2021 Reading Challenge discussion

Frankenstein
This topic is about Frankenstein
ARCHIVE 2012 > Oct 2012 - Frankenstein: Chapters 9-16 (Contains Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3957 comments This thread is for discussion of chapters nine through 16.

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments This was the hardest part of the book for me to complete. Just chug along, the ending is worth it!

Renae Richardson | 21 comments Chapter 9-16 take a poignant look at life through the eyes of whom everyone else deems the monster. A being who is victim of circumstance. He so desires to be loved, to be part of a benevolent community. However, he is denied that right and is a victimized because of the circumstances of his birth, Therefore, he goes on a quest to find his creator and seek an answer. He seeks and answer to why, his life is the way it is?

This story paints a perfect contrast of what society views as a monstrosity and the real profile of a monster. It is also a glaring look at how society sometimes creates monsters through neglect and unfair bias.

Nathan (nthnlwly) I felt so badly for the monster in this portion! When the cottagers tossed him out so meanly, I was so upset! He really is a nice monster, despite his looks.

I agree with you Renae! This part definitely juxtaposes societies views and the true case. What a good analysis.

message 5: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3957 comments Loved this section! I'm going to keep going, and I'll post more here tomorrow.

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 829 comments I really liked this section too. The monster is so sweet and child-like but I just wished he wasn't so stupid! I'm glad I decided to read this as it's actually quite enjoyable.

message 7: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3957 comments I thought it was amazing how Shelley described his learning. (Before I got to this part, I thought it ridiculous that the monster could survive on his own, but I'm glad she explained how that happened.) I thought this whole section was really philosophical and interesting.

I think Renae hits the nail right on its head.

Sharon (sharint) | 734 comments It was interesting to see the story through the eyes of the monster. Once I got through this part I decided I could speed read through to the end.