2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 > Alexandra's 20 Books for 2012

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (last edited Dec 29, 2012 12:41PM) (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments I'm starting a bit late on this one! So I'm keeping the list a bit smaller than I would have if it were the beginning of the year.

I'll add to the list as I come up with more books and I'll scratch out and date the ones I've finished. I am doing another challenge and I'll include those four in this challenge as well to keep things simple for me as these are the first two challenges I'm participating in ever!

Books I'm going to read:
1. All Seeing Eye - Rob Thurman 12/24/2012
2. The Firm - John Grisham 11/28/2012
3. Fade - Lisa McMann 12/16/2012
4. Trick of the Light - Rob Thurman
5. Blackout (Cal Leandros series #7) - Rob Thurman 10/1/2012
6. Doubletake (Cal Leandros series #8) - Rob Thurman 11/16/2012
7. The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To - D.C. Pierson 12/21/2012
8. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare 12/14/2012
9. UnWholly - Neal Shusterman 10/17/2012
10. Lover Eternal - J. R. Ward 12/9/2012
11. Dangerous Games - Keri Arthur 11/30/2012
12. wtf - Peter Lerangis 11/12/2012
13. Animal Farm - George Orwell 11/13/2012
14. Graceling - Kristin Cashore 12/3/2012
15. Gone - Lisa McMann
16. Lover Awakened - J.R. Ward 12/29/2012
17. Leviathan - Scott Westerfeld
18. Chimera - Rob Thurman
19. Stormbreaker - Anthony Horowitz 12/19/2012
20. Hangman's Curse - Frank Peretti12/26/2012
All Seeing Eye by Rob Thurman The Firm by John Grisham Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) by Lisa McMann Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1) by Rob Thurman Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6) by Rob Thurman Doubletake (Cal Leandros, #7) by Rob Thurman The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To by D.C. Pierson City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Dangerous Games (Riley Jenson Guardian, #4) by Keri Arthur wtf by Peter Lerangis Animal Farm by George Orwell Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) by Lisa McMann Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Chimera (The Korsak Brothers, #1) by Rob Thurman Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1) by Anthony Horowitz Hangman's Curse (Veritas Project, #1) by Frank Peretti

message 2: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Hi Alex! Just so you know, if you'd like to use books you've already read for the year, that's totally fine! If you join any year-long challenges, this applies there as well. :)

message 3: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Trevor wrote: "Hi Alex! Just so you know, if you'd like to use books you've already read for the year, that's totally fine! If you join any year-long challenges, this applies there as well. :)"

Sweet, thank you!

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Finished my first one! Blackout was great. I love Rob Thurman so much. I would read Doubletake next, but I just got UnWholly and my best friend is dying to read it too and I get to see her in two weeks, so I'm going to hurry up and read that one first so I can let her borrow it, and then I'm going to delve into the four for my birthday year challenge. ^.^

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Congrats Alexandra!

message 6: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Finished UnWholly a couple days ago. Slow start but I really love that series and the end was intense! Started Doubletake by Rob Thurman.

I haven't been able to find any of the books I need for my birth year challenge, so I don't think I'm going to make the cut for that one, unfortunately, though I still want to read them regardless of that challenge. =]

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Dated the books I finished, I have completely been forgetting to do that! Added on Lover Eternal, Dangerous Games, Animal Farm, and WTF. I've had these sitting on my bookshelf and I realized I had never gotten to them! I think that was right before I stopping reading for pleasure for a long time.

So now I'm bouncing between WTF and Doubletake ^.^

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) How did you like Animal Farm? I read it a long time ago and I HATED IT! haha - I think I was too young to appreciate the symbolism.

message 9: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and I wish I was reading it in high school with the teacher explaining it the whole way along. I know I'm not understanding it to it's full potential and it's frustrating.

message 10: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Alexandra wrote: "I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and I wish I was reading it in high school with the teacher explaining it the whole way along. I know I'm not understanding it to it's full potential and it's fr..."

Yes, I agree! I wish I had the opportunity to read it and 1984 with a teacher explaining. I read both books on my own and I'm sure missed most of them because I didn't understand it.

message 11: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments 1984 we read in senior year, so that one I actually really enjoyed, which is why I picked up Animal Farm, but there's just too much metaphor and I don't know enough about the time period for me to get it.

message 12: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Finished Doubletake and I don't know if I'll make it before Slashback comes out in March.

Also, finally got my library card today while I was registering for my college classes, and I picked up The Firm and found out where I can get my hands on Black Sun Rising and American Psycho at other locations.

And I just did a little more research and found out WHY I can't find From Hell anywhere. It's a comic series, not a novel. I should have done better research when I was looking at books. So I'm getting rid of that one. I realized I still have Rob Thurman's (again, I know. I'm catching up!) Trick of the Light to read so at least I have something to replace it with.

I was hoping to pick up City of Bones too, but it was checked out. I really want to buy it, but I refuse to unless I get it hardback so I figured I would just read it in the meantime before I find it online. Oh well.

message 13: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments 7/20!

Finished The Firm the other day and Dangerous Games two days later. I'm trying to play catch up big time!

The Firm was good, which was a surprise. I wasn't expecting to like it at all, and it did take me a while to finish it. The end was a little anticlimactic but it was definitely a lot better than I was expecting.

Really enjoyed Dangerous Games. I barely put it down. It isn't my favorite of the Riley Jenson Guardian novels but it was still intense and I can't wait to get my hands on the next one.

Jumping around a little bit since I was able to go book shopping yesterday. I'm starting Graceling now. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the library soon and get my hands on Black Sun Rising and American Psycho.

message 14: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments 9/20

Had to take Black Sun Rising and American Psycho off my list. None of the libraries that are close have either of them, and the libraries that do are just too far out of the way.

Started City of Bones by Cassandra Clare and All Seeing Eye by Rob Thurman. Hoping to finish both of them by the end of the week, as well as Fade and Gone by Lisa McMann. Figured if I read four books this week then I only have to worry about three each the next two weeks. ^.^

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Alexandra wrote: "9/20

Had to take Black Sun Rising and American Psycho off my list. None of the libraries that are close have either of them, and the libraries that do are just too far out of the way."

I hate when that happens!! :( My library does an Inter-Library Loan thing where you can special order books from other libraries like the University or even from other city libraries. You should see if your library does that!

message 16: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments I definitely will! I start college in January and we have a county library on campus. I'll be able to spend a lot more time there once I start school, but for now the library is just a little out of the way (and I'm honestly not sure where the closest ones are).

So for now anyway, they've been pushed to 2013. It gives me a chance to read a good chunk of the books I own and haven't read yet anyway. =]

message 17: by Alexandra (last edited Dec 14, 2012 07:19PM) (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Finished City of Bones! LOVED IT. Gahhh trying so hard to finish up before January!

Goal: 10/20

message 18: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) You can do it!

message 19: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments At least I finally picked out the rest of my 20! And I still have a handful of owned books that I haven't read yet. THE NEVER-ENDING STRUGGLE.

message 20: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Alexandra wrote: "At least I finally picked out the rest of my 20! And I still have a handful of owned books that I haven't read yet. THE NEVER-ENDING STRUGGLE."

Oh I totally know what you mean! God I own so many books... haha ;) I just recently went through and cataloged them in an app for my iPhone. So now at least I don't keep buying doubles!

message 21: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments LOL! That's what I'm using my Goodreads shelves for. When in doubt, I check my app. And I'm really going to have to start being on top of it once I have a massive collection of children's books

message 22: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Goal: 11/20

Finished Fade by Lisa McMann in record time. Couldn't have taken me more than three hours total.
I'm not sure why I enjoyed the first one back in high school. I don't like the choppy way it's written the characters felt kinda flat. I couldn't connect with their emotions at all. I still have to read Gone but I'm not totally looking forward to it.

Finishing up All Seeing Eye in the meantime and trying to decide what I want to read after that.

message 23: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Goal: 13/20

Finished Stormbreaker and The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To.

Enjoyed them both very much, especially The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep.

message 24: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Alexandra wrote: "... especially The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep."

oh! I've been wanting to read that one. Was it really good?

message 25: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments It was fabulous! I love the way Pierson writes and even though there's not a whole lot of action at first he gets you at the end. I'm still trying to sort through reasons why I liked it haha. I haven't even written a review yet because I don't know exactly what to say.

message 26: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Good to know! I've seen it before and it always looked interesting to me.

message 27: by Alexandra (last edited Dec 24, 2012 03:44PM) (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Goal:14/20

Finished All Seeing Eye. Took me a while to finish it. It didn't catch my interest as much as Thurman's other books but it was still good!

7 and a half days to read six more books!

message 28: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments Goal:16/20

I am definitely rushing to finish up the last four!
I'm shooting for one a day over the next three days (including today) except one day I have to read 2 but Gone is a short and easy read.

I finished Lover Awakened today. I meant to finish it yesterday but my husband got home earlier than I was expecting and we ended up finishing season 3 of Doctor Who and starting season 4.

Luckily, the two Rob Thurman books I have are like a hundred pages shorter than Lover Awakened and Leviathan. Leviathan is the only other longish book I have left hour-wise (it should take me about 8/9 hours to read based on how fast I read) and I'm trying to leave that one for last, since Lover Awakened had the same number of pages.

message 29: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) you can do it!