to know end because the female was too easily fooled...) But I digress. We should have a thread for the kick-ass guys---there's some kick-ass guys that are secondary characters in some of the books we've already mentioned!

message 39: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 150 comments For female kicka$$- How about Marla Mason (Pratt T A (Tim)-Blood Engines) or Cherie Priest's vamp cat burglar in Bloodshot ?

(I second/third Harry Connolly's hero, and Kadrey's Sandman Slim.)

message 40: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Lorelle wrote: "Maria wrote: "I'd say Patricia Briggs heroines, both Mercy and ... Oh what is the character's name in Alpha and Omega?

And you know I like the heroine in Ilona Andrew's first book of her other ser..."

Yes, because kick-ass doesn't always mean kicking ass. It's also taking care of those around you who are weaker!!!

message 41: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 93 comments I just could not get into the Harry Dresden books. Slow moving. I didnt really read past the first book though. Plus I tend to like female leads better.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 192 comments Tasula wrote: "For female kicka$$- How about Marla Mason (Pratt T A (Tim)-Blood Engines) or Cherie Priest's vamp cat burglar in Bloodshot ?

(I second/third Harry Connolly's hero, and Kadrey's Sandman Slim.)"

Ooh, Marla is awesome. I need to read book 3 in that series. Bloodshot is good too.

message 43: by Affably (new)

Affably (Affably-Sociopathic) | 8 comments JackieR wrote: "Affably wrote: "Well I'm also going to take the liberty to include some characters from the fantasy genre.

Dresden(Dresden Files)
Eric(Void City)
Jorgen(Prince of Thorns)
Rand'al Thor(Wheel of Tim..."

Actually both Domino and Vin are both females.

message 44: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah I agree about De Lint’s heroines! They might not do martial arts or tote guns but they are all strong women!
I also love Jane Yellowrock and Mercy Thompson as well as the Gale sisters!

I recently discovered Mercedes Lackey’s Diana Tregarde
Burning Water (Diana Tregarde, #1) by Mercedes Lackey she also should be on this list!

message 45: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Jalilah wrote: "I agree about De Lint’s heroines! They might not do martial arts or tote guns but they are all strong women!
I also love Jane Yellowrock and Mercy Thompson as well as the Gale sisters!

I recently ..."

The Tregarde series is one of the first UF I read--before it was known as urban fantasy. Great series. I loved it!

message 46: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (katmax100) I just finished reading the 'demon accords' series by John Conroe and the main male character, Christian becomes increasingly kick A* as the series progresses. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this series. I has a strong central character in world populated with vampires, wares, witches etc.

Now I'm waiting impatiently on book 5 to be published as I really want to see where this story goes.

The first book in the series is God Touched

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Even though I dont like the new Anita Books at all since book 10, she's pretty kick a**. Also Kate from Magic bites series is as well

message 48: by Eloise (new)

Eloise Kindred | 7 comments Erin wrote: "Even though I dont like the new Anita Books at all since book 10, she's pretty kick a**. Also Kate from Magic bites series is as well"

I agree regarding Anita Blake. Narcissus in Chains was the last one I read and it was so bad i haven't picked another one up since! Think she has sex about 8 times in one book!
Although I enjoyed Twilight and True Blood novels, urban fantasy works so much better when the heroine has active powers and kicks ass. What's the point of a first person narrative if every time something horrific happens she runs and hides??!!
The series I'm writing at the moment should be up the street of anyone who likes a kick ass heroine.

message 49: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 93 comments Eloise wrote: "Erin wrote: "Even though I dont like the new Anita Books at all since book 10, she's pretty kick a**. Also Kate from Magic bites series is as well"

I agree regarding Anita Blake. Narcissus in Chai..."

Eloise completely agree with this point of view! Look forward to your book!

message 50: by Affably (new)

Affably (Affably-Sociopathic) | 8 comments Seriously though whats hard to find is a book series where the women are not outmatched by the males which is extremely annoying especially when the main character is one such woman, I fid it chauvinistic and annoying.

The main character should be able to go toe to toe with some of the tougher species of their world regardless of gender.

It doesn't matter whether the author is male or not in fact I've seen women authors who far too often make their women protagonist hide behind a stronger male, I am sick of it and it annoys me extremely much.

« previous 1