Urban Fantasy discussion

Writers - Read This!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Oct 13, 2012 04:50PM) (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
The Urban Fantasy Group loves to hear from writers (after all, where would readers be without writers?), but first and foremost, this is a reader-centered group. The Urban Fantasy group is not here for the purposes of self-promotion and spamming.

Writers, the very best way to promote your work is to become active in the community. Post about what you like to read, not about what you've written. Share your interests and build relationships. Don't submit the group to drive-by spamming. Always be polite.

We ask that you use courtesy and common sense when promoting your work. Please adhere to the guidelines below:

- The 'introduce yourself' forum is a way for new members of the Urban Fantasy group to get to know one another. It is not a way for writers to slip in book promo. If you are a writer, please use the 'self promotion' thread to discuss your work.
- If you have an announcement about your book release, blog tour, ARC, or other event, please post it in the 'Self-Promotion' folder.
- Please do not recommend your own books in the 'Recommendations' discussion folder.
- No sock puppets. Ever.

If you cannot adhere to these guidelines, your membership to the group may be revoked.

Post edited 10/13/2012

message 2: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (ladyofbookscoffee) Hi I'm Gabby and I am a budding writer. I love to both read and write about Urban Fantasy. Right now I am working on an Urban Fantasy story surrounding a young woman trying to live her life as a Banshee. I love Banshee's, they have such an interesting culture and mythology. Plus, it helps that I'm Irish I guess. Seriously, I love the realm of the fae and anywhere in Celtic/Irish-Gaelic folklore the Banshee always makes an appearance. However, there seems to be a less than impressive collection of Banshee based Urban Fantasy books. So I have decided to write my own.

Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts) (lanieadamsk) | 17 comments That sounds awesome Gabrielle^^ Reading about a Banshee would definitely be something new, specially if geared for adults. :)

message 4: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (ladyofbookscoffee) Lanie wrote: "That sounds awesome Gabrielle^^ Reading about a Banshee would definitely be something new, specially if geared for adults. :)"

Thanks that's what I'm going for.

message 5: by JAIME (new)

JAIME (graysfanatomy) | 1 comments Lanie wrote: "That sounds awesome Gabrielle^^ Reading about a Banshee would definitely be something new, specially if geared for adults. :)"

I'd definitely read that!

message 6: by William (new)

William Holden (bookenthusiast3) | 56 comments do you need to be a published writer to comment because I write UF stories aswell

message 7: by B. (new)

B. Hughes-Millman (bhughes-millman) | 3 comments What are your favorite Characters in Urban Fantasy? I used to love the Vampire segment, however, the genre has become saturated. I've recently come to like Archangels. I would like to hear from others what they're reading that has caught their interest.

message 8: by John (last edited Mar 18, 2016 07:02AM) (new)

John Pirillo (johnpirillo) | 60 comments I really like the detective genre in urban fantasy like the Dresden series and a few others that are similar. It's refreshing to see the crossover between realms of reality and fantasy.

The Dresden series got made into a series on Syfy for a while, but the series was canceled. Fortunately, the great actor who played him now stars as the Captain in the Arrow series, another reality/fantasy crossover.

Not all magic has to be so overt as magic wandy stuff, it can also be pushing reality, the way that Dean Koontz does. If anything he is one of the more accomplished fantasy writers, because he blends fantasy and reality as if they were a two layered cake, rather than struggling zombies trying to get attention.

Probably the best urban fantasy characters I've read are the Odd John series from Koontz, the Dresden Files from Jim Butcher and the Garrett for Hire series from Glen Cook.

But if you go back aways, then Robert Heinlein's Glory Road remains one of the finest, as well as L Sprague deCamp's series with the sylogism mobile nonsense. Loved them as a child.

Those are my thoughts at this moment.

message 9: by B. (new)

B. Hughes-Millman (bhughes-millman) | 3 comments John wrote: "I really like the detective genre in urban fantasy like the Dresden series and a few others that are similar. It's refreshing to see the crossover between realms of reality and fantasy.

The Dresde..."

Those are some great suggestions, John. I haven't read Dean Koontz but I'm familiar with his name. I saw the early episodes of Arrow and thought there was a lot of potential for the series, but felt it fell flat with the same old "Hollywood Formula" in the story line. I would have liked better writing and better acting, so I gave up, although, my son likes the series, as well as my husband. They don't care about those things as much as I.

