Coursera Friends discussion

General > Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Just want to say a welcome to the new people who have joined.

Please feel free to introduce yourself if you care to...

I'm in San Jose, California. I've got a variety of interests but through all that is my desire to learn, so I've found Coursera perfect for me. I don't care about the grades, just the ability to learn some new things...

message 2: by Xiri (last edited Sep 24, 2012 10:41AM) (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
I go by Xiri, but my real name is Vilija - I'm a native of Lithuania.

Just as Jute, I'm taking the courses for the sake of learning, and not grades nowadays :) especially for tying out the ones I could not enroll normally, namely Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities.

My hobbies besides the ones that might be obvious are amateur hobby writing... and hoarding everything and trivia :-s

message 3: by Seawood (new)

Seawood :)

I'm in the UK and I'm another who can't resist the opportunity to learn something. I originally started Coursera just for fun but serendipity has pointed me towards a potential new career path, and a lot of the courses seem relevant. So I've signed up for several dozen and hopefully some of them will be useful as well as enjoyable!

message 4: by Emy (last edited Sep 24, 2012 10:13AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 88 comments Mod
I'm Emy, well it's my nickname but it's what people know me as in real life as well as online... I'm in NW England now, although from the SE originally.

I'm doing these for fun (SciFi), for work (e.g. gamification), and also to get myself back in the habit of studying. I'm hoping to go back to uni in the next year or so, and will really need to get myself organised since I'm going to be studying and working at the same time! I'm not overly worried about grades since it's not really something that will either go on a CV or be accepted on a university application (at least not yet)... For me it's more the exercise in working to deadlines, specification etc. that's a good habit to get back into.

message 5: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Emy wrote: "I'm Emy, well it's my nickname but it's what people know me as in real life as well as online... I'm in NW England now, although from the SE originally.

I'm doing these for fun (SciFi), for work (..."

Oh, good luck! Same about me, but I am still not well for deadlines, and seriously doubt I will study in real life again soon :)

message 6: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Emy wrote: "I'm Emy, well it's my nickname but it's what people know me as in real life as well as online... I'm in NW England now, although from the SE originally."

pmsl. We're on courses with hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world and...you're just down the road from me, judging by your profile! It is a teeny, tiny internet. :D

message 7: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
I guess I should kinda mention my amateur interest in religions, anthropology and role playing too - my "writing" hobby started from that, though play-by-post online variety, and now I'm kinda trying to get into tabletop sorts. I do not consider myself a geek, but some thought I am alike :)

message 8: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
I'm a geek... and I was a geek long before it was fashionable. :)

I love MMOs and have played most of them since the original release of Everquest. I love to bake! I dye fabric and quilt.

My husband and I have recently started playing tabletop games and I really enjoy that. We had a good group to play with but three of the people moved away recently and I really wish we could find some people to fill in.

I'm so happy to connect with you from across the world!

Like Xiri I am interested in religions and anthropology. I'm also very interested in Psychology.

Heck..I'm just interested in lots of things.

message 9: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 88 comments Mod
Heh not far at all!

message 10: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Jute wrote: "I'm a geek... and I was a geek long before it was fashionable. :)

I love MMOs and have played most of them since the original release of Everquest. I love to bake! I dye fabric and quilt.

My h..."

I can "never" figure out what to specialize in - on the other hand, my interest is mostly shallow and very, very fleeting. You sound awesome!

Heh, my boyfriend thought I was a geek :) He is certainly one, me... well, more like interested ;)

message 11: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
The quasi-geek and near-rebel (though a very unlikely to ever rebel one) in me is too excited about the upcoming "Little Brother" read - especially due to its likely associations to cyberpunk and hacker scene, which I hope is well-depicted, as it's one of the most significant parts of the movement. Oh, and I adore his stance on copyright.

Primarily because of the mess I tried to learn about publishing, some of it pretty ugly - DRM, restrictions, censorship... then again, most here tend to view it differently than in the USA to begin with.

