Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion


189 views
Just had a thought, concerning imprinting...

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shawna If Jake was attracted to Bella the whole time because his soulmate was actually Renesmee...then shouldn't he have been attracted to Edward the whole time, too, since Renesmee is the product of both Bella AND Edward together?

Food for thought. Heh.


Kika96 That's a good point. But I feel like he was attracted to Bella because he actually loved her. And he still does, though the way he loves her now changed after he set her eyes on Renesmee.


message 4: by Avani (last edited Sep 23, 2012 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Avani Ha! Thanks for making me smile...maybe he had passion for both of them, but it was positive passion for Bella and negative passion towards Edward. Does that make sense?

Or, actually, maybe he wasn't attracted to Bella just because Renesmee was part of her...I think Kika's right in the fact that he actually did love Bella, but when Renesmee was born the love just shifted to her.


Joyce He had passions for both Bella and Edward. He loved Bella...and respected Edward. (Did not like)
So he had emotions for both of them.


Kika96 Wait...I'm not clear on what you're asking. Who do you mean when you say "the others?"


Samirah lol you have a point


Ingrid Jonach Ha! This made me laugh. Brilliant.


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Jake thought he was attracted to Bella (I think; it's a while since I read it) but actually he was attracted to Renesmee who was inside Bella; it wasn't Bella he was attracted to. If that makes sense.


message 10: by Jeni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeni My understanding of imprinting is a bit different. Jake is not attracted to Renesmee. He is like a brother or protector. That may or may not develop into love when she's grown. Regardless, she will be the one he lives and dies for.

Imprinting is not romantic love. It can evolve into that, but not always. An imprint is so time- and energy-consuming, it is impossible for someone to have an imprint and a girlfriend/boyfriend, so I imagine a lot of imprints do turn romantic out of necessity on the wolves' parts. Until now, wolves have imprinted with wolves or humans. Having Jake imprint on Renesmee is kind of perplexing for everyone, I think.

I'm interested to know what Jake would do if Renesmee falls in love with a cute vampire or human? He would be inexplicably bound to her with no chance for love because of his imprint. Sad, really.


Carly Huss I agree with Jeni :),
Though Renesmee wouldn't fall for anyone else. In New Moon Jacob says that an imprinter's love is so strong that the imprintee cannot resist. :)


message 12: by Gerd (last edited Sep 24, 2012 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Shapineapple wrote: "If Jake was attracted to Bella the whole time because his soulmate was actually Renesmee...then shouldn't he have been attracted to Edward the whole time, too, since Renesmee is the product of both..."


I don't think it works that way, it seems more plausible to assume that he felt attracted to her because she has, you know, girl parts. :D


Carly wrote: "In New Moon Jacob says that an imprinter's love is so strong that the imprintee cannot resist. :)"

Wow, that's a cheerful thought there. :/


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Shapineapple wrote: "If Jake was attracted to Bella the whole time because his soulmate was actually Renesmee...then shouldn't he have been attracted to Edward the whole time, too, since Renesmee is the product of both..."

Well they did stare at each other an awful lot.....hmmm


Isabella (All Da Ladies Luv Leo) Thomas Baylor wrote: "Shapineapple wrote: "If Jake was attracted to Bella the whole time because his soulmate was actually Renesmee...then shouldn't he have been attracted to Edward the whole time, too, since Renesmee i..."

yeah but not becouse of attraction more like a silent challenge. A staring contest.


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol I was totally kidding;p


lasharna he sorta was bcuz bella was w/ edward the majority of the time so i gess he was =D


message 17: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Shapineapple wrote: "If Jake was attracted to Bella the whole time because his soulmate was actually Renesmee...then shouldn't he have been attracted to Edward the whole time, too, since Renesmee is the product of both..."

Seriously, that just made my day.


message 18: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Isabella wrote: "Baylor wrote: "Shapineapple wrote: "If Jake was attracted to Bella the whole time because his soulmate was actually Renesmee...then shouldn't he have been attracted to Edward the whole time, too, s..."

