J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > Nora on CBS News Sunday Morning

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13068 comments Mod
There was a segment about Nora on the CBS News Sunday Morning show this morning. It was a pretty good interview. Oddly, though, they referred to this series as science fiction.

Here's the link to the video of the interview.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?i...

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidid73) | 25 comments I wouldn't term it "odd" as much as "incomplete." It's definitely sci-fi, as far as the technology they use. I mean, you have cars that can go into "vertical mode" to zip over the top of traffic jams. Holographic wrist units, police stunners instead of guns, etc. The science-fiction qualities of the series actually were a huge draw for me when I first started reading the books, because I love science fiction and it was great to find such an intriguing set of characters and great storylines in a futuristic setting.

Mystery? yes, obviously. Romance? Lots of that, including all the secondary characters' storyines. Science Fiction? yes, without question. Nora is a master at cross-genre writing, apparently.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

I guess that was my point. Whenever I've seen the series described, it's normally as a futuristic mystery/thriller. Even Nora referred to it this way in the segment. Many science fiction gurus tend to challenge this label being used for the series as the nature of the stories/plots have nothing to do with science fiction other than it takes place in the future.

This is what I found odd.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidid73) | 25 comments I see what you mean. Nora is so good at character development that for me, the story is almost secondary to what's going on between Eve the rest of the gang. I have read a few science fiction books that were similar - the setting was sci-fi, but the plot could have been almost anywhere - and the reason they worked so well was because the author was also very good at making the characters' lives front and center. Since that's my favorite type of sci-fi, I guess it didn't really register that Nora accomplished essentially the same thing.

After watching the clip, I have to agree, their choice of wording is not what I would have expected. :)

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

You hit the nail on the head about Nora being great at character development. It's the reason I've reread the series so many times...each time I discover something I didn't catch previously about the characters.

message 6: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments The series has a definite science-fiction twist, although not a hard-core one. Mostly I'd call it futuristic. It's very very grounded in reality (except I still can't figure out how an auto-chef would work...).

Did you see the Galahad pillow on the chair in the Eve/Roarke room? I squealed... ;)

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

I did!!! I wasn't sure but now that you saw it too....:)

message 8: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Well, it was probably just a generic cat pillow, but I'm sure it was supposed to be Galahad...

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

I agree!!

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments Yeah, I also agree that it was supposed to be Gallahad, I mean it had to...
I just saw the interview online and I'd really love to spend some days in that room, I know that it may sound a little odd as it's basically the name of it that connects it with the series, but still...

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

You're not alone, Mary!

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments Yeah, Jonetta, I figure most of us would like to do that, right?

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

I'm in line:)

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments :)