Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
This topic is about A Secret Love
Archived: Series Reads > A Secret Love (Cynster #5) by Stephanie Laurens, start date October 20

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Sep 24, 2012 04:05AM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

A Secret Love by Stephanie Laurens

Goodreads Synopsis:

All of Regency London knows that no Cynster male would ever walk away from a lady in distress...but their protection can come at a tantalizingly high price. And now, Stephanie Laurens has created her boldest Cynster yet--Gabriel--a man who has known the pleasure of many women, but who has given his heart to no one.

She was desperate for his help...When a mysterious lady, her face hidden by a black veil, begs Gabriel Cynster for his help, he cannot refuse her plea. For despite her disguise, Gabriel finds the woman alluring and he is powerless to deny her. But he exacts payment as only a Cynster would demand: with each piece of information he uncovers, she must pay him--in the form of a kiss.

He was powerlerss to resist...

Lady Alathea Morwellan knows Gabriel is intrigued, but despite the sparks that fly between them, they have never passed a civil moment together. Yet as the stakes get higher, so does Gabriel's desire for payment. And with each overpowering kiss, each passionate embrace, Alathea knows that she will not be able to resist his ultimate seduction...but what will happen when she reveals the truth?

✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀

We're continuing on with the Cynster family! Drop by to answer some questions, or post some questions or just say "hi!" Be warned, there will be spoilers!

Start Date: October 20th

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, one of my favs in the series. Hopefully, I'm in!

message 3: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I hope this one is as good as Demon's book.

message 4: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina | 5563 comments So ive got a few weeks to finish Demon's book.

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yaaay I'm in

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Almost time! Everybody ready? :)

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm ready :-)

message 8: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I am!

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Want me to take the first set of q's? I won't mind :)

message 10: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Sounds good to me! Thanks for offering :)

message 11: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments That's great

message 12: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina | 5563 comments Aaahhh, I'd forgotten about this one! Thanks for the reminder!

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'd never heard of the term "ape-leader" before ,has an interesting definition on wiki.LOL

message 14: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I've never heard of that either...I'm going to have to look it up LOL

message 15: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina | 5563 comments Oh my goodness, that's worse than old-maid!

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lol I was wondering what ape leader was.

I just finished ch6 so I will get the q's for ch 1-6 up soon. Gotta run to the store first though... so they'll be up this evening :)

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Kit★ wrote: "Lol I was wondering what ape leader was.

I just finished ch6 so I will get the q's for ch 1-6 up soon. Gotta run to the store first though... so they'll be up this evening :)"

The part "neglecting increase and multiply " had me laughing for a while.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Kit★'s Questions for Ch. 1-6

1. Already in the prologue, Alathea is shown to be very responsible, taking care of the family's finances, and ensuring her step-siblings have all the expected things in life. What do you think of her so far? Do you think it's likely that an unmarried woman back then would control the finances of her father, step-mother, and siblings?

2. Rupert Melrose Cynster, huh? Sorry but I'm rofl over that. Egads, no wonder he prefers to go by Gabriel, it's a much 'cooler' name. What do you think? Why do you think his nickname is Gabriel?

3. Wait a minute. Alathea's siblings keep getting referred to as step-siblings, but in chapter 2 when she's speaking with her step-mother Serena, they talk about how Charlie, Alathea's brother and her father's heir, is a combination of both Serena's and Alathea's father's traits. So wouldn't that make the siblings half-siblings, and not step-siblings, as step-siblings would imply that they were Serena's children from a previous marriage, not sired by Alathea's father, right? Or am I crazy? Or is this just some weird author goof?

4. So Gabriel and Alathea (and Lucifer too) are childhood pals from way back. Do you like this type of romance, where old friends somehow suddenly notice each other in 'that way' and fall in love? Why or why not?

5. As for Alathea's disguise... how long do you think that's going to work? Frankly I'm surprised he hasn't figured it out yet. I mean, a veil (which is somewhat see-through I'd imagine so she could see), and a pair of high heels, and suddenly he doesn't recognize someone he's known for over twenty years? Or do you think it's believable, as they always meet in shadowy places?

6. Of course Gabriel has to get some sort of reward for so kindly agreeing to help the poor 'countess'. I think this is where the trouble's going to come in, they're going to get too carried away making out or something, and he's going to see who she is. What do you think? Do you think she'll be able to give him everything and still keep her identity a secret, or will he find out who she is before it goes that far?

