UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Political correctness gone mad

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Sep 24, 2012 12:58AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments So, Radio 4 fuelled by conference season fever is trying to get to the bottom of 'pleb'. In an attempt to discuss it without offending anyone they started calling it the 'P' word.

Are we destined to reduce all words that could offend to this?
Any way I am off to do the 'W' word.

message 2: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I'm not exactly sure how the word pleb is offensive. I generally use it as a loving mocking word when one of my friends/relatives do something idiotic!

message 3: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments I think it's more about the tone and the whole situation than just the one word. Any word can be offensive if used in the right context.

Honestly though... That man shouldn't be on his bike, or he should change the seat to a bigger one, because it sounds like this one went up his backside when he was riding it !

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9125 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "I think it's more about the tone and the whole situation than just the one word. Any word can be offensive if used in the right context.

Honestly though... That man shouldn't be on his bike, or he..."

Lol Lorraine!

message 5: by Weenie (new)

Weenie It's the media that's in a frenzy about the word 'pleb', which is sometimes used where I work, eg "Senior people at the top don't have a clue what they're doing while us plebs are doing all the work to keep the business going".

message 6: by Kath (last edited Sep 24, 2012 07:32AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments What did the Romans do for us?
I think the furore is because it indicates an attitude of superiority over the working (police)man/woman. No surprise from a government minister.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments The Beeb is getting more and more 'precious' by the day, there isn't one day goes past without me having to switch off. The interviewers on breakfast TV who have such a look of disdain to the point of rudeness for someone with another viewpoint to their own are noticeable. As to politicians calling people plebs I'm only amazed it was exposed only once. I'm sure thats how they think of us (if politicians thinking isn't an oxymoron.)

message 8: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Byrne | 26 comments Simon I hope you're working!!!!!

message 9: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Like most words, it's all in the intonation. The term daft wazzock can be used in fondness (I hope) whilst I can put a whole lot of hate into the word 'Cameron'. I doubt that this man was using the former.

message 10: by HJ (new)

HJ Here is an explanation of the word "pleb" by someone who knows - classicist Mary Beard:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_l...

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Darren wrote: "Like most words, it's all in the intonation. The term daft wazzock can be used in fondness (I hope) whilst I can put a whole lot of hate into the word 'Cameron'. I doubt that this man was using the..."

Fondness, perhaps.

Exasperation. Oh definitely. :)

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Darren wrote: "Like most words, it's all in the intonation. The term daft wazzock can be used in fondness (I hope) "

Oh, It SO can! ;)