Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments This movie came out in 1989. Ione Skye, John Cusak and his sister Joan star in this movie. It is the typical high school boy has a crush, acts on his crush, they get together but the surpirse is that they fall in love. It is a perfect movie for our theme month. It is on instant watch netflix if you are interested.

message 2: by Phillip (last edited Feb 08, 2009 01:11AM) (new)

Phillip | 9956 comments i never saw it. joan cusak can be so funny! i like her work, but she hasn't done a lot in the last decade. i wish i saw more of her.

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli I loved this movie Meg and I must have watched it a hundred times when i was younger. Great 80's movie!!

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments It is a great February movie!

message 5: by Holli (new)

Holli I just re-joined this group so what's going on with your movie of the month deal? Can you fill me in? Thanks Meg!

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments This month's theme is love. Any movie and/or discuss is around this theme. Please feel free to add any movie you want! I am glad that you are back.

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli Fun! :)

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9956 comments yeah, welcome back, holli!

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli Well thank you!

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments This was one of my all time faves. Right up there with Some Kind of Wonderful, Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club!

message 11: by Holli (new)

Holli The Breakfast Club is one of my all time faves.....

message 12: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 304 comments Say Anything is the first Cusack movie I ever saw, and now I'll see just about anything with him in it. I've heard bad things about the Contract, though, and I've seen Serendipity and America's Sweethearts, so I'll leave that 'pretty much' right where it is. Also Better Off Dead and High Fidelity are good romances he did. Another of my faves is Grosse Pointe Blank. I just checked his filmography on IMDB.com and it's amazing how many things he's done.

message 13: by Meg (last edited Feb 09, 2009 01:46PM) (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments I thought High Fidelity was pretty good. I agree, I will see pretty much anything that he is in.

I also loved Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club.

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9956 comments i liked high fidelity. i could relate to that movie. i seem to know a lot of guys like the cusak character. i don't think of myself as one of them. :)

message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments Phillip, the book was awesome

message 16: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9956 comments yeah, i heard it was a good book.

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) OMG! I love that movie... lol! My favorite part is when he has his boom-box and he has it blasted while she's in her room like asleep, lolz! Cute, funny movie!

message 18: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9956 comments are you talking about high fidelity? (that's the film we were discussing). i don't remember that scene.

you must be talking about say anything...i haven't seen it.

message 19: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 304 comments Phillip wrote: "are you talking about high fidelity? (that's the film we were discussing). i don't remember that scene.

you must be talking about say anything...i haven't seen it."

Maybe you were talking about High Fidelity, but the thread is about Say Anything, , where the boom-box moment occurs. Yes, it is the turning point of the movie, I think.

message 20: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9956 comments yes, of course - the thread is say anything. i got that. i couldn't remember a boom box scene from high fidelity....no worries, just wondering!

message 21: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments For anyone interested in seeing this movie. If you have netflix it is on instant watch now.

message 22: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 19 comments one of the best!

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) I was actually watching this movie yesterday on Encore! LOL!

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) THIS IS SO RANDOM...
but, there's something weird about John Cusack.. he has a big head kinda and like punny eyes, lips, nose and whatnot... it's just hard to look at him... lolz!

message 25: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments That is weird because I think he is sooooo cute.

message 26: by Holli (new)

Holli I think he's very cute....maybe you have to have grown up in the 80's to appreciate him? ;)

message 27: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments He also has very cute mannerisms which adds to the attraction. Uh oh, does that mean if you and I went for a drink we'd both like the same guy? lol

message 28: by Holli (new)

Holli LOL.....I don't know Meg! I also like Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Grant Show...... ;)

message 29: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9956 comments john cusak has universal appeal. i even have a crush on him.

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) lol, that's the thing, i think he is cute, but he's just different, in a good way though... do you know what i mean?

message 31: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 28 comments John Cusack's appeal to me is the combination of intelligence and sincerity that inform his looks. It's a throwback to a time where American male actors were chosen for a "unique" quality rather than polished good looks.
It helps that he has played so many characters that have a genuine love for women.

message 32: by Holli (new)

Holli He's adorable Leshawn, I couldn't agree more! The characters he has played are endearing and make you fall in love with him even more don't they?

message 33: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 28 comments A good test of John Cusack's appeal is to first read Nick Hornby's "High Fidelity" and then see the film. Rob Gordon is not nearly as sympathetic as when Cusack brings him to life.
I am always pleased with how well Cusack can elicit my sympathy.
Imagine if another actor were forced to bring Lloyd Dobler to life. Some of the character's indecision might not appeal so much.
And on the subject of Cusack, John's sister is very good at eliciting sympathy for quirky charcters as well! Constance Dobler could have come off simply as bitter and uptight but Joan prevents that from happening.

message 34: by Holli (new)

Holli Love his sister too!! They are great together.... :)

message 35: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9956 comments i think i mentioned this in my first post on this thread, but YES, joan cusak is a great comedic actress...i really enjoy her work and wish i saw her in more movies.

message 36: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 19 comments I also love them both. John has been so cute his whole career. I think I first saw him in a movie where a paperboy chases him down a ski hill or something. Can anyone remember what it was?

message 37: by oi ling (new)

oi ling | 23 comments Val wrote: "I also love them both. John has been so cute his whole career. I think I first saw him in a movie where a paperboy chases him down a ski hill or something. Can anyone remember what it was?"

The movie is Better Off Dead

message 38: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 19 comments thanks!

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Both John and Joan are great-- she's one of the most underrated character actress working (usually she's regulated to the Mom roles these days).

Having seen both Better off Dead and Say Anything in the theater as a teenager, I have fond feelings for both.... we routinely use quotes from both flix around the house.

And one of my ultimate 80s love songs is the Peter Gabriel song that will forever be entwined with the movie...

Thanks for the netflix tip... may have to check that out this week!