Uglies (Uglies, #1) Uglies discussion

Do you recommend??

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Snigdha (new)

Snigdha Deva I've been wanting to read this book for veryy long. I decided to think about it after my exams were over. I have no idea why I'm telling you that. Point is, do you recommend it? I just want to confirm that the book isn't all that girly as it sounds. BTW, if you're wondering why I want to read it, it's because John Green recommended it. And John Green is John Green, right?

message 2: by Greta (last edited Sep 24, 2012 01:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greta Yes. It's good. The first book is definately the best in the series. I only read the first two books, and skimmed the third. For me that was enough. Have you read this author before? He's got a couple of other good series too. I really liked Peeps and Midnighters.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I would recommend it! I have read all four of the books and loved them all. Scott Westerfeld is a really good author. The book has a very The Giver or Hunger Games feel.

Vanessa Yess totally recommend. Its been one of the best books and it really has diversity and makes you imagine how it would feel to live like that.

BubblesTheMonkey It's not girly at all... well, not really.

Ji Mei This book is really good at making you not able to stop reading. It has action, a really interesting idea for a dystopia, and a likable main character.

message 7: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (last edited Sep 25, 2012 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ It's girly on the surface but it's to show the truth underneath! I liked it and I can't stand girliness.
READ IT!

Jules I absolutely loved the entire series and I think it's a must read. It's not that girly, at least I don't think it is. I mean it has it's moments but overall it's more of an adventure/science fiction thing. It's really good.

P.S I love John Green ;-;

Kelley Great series, I could not put it down. Highly recommended.

message 10: by Snigdha (new)

Snigdha Deva Julie wrote: "I absolutely loved the entire series and I think it's a must read. It's not that girly, at least I don't think it is. I mean it has it's moments but overall it's more of an adventure/science fictio..."

Well, it's hard not to...you know. Nerfighteria for the win!

Rachel YES! Read this! BUT do no go on to the 4th book. Stop where the actual trilogy ends. It is very young, youthful, but the books kind of grow more mature as they do and the actual base of the story is great, along with some amazing quotes in there!

message 12: by Nerdread (new)

Nerdread YOU SHOULD READ IT!!!!!!! I LOVED IT

Jules Gizzelle wrote: "Julie wrote: "I absolutely loved the entire series and I think it's a must read. It's not that girly, at least I don't think it is. I mean it has it's moments but overall it's more of an adventure/..."

Yes :3

message 14: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma B this book isnt one that will leave you agonising over the characters, gasping aloud at the plots, or just utterly in love with it. its okay, but nothing life changing haha

message 15: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah I would recommend it. I've only read the first so far, but it really makes the reader think about our society that glorifies beauty and where we may be going with that.

message 16: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth Eh, I mean this book was interesting but not the best YA book. Their are many other books that are better than this one, *cough cough*-Divergent :)

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Yeah, there are definitely better books out there, but still...

Maria I recently finished the whole series and I have to say, go for it!! They are YA books, but don't let that stop you, it's a page turner and it's a totally different concept to a dystopian society, that I could have ever come up with.

message 19: by Snigdha (new)

Snigdha Deva Beth wrote: "Eh, I mean this book was interesting but not the best YA book. Their are many other books that are better than this one, *cough cough*-Divergent :)"

I've read Divergent and it's awesome. Thanks for suggesting!

fabby i read the series and i did it while listening to the twilight second soundtrack and i loved the books now every time i hear the songs i remember parts of the books they are great confusing at first but one you have the names memorized they make u part of their world

message 21: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana This book is a really good read, But the thing is, If you read this one you JUST HAVE to read the next one!!

Abbigail Readit but soooooo do NOT read the last book, totally shouldve been a trilogy Scott.

message 23: by Ruby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ruby I did not give this book five stars; I gave it three. If you're looking for a book to kill time with that has enough interesting plot elements and romance to hold your interest for a few weeks, then this is a good book. If you are looking for great literature or the next great dystopian novel, I'd say no; the plot is too shallow and the characters are not that deep. Jasper Fforde has some good dystopia.

Jordan I just finished this series. I have to say it is pretty good but the last was my least favorite and the first was may absolute favorite!

Gizzard It was written when dystopian teen fiction wasn't quite so popular. Now, it is just kind of meh. I didn't find it all that engaging and had to force myself to finish. It is more of your standard escape story rather than the commentary on our obsession with looks (which it markets itself as.) There are (what seems like) millions of the same story done better.