I hope the book won't let my hopes down.

message 12: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Emy wrote: "Heh not far at all!"

Close enough for coffee, in fact. Now that's freaky. :)

I loved Little Brother. It's one of those books that's so close to the world we live in now, just a few steps closer to the dark side, that it's quite scary. Computer security is something I'm aware of more than many as I'm both the daughter of and married to, sys admins, so safe networking and the potential for misuse has always been part of my world. Though I claim no expertise!

On another note entirely I am a D&D nut also - been playing tabletops since I was 18 or thereabouts. Not so much with MMOs though I love a decent RPG for XBox. :)

message 13: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Caroline wrote: "Emy wrote: "Heh not far at all!"

Close enough for coffee, in fact. Now that's freaky. :)

I loved Little Brother. It's one of those books that's so close to the world we live in now, just a few st..."

I used to be very into reading about hacking and such - though I'd never be able to be one (I do not mean the popular usage of a malicious cracker, BTW... more of a person who is very, very smart and finds genius ways to "hack" something into doing unexpected things - in other words, pretty neutral).

Oh, D&D? My boyfriend is a mostly GURPS nut, while I prefer the New World of Darkness :)

message 14: by Jute (last edited Sep 24, 2012 02:00PM) (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Wow..D&D... see this is going to really date me though you guys already know I'm old! ;)

I played the original D&D and then the Advanced Edition... and there were a group of us women who played every Friday for 7 years from 1985 to 1992. We were all adult women and it was really unusual at that time for women to play. I miss that time! One of them is still my best friend. The others have moved away and lost contact but I still think of them.

Right now we are playing things like Dominion or Agricola... we have a TON of board games and I am really happy we've started playing.

message 15: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Jute wrote: "Wow..D&D... see this is going to really date me though you guys already know I'm old! ;)

I played the original D&D and then the Advanced Edition... and there were a group of us women who played e..."

My boyfriend's dream is to be a board games developer :) I do not exactly get them, but am willing to learn.

message 16: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
If I can, I will urge my boyfriend to read "Little Brother". The description of LARPs and co is marvelous :)

message 17: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Matt wrote: "Matt, I live in Elgood, West Virginia, in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains in the eastern US. (Yes, it's that rural.) I grew up playing AD&D 2nd Edition and Cyberpunk 2020. For a long time, ..."

Is it just me, or are geeky people about there? No pun intended :)

message 18: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Hurray for the geeky people ;)

message 19: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Jute wrote: "Hurray for the geeky people ;)"

:)

message 20: by Seawood (new)

Seawood :) I started with 2nd Ed too; some Call of Cthulhu and Shadowrun, then some Vampire LARP for a brief spell in the national game. Playing 3.5 at the moment; my group took part in the playtest for 13th Age recently. That is good, I'd recommend it if you want to break free of detailed tables. I was supposed to be learning to GM Dragon Age this summer but a combination of the Sci-Fi course and getting hooked on endurance swimming means it's had to be put back a bit.

message 21: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Caroline wrote: ":) I started with 2nd Ed too; some Call of Cthulhu and Shadowrun, then some Vampire LARP for a brief spell in the national game. Playing 3.5 at the moment; my group took part in the playtest for 13..."

What would you recommend to someone who is not familiar with D&D as a good start? Which edition?

message 22: by Seawood (new)

Seawood I don't think I'm a good person to ask - I don't have much experience of 4th ed, or of running D&D itself. It's worth watching to see what comes out of the next version but honestly, I'd check out 13th Age - it's a similar vibe but not as complicated to get to grips with. I must say I didn't try out the magic system myself (I usually play D&D clerics and wanted something different this time so I took a fighter), but it seemed to work out ok for the rest of the group.

http://www.pelgranepress.com/

message 23: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Thanks :) Let's just say that amongst GURPS players D&D is not exactly to be fond of, but I'd like to give it a try, especially since many MMORPGs are actually based on it.