2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
ARCHIVE 2012 > Group Buddy Read: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Buddy readers can discuss the book Outlander. Please remember to cover your spoilers. :)

Elizabeth | 11 comments well, I read it. Did anyone else?

message 3: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I'll be starting in the next week or so. What'd you think? Was it a quick read?

Elizabeth | 11 comments Kara wrote: "I'll be starting in the next week or so. What'd you think? Was it a quick read?"
It took me a week or so, but I wasn't reading it every day. The author is fond of sometimes unnecessary descriptive details, but I got used to it and it became entertaining, even with nothing happening. When I looked up the author I found out this was a book that she started writing "for practice, to see if I could do it", so I forgave some of the flaws. She sure loves superfluous historical tidbits. I learned some interesting things.

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments This book took me about four days. For its size, it is a very quick read. As a history major, this book is not only a guilty pleasure read, but also full of history that I love! Regarding description, there is one scene in particular that sticks out in my mind. Very hard to erase. It's that OMG moment in the book, and kind of threw me off a bit!

Elizabeth | 11 comments Is the OMG moment the scene where (view spoiler) That was the OMG moment for me, or rather, the WTF moment.

Lauren (estrangeira) I'm starting it this weekend.yay!

message 8: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Once I finish The Lies of Locke Lamora, I'm picking up this one too. Sooo excited!

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley As soon as I finish the books I am reading right now, which should be by the end of the week, I am going to start this! I was a history major too, Kelsi. So looking forward to this book! :)

message 10: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I'm almost halfway through this one, and I think I'm enjoying it, but I also get a little annoyed with Claire. I don't feel really connected with her, but maybe I'm just not in the right mood.

Elizabeth | 11 comments Kara wrote: "I'm almost halfway through this one, and I think I'm enjoying it, but I also get a little annoyed with Claire. I don't feel really connected with her, but maybe I'm just not in the right mood."

You're not the only one who doesn't like Claire sometimes. I liked her more in the first half. I liked her sense of humour and her practical way of dealing with her situation. But she's kind of perfect. It's unreal.

message 12: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Yes, that's exactly it! She's too perfect. She doesn't make bad decisions, no one sees through her deception (seriously, her speech should sound REALLY BIZARRE, but no one notices), and apparently everyone really likes and wants to protect her upon meeting her. But yeah, I'm still fairly early in the book, so I'm going to give Claire a chance.

message 13: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments This is good, but MAN, it's long. About 200 pages to go.

message 14: by Elizabeth (last edited Oct 23, 2012 11:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elizabeth | 11 comments Oh, I think Claire makes at least one bad decision (view spoiler). And later she does encounter some people who don't like her. She's not a Mary Sue, but she has some Mary Sue tendencies. But if you don't always identify with her, you get bored. I often found myself wishing there were more points of view, or more subplots with other characters that go somewhere, not just the Claire and Jaime show all the time. Geilie Duncan was very intriguing and I really wanted to know more about her, for instance. But then I had to admit to myself that I wasn't reading A Song of Ice and Fire or Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth. I was reading a romance novel. When I finally processed that it was actually just a romance novel, It all made sense. Not much is done with the time-travel, it's purely a device. Claire is a reader surrogate we're supposed to identify with, a modern-ish woman thrust into a historical setting. I'm sure it gets a very specific type of female reader right in her happy place. There's historical stuff to class it up. There's adultery with a younger man, but technically it's okay because your husband hasn't been born yet! And (view spoiler) but nothing hardcore. ( but seriously the author is obsessed with (view spoiler), I've read the second book now and there are more unnecessary(view spoiler) I really can't explain why I read the second book, I think it was just so I could understand wtf happened in the climax of the first book, and I also was hoping Geilie Duncan would show up again) I don't know. It can be fun if you're in the right state of mind, but it's hard to sustain that state of mind for a book of this length. What do you think about Jaime?

message 15: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Oct 26, 2012 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Okay, finished. I got less and less interested as the book went on and ended at a solid 3.5 stars.

All the most interesting characters (Geilis, Anselm) didn't have very large parts, unfortunately.

And, honestly, I thought the sex was kind of weird. There was a LOT of it (which I totally don't mind), but I thought it was too tame for people who liked those kinds of romance novels and too S&M-y for those who don't really like much sex in their books.

Elizabeth, totally agree on that WTF moment.

message 16: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I can TOTALLY SEE why people just love this book, but it wasn't up my alley. I don't think I'll be continuing the series unless someone tells me that we learn more about Geilis and Anselm.

Elizabeth | 11 comments I don't recommend reading Dragonfly in Amber, then. There's a hint of Geilis information, but not much. Eventually, I just decided to spoil myself and find out whether or not she shows up in the other books, and (view spoiler) So I didn't think it would be worth it to read the other books for that.

message 18: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Hmm...okay then. I think I might be done with the series, at least for now. They're so long, and I have SO MANY books on my TBR.

Lauren, Ashley: What did you guys think?

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments I decided to read this book since it was on my TBR list and it fit one of my challenges. I don't like time travel books ... but it was ok. I give it 3 stars. Don't think I'll plan on continuing the series either.

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I never even got this book started. :/ I will get to it eventually I hope. From what people are saying, I think it can go down my list a bit. Maybe a book for me to read in 2013?? Haha.