Anne Frank Remembered: The Story of the Woman Who Helped to Hide the Frank Family Anne Frank Remembered discussion

Any Other Book Recommendations That Are Like This One?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Alright. I'll admit it. I'm a sucker for those novels that involve the Holocaust. Are there any book recommendations you would like to offer that is quite similar to this one? Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks! :D

Eric Andrews-Katz These are all NON-FICTION books (mostly autobiographies)

The Upstairs Room - can't remember the author

Playing For Time - Fania Fenelon

Night - Elie Wiesel

Schindler's List - Thomas Kinneley

I am a Man - Primo Levi

Araminta Sarah's Key

message 4: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Seligman Sarah's Key, The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult, Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum, My Enemy's Cradle (forget the author), The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy, The Devil's Arithmetic (forgot the author), The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, The Book Thief.....just for starters. Most of these are historical novels..if I think of any more, I will post on here....

Eric Andrews-Katz Sue wrote: "Sarah's Key, The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult, Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum, My Enemy's Cradle (forget the author), The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy, The Devil's Arithmetic (forgot the author)..."
"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is COMPLETE fiction, and written for no other reason except pure emotional rape. I HATED THIS BOOK and it has as much historical accuracy as the Easter Bunny dating Santa Claus.

There are many FACTUAL books that should be read in its place

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Seligman Wow...that's a strong opinion. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is an allegory, according to my friend who is an English teacher. I guess it's not for everyone, but most of the books I listed are historical novels. I know there are many factual books on this subject, and I have read some diaries and memoirs, including Anne Frank as well as listening to the experiences of my mother in law and her friends before she unfortunately passed away. Oh, Sophie's Choice is another novel which deals with the Holocaust, and Number the Stars is a children's book by Lois Lowry, I believe. There are many, many books available about this subject; it is up to the individual reader if they want to read fact, memoir, or fiction.

Eric Andrews-Katz Touché.
I agree. I just feel that since there are so many horrific factors about the subject matter, one shouldn't have to invent further stuff just for effect

Angie Dubberke Melting Point, The Secret Holocaust Diaries, The Bleeding Sky, I will not Weep in This Place, The StoryTeller are all excellent books!

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Seligman Oh yes....The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult...an excellent novel with the Holocaust theme, and in my opinion, it is her best. I saw her during a book signing and she discussed all of the research she did while writing this novel. It is amazing!

Annette Reynolds Try "The Lost: The Search For Six of Six Million" by Daniel Mendelsohn. One of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. I'm still reading it and find myself rereading sentences and paragraphs because the phrasing is so stunning. Really an amazing family memoir.

message 11: by B.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

B.D. Riehl Anne Frank Remembered: The Story of the Woman Who Helped to Hide the Frank Family by Miep Gies
This book is exceptional. The story from the perspective of the woman that risked her life every day for the families in the attic above her office is touching. Miep has a very different view of that time. She is the one that discovered and hid Anne's diary, although she herself did not read it until many, many years after it had been published. She offers insight into events Anne would have had no knowledge of. I highly recommend this one.

message 12: by B.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

B.D. Riehl Also good and highly awe-inspiring is "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom. My very favorite book.

Gayathri Eric wrote: "These are all NON-FICTION books (mostly autobiographies)

The Upstairs Room - can't remember the author

Playing For Time - Fania Fenelon

Night - Elie Wiesel

I read 2 of these books. I loved it!!!! Thanks for the recommendation.... :)

Schindler's List - Thomas Kinnel..."

Gayathri B.D. wrote: "Also good and highly awe-inspiring is "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom. My very favorite book."

Mine tooooo!

message 15: by Josie (new) - added it

Josie well everyone else above was reccomenting the books I'm thinking of but if you have an interest in anne then you should try reading books about her. anne frank remembered by meip gies, we all wore stars by theo coster (i think thats how you spell it) Her friends hanna goslar and jacqueline van maarsen wrote books about her. I apologize :)

message 16: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I recommend:

Elli by Livia Bitton-Jackson

Survivor by Sam Pivnik

A Lucky Child by Thomas Buergenthal

message 17: by ThisGirlLovesBooks (last edited Jan 24, 2015 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ThisGirlLovesBooks We All Wore Stars: Memories of Anne Frank from Her Classmates
We All Wore Stars, by Theo Coster. I loved this one I bet if you did too you would like We All Wore Stars. Or The Book Thief, I LOVED how Markus Zusak's expressed such a story!The Book Thief

Barbara I would recommend the following which is a copy of my review.
I read this book after seeing the excellent documentary "Blessed is the Match: The Life and Death of Hannah Senesh" which was very powerful and heartbreaking. This book is quite amazing telling the story of a young woman who was and is a true hero. She was safe during World War II but she volunteered for a mission to help rescue fellow Jews in her native Hungary. Her story is compelling and valuable. The book is a diary and this edition also includes some of Hannah's poems and letters, along with memoirs written by her mother and other's that she touched. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in history, WWII, the Holocaust, and Anne Frank. I also highly recommend the documentary "Blessed is the Match."Hannah Senesh, Her Life and Diary