Completists' Club discussion

Louis Auchincloss
This topic is about Louis Auchincloss
Authors A-D > Louis Auchincloss

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacob (last edited Sep 23, 2012 08:53PM) (new)

Jacob (jjacobford) | 8 comments From Wikipedia:

"Louis Stanton Auchincloss (September 27, 1917 – January 26, 2010) was an American lawyer, novelist, historian, and essayist. He is best known as a prolific novelist who parlayed his firsthand knowledge into dozens of finely wrought books exploring the private lives of America's East Coast patrician class (especially the world of Wall Street bankers, lawyers and stockbrokers). His dry, ironic works of fiction continued the tradition of Henry James and Edith Wharton."

He has over sixty books, so I'm putting the lists under spoiler tags to save space.

Novels: (view spoiler)

Nonfiction: (view spoiler)

Short story collections: (view spoiler)

message 2: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jjacobford) | 8 comments I've only read his later short fiction and his memoirs so far, but I intend to get to his earlier work soon. If I can find it. Most of his older stuff is out of print and very hard to find...

message 3: by mark (new)

mark monday (happyendoftheworid) | 43 comments A Law for the Lion! i remember loving that one. but it has been a while.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian | 8 comments Jacob - is there a short fiction collection of his that you've read that stands out from the others?

message 5: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jjacobford) | 8 comments Brian wrote: "Jacob - is there a short fiction collection of his that you've read that stands out from the others?"

Hard to say, really. I read them over a broad period of time, only one or two collections per year, so it's really hard to say which is better. The Young Apollo stands out a bit, but that might just be because it was my first. The Atonement and The Friend of Women were also pretty strong contenders, but that's not to say that The Anniversary and Manhattan Monologues weren't as good. I think your best bet is to pick one at random and give it a try, see what you think.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian | 8 comments Nice - thanks Jacob.

message 7: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jjacobford) | 8 comments I'm going to read False Gods and the Collected Stories later this year/early next, but I think I might reread some of the others. That doesn't help you now, I know, but it means we can talk about the books later if you read them too.