Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Graffiti Heaven
This topic is about Graffiti Heaven
Archives > Graffiti Heaven

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie (last edited Sep 25, 2012 12:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Use this thread to discuss Graffiti Heaven by Marita A. Hansen.

If you intend to read this book during October/November, please leave a message below.

Participating:
Angie
Kathleen
AngielovesYA
LaVerne

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1479 comments I'd like to read this, so please put my name down. But I've had to make a suggestion to the library to purchase it. Hopefully they will - they have Marita's other book.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've already read it, but put me down coz I still want to talk about it. I loved it.

LaVerne Clark (laverneclark) | 195 comments Yep - add me too please Angie :)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 42 comments I will have to pass this read - unable to obtain a copy at this stage.

message 6: by Marita (last edited Sep 24, 2012 05:47PM) (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Kathleen wrote: "I'd like to read this, so please put my name down. But I've had to make a suggestion to the library to purchase it. Hopefully they will - they have Marita's other book."

I saw your post so I've given permission for Graffiti Heaven to be made available to libraries, which also means bookstores can order it in now. Previously, it was only available through Amazon.

P.S. I'm looking forward to returning to New Zealand next year (for good this time:)

LaVerne Clark (laverneclark) | 195 comments Just bought my copy from Amazon. Looking forward to it! :) Yay to have you coming home Marita. There really is no place like home is there?

message 8: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments LaVerne wrote: "Just bought my copy from Amazon. Looking forward to it! :) Yay to have you coming home Marita. There really is no place like home is there?"

Thanks :) And, I agree, there's no place like home. I never wanted to move away, but unfortunately my husband was stationed in Singapore, so I didn't have much choice. His deployment ends in January, which is just over three years here. The heat drove me nuts! I like the cold.

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg Scowen (gregscowen) Hate to break the bad news, Marita... but flicking the library option on over at CreateSpace will not get your book in an NZ library (or only rarely).

For an NZ library to stock it, you will pretty much have to send them a free copy. They use a completely different distribution system to the US libraries.

message 10: by Marita (last edited Sep 24, 2012 11:13PM) (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Greg wrote: "Hate to break the bad news, Marita... but flicking the library option on over at CreateSpace will not get your book in an NZ library (or only rarely).

For an NZ library to stock it, you will prett..."

Behind the Hood is in six Auckland libraries. I didn't notify them, someone ordered them in. I only found out when someone else mentioned it to me. Here's the library link for Behind the Hood: http://search.aucklandlibraries.govt....

Anyone can request books and they will buy it in. I'm guessing the same thing will happen for Graffiti Heaven.

message 11: by Marita (last edited Sep 24, 2012 11:22PM) (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Forgot to say, I have a contract with Wheelers (they sell books to libraries in NZ and Australia, plus some select ones around the world.) They have the contract for Behind the Hood's ebook (non-exclusive), but they can also sell my paperback as well. However, I haven't given them permission to sell Graffiti Heaven yet as I want to do Kindle Select first.

Though, I don't think it was them who got those Behind the Hood paperbacks into those libraries in the link above. I think it was a librarian from Goodreads that ordered them in. She's the one who told Wheelers about Behind the Hood.

message 12: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1575 comments Difficult to read a book you can't get hold of unless you own a kindle. No libraries in NZ hold this title and if it is only available on kindle they won't be able to.
Most public libraries in NZ use Overdrive or Wheelers platforms for access to ebooks. Wheelers are not listing it either.

message 13: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "Difficult to read a book you can't get hold of unless you own a kindle. No libraries in NZ hold this title and if it is only available on kindle they won't be able to.
Most public libraries in NZ u..."

Wheelers should be listing the paperback soon, as it's been put on expanded distribution last night. It may take a few days before it shows up. Plus, any bookstore can order it in now because of this. You can also read Kindle books on computers, the Kindle application free to download. I read Kindle books off my computer.

message 14: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Amazon is also selling both the paperback and the ebook.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't have a Kindle either, so I downloaded the ebook to my computer. I saw your other book in a store once out South Auckland way, can't remember which shop it was though. I suppose the same will happen for Graffiti Heaven. By the way, loved it! And I'm excited to see Behind the Tears is due out in December. I'm really looking forward to it. I like how the two series are connected. AND I'm REALLY looking forward to reading more about Ash. He is definitely my favourite character out of both series.

message 16: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments AngielovesYA wrote: "I don't have a Kindle either, so I downloaded the ebook to my computer. I saw your other book in a store once out South Auckland way, can't remember which shop it was though. I suppose the same wil..."

Happy to hear that :) Thanks.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Will Ash and Tiana get back together in the Behind the Lives series? I was annoyed to see Beth with him. Ash should be with Tiana. I want to know why they split.

message 18: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments AngielovesYA wrote: "Will Ash and Tiana get back together in the Behind the Lives series? I was annoyed to see Beth with him. Ash should be with Tiana. I want to know why they split."