7. Why do you think Gabriel and Alathea's childhood friendship suddenly turned awkward in their tween years? Was it because he started noticing her as a girl? Because from his inner thoughts and stuff, he doesn't have any attractions to her (at least until that scene where he saved her from the rearing horse). Or was it because deep down, his subconscious knew she was special, even if it takes him years to realize?

8. Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone in this family is hooking up freaky fast? It's only been a couple weeks book-time since Demon and Flick's wedding, and all the others before that were close together too. Just an observation, lol, but I'd think it was weird if all my cousins decided to get married all within a few months.

9. What are your thoughts on dear Gabriel so far? Do you think he's exactly like his cousins, or is there something that sets him apart in a little way?

10. Were you surprised to see Gerrard Debbington, Patience's brother who we met in book #2 show up to play a part in this book? He's got a book of his own somewhere up the line, do you think he's going to be a good hero?

11. Do you get the feeling that when Gabriel finds out who his mysterious countess is, he's going to be one pissed off Cynster? Or do you think it'll go over ok when he learns it's Alathea?

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments 1-The plot is very unbelievable , it’s very unlikely that the father leaves all the finances for his daughter and then sign something without telling her. But I’m enjoying it so far and I like her a lot.

2-yeah Melrose had me ROFL too .May be he is the angel between the two brothers .

3-wow yeah good point , no I think you’re right . It should be half-siblings instead of step-siblings ! it’s probably just a slip-up .

4-They were playmates but it doesn't seems Althea and Gabriel were very friendly.
For some weird reason I've had that episode of friends where Rachel and Joey are trying to have sex in my mind, where Rachel lights candles and says “sexy sexy sexy “in a weird tone! That romance I did like if it had worked out . Anyway Whether I like this type of romance or not, it depends on the way it works out. I like it better when they don’t see each other for some years and then see each other and then notice each other rather than being friendly and close for years and then noticing each other out of blue! Do I make sense?

5-him not recognizing her? Absolutely unbelievable but I’m enjoying the overall story so I ignore that.

6-I’m not going answer this one , I've read ahead.

7-I thought he was attracted to her but it didn't settle with him or he didn't recognize it as attraction and he had the reaction he had!

8-It’s not really weird for me Kit . My cousins , (5 or 6 I can’t remember )got married or engaged in the last year . My husband says it’s a contagious disease that runs in my family!

9-I’m not sure he seems like all the other Cynsters .

10-I hope so , and there definitely would be painting related !Maybe he’ll paint the heroine naked .LOL

11-not going to answer this one either

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I love this book. One of my fav in the series.

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I love this book. One of my fav in the series."

Hey Lisa Kay , you haven't been around lately .How's the renovation going? Is it done? are you still on the vegan diet?

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Oct 21, 2012 08:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments The renovation is NOT done! But I see the light at the end of the tunnel... that and an empty bank account. LOL! That is why I haven't been around much; I'm trying to reel things to a halt and it is taking even more of my time.

I have company coming for Thanksgiving, so I've got to get there. The trouble is, everything that has to be put back in its place has to be CLEANED! So much dust. (Wish your husband was here, ShoSho!) Finally broke down - after being soooooo sick of moving things for the upteenth time - and got one of those storage things (1-800-PACK-RAT). LOL!

Except...

One worker was here the other day and sliced off the tip of his finger. As a nurse, I could do next to nothing except run it under cold water and hold pressure because I had packed my heavy-duty first aid kit in the storage locker!

They are putting a fresh coat of paint on everything in the inside, so it is looking nice.

Sticking with the Vegan lifestyle and LOVING it! Working on getting a new apron to match my new kitchen colors: "Plant Powered Kitchen." I've lost 27 and 1/2 pounds as of last Friday. The swelling has totally gone from my feet - and not come back for the last two weeks. I finally started including exercise (walking) regularly now. Cooking tons and trying out new recipes and using the workmen as guinea pigs. Seems like I go to the Whole Foods grocery store every day now. (Went TWICE the other day. LOL!)

message 23: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments "Sticking with the Vegan lifestyle and LOVING it! Working on getting a new apron to match my new kitchen colors: "Plant Powered Kitchen." I've lost 27 and 1/2 pounds as of last Friday."

Wow that's great .I wish I had the iron will to do it. I didn't see my sister for 2 years when she became Vegan (She doesn't live in AU)When I saw her I couldn't believe my eyes , she had lost a lot of weight and she looked 10 years younger!
Post a picture of you new apron when you get it :)

Lisa Kay wrote: "The renovation is NOT done! But I see the light at the end of the tunnel... that and an empty bank account. LOL! That is why I haven't been around much; I'm trying to reel things to a halt and i..."

