Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Blogisaurus August 1/3

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1366 comments I read only 10 books this month and one unpublished manuscript to give feedback on it, but I can't post about that. I blogged a very high percentage of these reads. Some were long posts that required much research and took me days. That's why I decided to call this my blogsaurus month. I just finished blogging on August reads tonight!

1)Karmeby Richard Mitchell (historical magic realism novel)Source: The Bookplex Started: 7/31 Finished: 8/3

Why Read: It takes place in the Big Cypress Swamp in Florida. That sounded interesting. Karme believes that she isn't human which also sounds interesting. On the minus side it takes place in the fifties which is my most unfavorite decade even though I was born during it. I was hoping the author would transcend the era.

Comments: Karme is a genuine outsider with paranormal gifts. I was reminded of Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. I read the short story version. It also takes place in the swamps of Florida but I think Karme is more interesting. In addition to Karme, there are a collection of unconventional characters who rebel against social expectations during the fifties. I rated it B+ I blogged this in my August post "Socially Conscious Magic Realism" at http://www.maskedpersona.blogspot.com

2)The Messengerby Mayra Montero (historical fiction)218 pages. Source: Library Sale Cart Started: 8/3 Finished: 8/5

Why Read: The description sounds like a thriller. The great opera singer Enrico Caruso is being threatened by the Mafia while performing in Cuba. There's no evidence that the Mafia was after him, but it sounded like an entertaining read.

Comments: It wasn't a thriller, and honestly I don't really think it was about Caruso either. He does figure very prominently in the book, but it focuses on his fictional Chinese-Cuban mistress and Cuban culture. I learned a great deal about Cuba during the 1920's, but it certainly didn't meet my expectations. So I gave it an A-. I blogged this book in my September post "Cuba 1920 As A Confluence of Powers"

3)ROGUE OF ROUXVILLEby Adam Yamey (historical fiction) Source: free copy for review
Started: 7/20 Finished: 8/9

Why Read: This is the sequel to ALIWAL, a book about a Jewish immigrant to South Africa. A cousin of the protagonist of Aliwal also arrives in South Africa, but he's a different sort of character. It sounded interesting.

Comments: This was a much better book than Aliwal because the characterization was more complex, there were ethical dilemmas and I found the book more suspenseful. I rated it B+

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14289 comments Shomeret: It sounds like the research and blogging about the books added to your enjoyment; so ten good books in a month is still a lot considering the extra time sprend considering each one!
Shomeret wrote: "I read only 10 books this month .... I blogged a very high percentage of these reads. Some were long posts that required much research and took me days. That's why I decided to call this my blogsaurus month. I just finished blogging on August reads tonight! "