Q&A with Candace Knoebel discussion

Born in Flames (Born in Flames Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Born in Flames
Welcome

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candace (new)

Candace Knoebel (candaceknoebel) | 4 comments Mod
Welcome to the Q&A! Feel free to leave your questions here. I will be back tomorrow and throughout the week to answer them. Looking forward to it!

Cassandra Giovanni | 2 comments How did you choose the location of Hawaii? Have you lived there?

message 3: by Candace (new)

Cassandra wrote: "How did you choose the location of Hawaii? Have you lived there?"

Hey Cassandra :)

Actually no, I've never lived in Hawaii...just Florida. Florida has a fair amount of tropical weather so I can relate on some level, but most of what is in the book came from research on Google. I printed a lot of photo's to use for inspiration and read up on the different islands. Kapaa, Kauai was the smallest town I could find. I chose a small town because she needed to feel like an outcast in order to want to go through with learning about her past.

My reason for choosing Hawaii was because I wanted a volcano, or at least some volcanic activity, for the barrier between the realms. The Draconta (which you will learn all about in book two) live around a volcano, so it only seemed fitting to choose Hawaii.

More will be revealed as the trilogy continues and you will come to understand just exactly why...:)

Cassandra Giovanni | 2 comments That's really cool--did you have to do a lot of research to write the novel? Or did you just write it and then fill in the blanks?
PS super excited to learn and read more!

message 5: by Candace (new)

Cassandra wrote: "That's really cool--did you have to do a lot of research to write the novel? Or did you just write it and then fill in the blanks?
PS super excited to learn and read more!"

Yes and no. I guess it depends on what you consider a lot. I read as much as I could about the area where she lived so the descriptions would be more realistic, but that's about it.

The rest of the story was left to the imagination and I simply let the words flow. Actually, that's how I write for the most part. I try not to bog myself down with overthinking (something I do to myself quite often).

The magic, myths, places...they were all a figment of my imagination. And now I feel like Willy Wonka.

"There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be." ;)