I'll be happy to lend him to you for a while .LOL I'm pissed at him and not talking to him so he's all yours for now.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lol, ShoSho, @ #4, yea, you make sense! I think it's more believable if they haven't seen each other in a long time, and then reunite to find each other interesting. When it just happens all out of the blue, it makes me suspicious :) And @ #8, that's funny. In my family, a wedding is something that happens maybe once a decade. The last cousin that got married was about 6 years ago, and her twin brother is showing no signs of getting hitched any time soon. The older cousins all married when I was in elementary and middle school, spaced out by a few years. And then my other cousins are all around 17-21, my little brother too, and none of them going to get married any time soon. :D

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Oct 21, 2012 08:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho wrote: "I'll be happy to lend him to you for a while .LOL I'm pissed at him and not talking to him so he's all yours for now."

**snortsnort** Okay, but will he eat Vegan?

ShoSho wrote: "I wish I had the iron will to do it."

Really, I thought for sure I'd fail. No willpower, whatsoever. I only did it b/c my BFF wanted to give it another go. (I'd never tried before.) And honestly, my feet were so swollen that when I went to the shoe store the salesman (gently as he could) suggested men's shoes. (Ugly men's shoes, at that. Ugh!) I was soooooooo miserable! After two - count them - two days, my right foot edema was COMPLETELY gone and my left was 1/2 the size. This totally converted me. I can honestly say I still have aches and pains of old age, but I feel better each and every day.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Hey Lisa Kay! Nice to see you around. You're totally makin' me all wanna go vegan... I really need to learn to make myself like more fruits and vegs...

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I didn't think I'd go for it, Kit★. I do eat something called Beyond Meat, which is a meat substitute. It is amazing. I've had several people try it and they - like me - swear it is chicken. They have really perfected these type of things in the last 10 years. I don't think I could have done it back then. Plus, now that I'm retired I have the time to experiment with new recipes and tweak my failures - or try something else.

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Totally helping my migraines, too. I guess I just got so miserable, it was too dramatic of an improvement to ignore!

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "
**snortsnort** Okay, but will he eat Vegan?
"

Probably not !Just send him to nearest fast food place:D

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LOL! That is what my girl-friend's boyfriend does; he runs out to McDonald's late at night every now and then. He actually doesn't hate the Vegan thing too much and is doing this less and less. (It is a process and I don't think most people can do it "cold turkey.") He is losing weight, too. But, you know how men are - they skip a meal and lose five pounds. (The stinkers!)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lol, it might have to be more of a forceful thing with me. I can count the types of vegs I like on fewer than all my fingers, and the types of fruits I like on like, two fingers, lol! Put nothing but that stuff in my house and I guess I'll eventually get hungry enough to eat it... What about dairy products, do you do the soy milk and all that? Because a large portion of my daily foods is dairy, milk, cheese, yogurt, etc, etc. The meat wouldn't be so bad to do without because I don't eat much anyways besides some chicken and the occasional bacon cheeseburger. Oh, and fish. Really, I'm a carbohydrate kid, that's my downfall. Atkins would never work for me because that's all I eat is bread and potatoes :o My mom had some success on that, but as soon as she'd get a craving for some fries, or a beer, the weight would come right back.
And totally jealous of men's weight losing capabilities. My little brother (who is a big guy, over six feet and probably around 300 lbs) just lost 50 lbs after getting a job cooking at Cracker Barrel. He didn't even change his eating or exercise habits. Just the simple act of going to work for 8 hrs a day a couple days a week, and it just melted off. I'm like, no fair, man!

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments But for health reasons, I'd like to do it. Gotta do something. I can already tell how much more unhealthy I am with all the weight I gained with the kid. I was never thin, but now I'm extra-large, and I can feel it in my back, and if I sit on the couch or computer chair for too long, when I stand up my hips hurt, and all the general shortness of breath and high blood pressure... 'Tis time for a change of some sort, even if it's only a small one to start with :)

message 33: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2012 04:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments My Hubs was recently diagnosed with diabetes, so I've been looking into various diets for him and we'll just eat whatever I cook :) I know we won't go Vegan, but some of the recipes look yummy. I need to loose about 70 pounds. My blood pressure has been a little on the high side and diabetes actually runs in my family. Both of my parents have it. It won't hurt for us to eat better.

As for me answering the questions that are posted...I'll get to them sometime today (only on ch 5). Hubs came home this weekend and is still here. He's going to the dr this morning and then will be heading back to Georgia and work so I'll get back to reading :)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Alright, I finished chapter 12. Trying to keep myself from reading any farther... It's kind of a fight, lol :)

message 35: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Susan's Answers to Kits Questions

1. I don't find it believable at all. I do like that Alathea is strong and responsible. She'd have to be to be with a Cynster.