I really liked the idea of the Grim, Sleepy Hollow and Once Upon a Time series. I really enjoy a good retelling of a classic with modern emphasis and alternative viewpoints. With these series, however, Once Upon a Time started off great then became formulaic and predictable. Sleepy Hollow was shocking and a although I don't have the time to watch anymore, I didn't see it becoming too yawn-worthy. Grim seems to be holding it's own, also.

I guess, in a book, I want something that hasn't been overdone, isn't predictable and connects me solidly with the character. I don't like the weak female who needs saving stereotype. I don't like the bad guy always having the same characteristics so that you know who they are before you know what they've done. I want a bad guy you loved before you knew their crime. One you hate and love, but you don't know why you still care. I also want protagonists who are so flawed that you get mad at them but forgive them because they're only human, or maybe not human at all. And I, like you, want the paranormal or fantasy to be something you don't think about but accept as realistic while you are in this world because it is so understated. You don't need to draw my attention to the magic. Just let it happen.

There's a new book coming out called Blackbird Summer and I read a short (The Chans) with a scene from the book from the other protagonists perspective and it was well-written. She also gives the first chapter preview at the end and it's good. You might want to check it out.

message 10: by John (new)

John Pirillo (johnpirillo) | 60 comments I agree with you about Once Upon a Time. It's the newest Disney character of the season each season, climaxing in all the characters becoming good and bad and back and forth. It'd be nice to see them continue to develop instead of always going backwards and forwards.

People do change, however slowly, and it'd be nice to see that.

On a recent episode they had a doorway to heaven in hell, which I thought was a nice touch. Usually, they skirt that aspect of life, that we have choices that can create heaven or hell and it all boils down to making those choices and sticking by them.

And yes, most TV shows are pretty formulaic. But sometimes it's nice to kick back and not think at all, since most of us think too much most of the time...if we think at all. :)

I have written several of my villains as products of bad environments and choices, and show them reconciling themselves to a new course of action, but perhaps failing or succeeding on the intensity of their desire to change. Much as we do as humans, who are constantly faced with going to hell...being unhappy...or going to heaven...enjoying our life no matter what!

Please let me know where to look for Blackbird Summer. I'll check it out.

My favorite authors seem to be aging out of the business, and it'd be nice to start some more new ones.

A new urban fantasy series has started with James Roland, who teamed up with a lovely female writer, about vampires, the Vatican and legends. Fun reading.

Thanks for the chat.

John

message 11: by B. (new)

B. Hughes-Millman (bhughes-millman) | 3 comments John wrote: "I agree with you about Once Upon a Time. It's the newest Disney character of the season each season, climaxing in all the characters becoming good and bad and back and forth. It'd be nice to see th..."
Blackbird Summer is by Em Shotwell. She's on Goodreads. Check out her page and I think there should be a link. The book comes out in April. I can't wait to get a copy. You can get The Chans for free and test it out to see if it's for you. It's a Southern charmer type of story and it's very unique. I don't usually like Southern but I liked this a lot.

I like your idea of Villains. They have to choose their course, become good or bad. Same with protagonists.

In my writing, I don't decide who will be good or bad until later in the story. I want it to be as much a shock to me, which road I take, as it is for the reader. That way, I can write a fun or loving or interesting character, then reveal their deep secret. You can never tell who will be good, or even, who will die. I kill main characters. I'm one of THOSE authors who doesn't outline.

I'll check out James Roland. And I'll check out your page.

Good chatting!

B

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Johnson (chris-johnson) | 8 comments Michelle wrote: "The Urban Fantasy Group loves to hear from writers (after all, where would readers be without writers?), but first and foremost, this is a reader-centered group. The Urban Fantasy group is not here..."

What does "sock puppet" mean in this group?

message 13: by Katy (new)

Katy Lohman | 2 comments Chris wrote: "Michelle wrote: "The Urban Fantasy Group loves to hear from writers (after all, where would readers be without writers?), but first and foremost, this is a reader-centered group. The Urban Fantasy ..."

2 years later, I wonder what a sock puppet is, too.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
A sock puppet is a fake account, usually created by an author. The sock puppet account will post things like positive reviews in order to boost the standing of the author's own book.