Lol, sorry, someone else said that too in a review. I didn't realise how much people would like Tiana. Plus, when I wrote Behind the Hood, Graffiti Heaven wasn't even in the horizon, it only started out as a prologue to Behind the Tears.

Anyway, I can't tell you what happens in Behind the Tears, but I can say you'll most likely be happy.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Marita wrote: "AngielovesYA wrote: "Will Ash and Tiana get back together in the Behind the Lives series? I was annoyed to see Beth with him. Ash should be with Tiana. I want to know why they split."

Lol, sorry, ..."

Woohoo! I take that as they're getting back together.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

What's Graffiti Heaven's sequel Crying Out Silent about? Does it still follow Ash?

message 21: by Marita (last edited Sep 25, 2012 02:14AM) (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments AngielovesYA wrote: "What's Graffiti Heaven's sequel Crying Out Silent about? Does it still follow Ash?"

I've only just started writing "Crying Out Silent", so I'm not totally sure, I just have vague ideas of where I want it to go and the topics it follows. It basically continues straight on from "Graffiti Heaven" and has the same topics as its predecessor, although attempted suicide and depression is more at the forefront, which is where the name "Crying Out Silent" comes from. I'm going to use a certain technique that relates directly to the title, but I'd rather not say right now. The other topics of bullying, homophobia, and prejudice play a major part too, but the book will also have some good topics as well, mainly relating to relationships and peer support as well as one very nice teacher that helps a particular student out in a major way. Plus, it also has humour as Jenna's in there, plus some clumsy situations will hopefully produce some laughs.

Yes, it still follows Ash as well as Tiana. Jenna, Levi, Ant, Joel, and Lavinia, etc. also play important roles. Plus, one particular person plays a major role, they're identity being hidden throughout a good part of the book. Well, that's the plan, I'll see if it works.

Most of my focus at the moment is going into Behind the Tears as I have to get it to my editor by November, which is going to be really hard work, but definitely doable.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry to be a pain and asking loads of questions, but I really want to know one thing. Why did you start chapter 1 like that? You know what I mean *blushing* I'm just wondering whether you've got any flack for it as I didn't think this would be acceptable for YA. I personally don't mind it, just was surprised. And the rest of the book wasn't as unexpected as this. Don't get me wrong, there were loads of unexpected parts and twists that I didn't see coming, but they were all kosher? (to a point!) You get what I mean? But I must say it was realistic coz I know of my friends who did this sort of thing in chapter one, taking off at lunch time to get-- lol

message 23: by Marita (last edited Sep 25, 2012 02:35AM) (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments No worries, I'm fine with answering questions.

Chapter 1 was based on someone's experience where he really did have to jump out the window (although he was a year younger than my character). And what the two main characters do in chapter 1 sets up the whole book, because the bullying as well as the parental trouble all escalate from this one act.

I state it's MA15+ so it shouldn't be a problem. But no doubt there will be some people having issues with me having chapter 1 like this. But then again, Melvin Burgess has a scene along these lines, and worse it's with a teacher, he's just smarter than me and put it further into the book :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. Has anyone likened it to Once Were Warriors. I've read that book too, although I couldn't finish it (the writing style was hard going), I liked the movie much better.

message 25: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments AngielovesYA wrote: "Thanks. Has anyone likened it to Once Were Warriors. I've read that book too, although I couldn't finish it (the writing style was hard going), I liked the movie much better."

You're welcome. No, you're the first to mention Once Were Warriors with Graffiti Heaven. My other book Behind the Hood has been likened to Once Were Warriors, but I think Graffiti Heaven is more multicultural (the Tongan storyline is a major part, as well as the inclusion of Croatian influences since Ash is half Croatian, not just Maori).

Chippy Marco | 10 comments Where is this book sold?

message 27: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Harlen wrote: "Where is this book sold?"

Amazon(ebook and paperback), Barnes & Noble (paperback), etc. You you can also ask at bookstores and libraries for it to be ordered in.

LaVerne Clark (laverneclark) | 195 comments I'm about 25% of the way through and am really enjoying it. It reminds me of: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton a book I adored as a teenager. Did it have any influence on you Marita? I love how Graffiti Heaven has the same flavour, but its written in a unique Kiwi voice. I used to live in South Auckland (Papatoetoe + Takanini) and am particularly enjoying reading about an area I know well :)

message 29: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments LaVerne wrote: "I'm about 25% of the way through and am really enjoying it. It reminds me of: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton a book I adored as a teenager. Did it have any influence on you Marita? I love how Gra..."

I'm glad to hear that :)

I read The Outsiders when I was ten (possibly twelve) and remember loving it. My mother had to hide the book because I refused to do my chores. Unfortunately all I did was look for the book instead of doing what she wanted :)

But apart from liking The Outsiders, it didn't have an influence on Graffiti Heaven. The book originally started out as the prologue to Behind the Tears (the soon to be released sequel for Behind the Hood). However, it took on a completely different tone when I based the beginning on someone's experience. From there it took on a life of its own (mixed in with touches of real life situations).