2. I did laugh about his name when my BFF asked what I was reading this morning. Not sure why he's got gabriel as his name. I'm sure we'll find out.

3. You're right! It never even registered they weren't step-siblings. My guess is it's a mistake overlooked by author and editor.

4. I do like the friends to lovers trope. Could the animosity between them be that Gabriel has had feelings for her all along? And he's fighting them?

5. I'd like to think he's so caught up in the mysteriousness of her that he hasn't made the connection. And yeah, it is dark when they meet.

6. I think he'll figure it out before it gets that far.

7. I said it before, I think he's always been attracted to her and just denied it.

8. Hahaha marriage as a disease. Not too weird. Thu believe in fate and she's pulling the strings ;)

9. I'm thinking he's just like the other men.

10. I like that he was brought back. Minnie and Tibbs too. I think he'll be a good hero. I like him.

11. I'm not sure. I would lean towards him being mad, but since he's had this reaction to her, he might be fine with it.

message 36: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina | 5563 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "My Hubs was recently diagnosed with diabetes, so I've been looking into various diets for him and we'll just eat whatever I cook :) I know we won't go Vegan, but some of the recipes look yummy. I..."

I have the opposite problem. At this year's yearly check-up, my doctor told me I was the fittest obese person he's seen. No cholesterol, low blood pressure, etc. I play weekly sport, swim and do a weekly Zumba class, and yet I can't get below a size 16 (not sure if sizes are the same in the states). I had recently started a Bodytrim diet, which is quite similar to the Atkin's diet, I think, and managed to lose 5 kilos in three weeks. I was so stoked! Then My boys birthdays at the end of September, I had a couple of glasses of wine, and some birthday cake and I put two of those kilos right back on. *sigh* It seems horribly unfair to stress out and watch every calorie and be good for THREE WEEKS, only for it to take two DAYS to undo it. And I have friends who hate excercise and don't have to watch what they eat and they're skinny minis. Horribly. Unfair.

*double sigh*

I think I'm going to have to join weight watchers again. *triple sigh* OK, I got that whingey-whine out of my system.

And on that note, I'll answer the first set of questions in a little while :-)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Great CaroB! Who's got the q's for 7-11?
I'm totally jealous of the people who don't have to work to be skinny either. >.<

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2012 03:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gah weight! I'm trying to lose the extra kilos (about 4)I gained during the winter by walking to work everyday. 45 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the afternoon. but I can't do diet. the best i can do is eat smaller portions for dinner and no desert :D

message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Kit★ wrote: "Great CaroB! Who's got the q's for 7-11?
I'm totally jealous of the people who don't have to work to be skinny either. >.<"

As for the Qs I am at work right now . I don't think if I can do it and I'm way ahead , but I'll do the next set, from 13-18 .

message 40: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'd do the questions, but it won't be till the morning my time cause I'm only on ch 8. If y'all don't mind waiting about 15 hours, I'll be glad to do them :)

message 41: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments CaroB, we ought to do weight watchers together. Maybe set a thread up and people could join in if they want. I'm starting back counting points next week.

message 42: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments And yes! I'm so jealous of those who can eat anything. I use to be that way, but 5 kids have destroyed that.

message 43: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina | 5563 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "CaroB, we ought to do weight watchers together. Maybe set a thread up and people could join in if they want. I'm starting back counting points next week."

What an awesome idea!! Would keep the motivation up!

message 44: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I can't imagine these caps that she wears . I've been searching the internet for a picture of beaded caps but nothing . Do you know how they look like?

message 45: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina | 5563 comments Shosho, I'm picturing them like this, but with more bead work:

[image error]

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "My Hubs was recently diagnosed with diabetes, so I've been looking into various diets for him and we'll just eat whatever I cook :) I know we won't go Vegan, but some of the recipes look yummy."

FYI: It is a lifestyle that is strongly suggested for diabetics.

message 47: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I imagined something like a piece of fabric. Maybe like the Amish wear?

message 48: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments But they don't look bad , I was looking for something ugly , like the white caps that they wear in historical movies !

message 49: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2012 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "I imagined something like a piece of fabric. Maybe like the Amish wear?"

yes that's it! but in colors rather than white

http://www.etsy.com/listing/100814334...

message 50: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina | 5563 comments lol, I don't know, I think that last one looks pretty bad :-)

« previous 1 3

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Secret Love (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephanie Laurens (other topics)