Isabella, this is hilarious, I keep finding you everywhere. Remember me from the avatar ratings?


Isabella (All Da Ladies Luv Leo) Thomas Effy wrote: "Isabella wrote: "Baylor wrote: "Shapineapple wrote: "If Jake was attracted to Bella the whole time because his soulmate was actually Renesmee...then shouldn't he have been attracted to Edward the w..."

oh yea... youre the one with the creepy sam and wolf?no offence!


Mama X Good theory LoL but I don't think Jake was attracted to Bella because she of her relation to Renesemee. I don't think it was a blood bond. I think he just loved her, but that love was muted a bit when he first saw Renesemee. Kinda funny thought though.


message 21: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy None taken.


Nichola Shapineapple wrote: "If Jake was attracted to Bella the whole time because his soulmate was actually Renesmee...then shouldn't he have been attracted to Edward the whole time, too, since Renesmee is the product of both..."

Is this to suggest you are attracted to both of your partners parents? Towards the end, Jacobs attraction to 'Bella' was actually the pull of renesme and Meyer does try to explain thet there is a difference between attraction and imprinting. Attraction is about personal preference, the way anyone would find somebody attractive. Imprinting is not a conscious choice and is dictated by a more primal instinct otherwise Sam would not have chosen to imprint on his girlfriends cousin.

Jacobs imprinting on Renesme is not connected to his initial attraction to Bella.


Nichola Jeni wrote: "My understanding of imprinting is a bit different. Jake is not attracted to Renesmee. He is like a brother or protector. That may or may not develop into love when she's grown. Regardless, she ..."

wow, someone actually paid attention to what was written in the book regarding the difference between attraction and imprinting.


message 24: by Gerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Carrie wrote: "Good theory LoL but I don't think Jake was attracted to Bella because she of her relation to Renesemee..."

But wouldn't that throw up the question why then he wanted to mate with her instead of just wanting to protect her (in regard to the above explanation how imprinting works)?

Not to mention the idea that he would have fathered his own soulmate if Bella had let him? *shock*


Carly Huss The imprinting doesn't start until he looks at her. So Jacob wasn't attracted to Bella because of Reneseme.

Renesme has Bella and Edward in her. So if she were Jacob and Bella's baby she wouldn't have the same soul, there for Jake wouldn't have imprinted on her.


message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Gerd wrote: "Carrie wrote: "Good theory LoL but I don't think Jake was attracted to Bella because she of her relation to Renesemee..."

But wouldn't that throw up the question why then he wanted to mate with he..."

Ewww...


Luna Belle Pris Frankly I find it creepy enough when Edward calls him " My son"


Tamara Figueroa Imprinting would be okay if the werewolves don't imprint on children. But on people that is more their age.


message 29: by Angie Elle (last edited Oct 05, 2012 06:03PM) (new) - added it

Angie Elle Peace wrote: "i alwys wonder if the others had their imprints, then why did the others didn't have anyone 2 imprint on from before?"

I think they never imprinted because they had never shifted into wolf form before. Most of them imprinted pretty quickly.

By the time Jake shifted and found out Sam was a wolf, he (Sam) had already imprinted on Emily. And if I remember right (I might not...it's been a while since I've read the books) Quil imprinted not long after he shifted.


message 30: by Angie Elle (new) - added it

Angie Elle Peace wrote: "i think sam imprint on emily not leah. that why she was the only she wolf. cause sam like emily bit better then leah type of thing."

You are right! We must have realized my error at the same time, because I think I was fixing it as you were typing this post! LOL


Irene Hollimon I always did think Jake and Edward would make a better couple. The imprinting on babies thing creeped me out no matter how much Ms Meyer tried to soften it.
The whole catatonic over her boyfriend, thinking about suicide thing just made me want to strangle Bella.

I only saw one of the movies. I didn't like it. All that white make up and dark lips thing looked wierd and the actors were always staring like someone just let a bad fart and no one wants to breathe : )

The books I ended up liking even though I didn't want to.


back to top