The setting is loosely based on Manurewa (Rewa) and Clendon Park (Claydon). I used to live in Clendon Park (a smaller part of Manurewa).

message 30: by Marita (last edited Oct 01, 2012 03:58AM) (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments I also used to live in Wattle Downs (another part of Manurewa), when I went to University. A LONG way to travel to uni from there. It was right behind a gulf course (those damn balls smashing into our windows). I used to shop at the Takanini Foodtown :) I mention Papatoetoe in my first book, but can't remember if I've mentioned it in Graffiti Heaven. My editor liked the name :)

LaVerne Clark (laverneclark) | 195 comments LOL - funny with the golf balls! My parents still live directly opposite the golf course in Papatoetoe. They own the motel there. Takanini has changed HEAPS now. You don't have to just shop at Foodtown now :)

message 32: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments LaVerne wrote: "LOL - funny with the golf balls! My parents still live directly opposite the golf course in Papatoetoe. They own the motel there. Takanini has changed HEAPS now. You don't have to just shop at Food..."

Even though the media portrays South Auckland as a bad place to live, I actually disliked living in Mt. Wellington and Grafton more than in Manurewa/Clendon Park. Over al, I didn't mind Clendon so much, and Wattle Downs was fine. Plus, in Mt. Welington, we got robbed (I didn't get robbed in Manurewa), there were helicopters regularly flying over head (only airplanes in Clendon because we lived close to the airport), etc. Across from the first place I lived in Mt. Wellington there was a dairy, of which the armed police were called out because an armed man was causing trouble. My husband and daughter on another occasion saw a man being chased by the police. BUT, even though there were loads more in your face things happening in Mt. Wellington, the police still said that Clendon Park was the worst neighbourhood in New Zealand, it just wasn't as in your face, more behind closed doors. Though, I was careful about my kids and bullying, because there were some nasty kids on our road. There were also some high profile cases about Clendon, one being the Kahui twins. They lived two roads away from us. That particular road is called Pleasant Parade in my books. It was known as a problem road.

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 01, 2012 08:36PM) (new)

Devonport is great description I never had a problem there. I like the North Shore.

message 34: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Howick is heaven for me :) description

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol, a competition to find the best suburb. But I suppose Howick is nice too. I'll give you that.

message 36: by Darkpool (new) - added it

Darkpool | 1020 comments Marita wrote: "Howick is heaven for me :) "
...Looking for the "Like" button ;-)

message 37: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Darkpool wrote: "Marita wrote: "Howick is heaven for me :) "
...Looking for the "Like" button ;-)"

One up for Howick :)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments I'm liking the pretty pictures!

message 39: by Marita (last edited Oct 01, 2012 09:13PM) (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Clendon

description

message 40: by Marita (last edited Oct 01, 2012 09:15PM) (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Oops, no, Clendon :)

description

message 41: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments Actually, that doesn't look good either, but Manukau Harbour looking out from Clendon was nice.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Marita wrote: "Clendon

"

Lol, that's naughty.

message 43: by Darkpool (new) - added it

Darkpool | 1020 comments Oooh, What Angieloves said. :-)

LaVerne Clark (laverneclark) | 195 comments Hahaha Marita! Love the Clendon shots.
Chalk up another for Howick. I lived there for fifteen years also! I thought you looked familiar. I wonder if I've actually seen you before. And have a girlfriend by the surname of Hansen from Howick. Weird!

message 45: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments LaVerne wrote: "Hahaha Marita! Love the Clendon shots.
Chalk up another for Howick. I lived there for fifteen years also! I thought you looked familiar. I wonder if I've actually seen you before. And have a girlf..."

Did you go to Pakuranga College?

LaVerne Clark (laverneclark) | 195 comments No - Howick College :) You're not related to Pamela and Nanette are you? Otherwise, just a freaky coincidence! :)

message 47: by Marita (last edited Oct 02, 2012 02:48AM) (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments LaVerne wrote: "No - Howick College :) You're not related to Pamela and Nanette are you? Otherwise, just a freaky coincidence! :)"

I used to know a Pamela and a Nanette, but they're probably different people. Pamela Rush (I don't know her married name) used to be one of my best friends at high school, and Nanette (I can't remember her last name, but it was Polynesian) was in my year and was also into art.

LaVerne Clark (laverneclark) | 195 comments Yeah - different people. Small world though, huh?

message 49: by Marita (new) - added it

Marita Hansen (maritaahansen) | 152 comments LaVerne wrote: "Yeah - different people. Small world though, huh?"

Yeah. Do you know any Matulovich's?

message 50: by Darkpool (new) - added it

Darkpool | 1020 comments (Is this the point where I admit I teach at Howick College?)

« previous 1 3