2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Frankenstein
This topic is about Frankenstein
ARCHIVE 2012 > Oct 2012 - Frankenstein: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (last edited Sep 24, 2012 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Our monster book for October will be Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Who's going to be joining in?

Kelsi will be our discussion leader for this book.

Ashley Me me me! lol :) Can't wait. It is a classic I have wanted to read for a while. I heard it is one you either love or hate. I'm hoping I love it.

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Ashley wrote: "Me me me! lol :) Can't wait. It is a classic I have wanted to read for a while. I heard it is one you either love or hate. I'm hoping I love it."

I've heard that too. I'm really trying to read and appreciate classics and I really want to like this one!

Kattibrie | 96 comments Oooo, Frankenstein... I was excited to participate in this, but I've already read it a few months back. Plus, I didn't like it very much (like Ashley said - you "either love or hate" it), so I don't think I'll join in the discussion. Sorry. :( Maybe next month... ;)

Carrie (carrie_s) | 130 comments This is one of my favorite novels! I won't be rereading it, because I've read it several times already, but look forward to hearing others' thoughts on it. Enjoy!

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments Oh, Frankenstein is one of my favourite stories, too. I will probably join in. :)

message 7: by Nathan (last edited Sep 24, 2012 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nathan (nthnlwly) Sweet, a group read I already own! Nice!!

By the way, eReaders out there, it's a free ebook. :)

For Kobo
For Kindle
Here it is on Project Gutenberg

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Good thinking, Trevor!

For Nook

message 9: by Nathan (last edited Sep 24, 2012 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nathan (nthnlwly) I was trying to find the nook one! I couldn't seem to find the right edition!

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Thanks for the links Trevor! I always forget to look for the freebies.

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Hi all--I'll be leading the discussion for this book. I'm really excited about it, because I've been studying Shelley's mother, Mary Wollstonecraft. Wollstonecraft married William Godwin not because she felt she should be married as society forced her to, but because she wanted to give her unborn child a good life not being labeled as an illegitimate child. I'm currently reading A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, written by Shelley's mother. Shelley grew up among intellectuals including Thomas Payne thanks to her father, William Godwin. She lived a life similar to her mothers and lived life a little more untraditional than most.

Our previous group read was A Discovery of Witches, and in the sequel, we are introduced to these men because they know Matthew, one of the main characters. Fun context (although fictional!) for everyone!

I'll be starting this Monday. Interested in hearing what everyone thinks.

Nathan (nthnlwly) I'll be starting soon as well. I've got a few other books I want to knock off my October list first. ;) Y'all know how it is.

message 13: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 58 comments Just discovered this book of the month topic. I've always wanted to read this classic and now I have an excuse to! Only have 9 days to do it...challenge accepted!

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 851 comments Hmm, I might not read this book after all. I think I will if I get bored or something but it doesn't sound too great and I've now got a load of books to read that I really want to read.

message 15: by Kara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments I think I'll still give it a shot (I need an F for the mini spell challenge). I'll probably start tonight.

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments It was a relatively quick read for me and for it being a classic and all. I believe it took me 3 days.

Nathan (nthnlwly) Lilac wrote: "Hmm, I might not read this book after all. I think I will if I get bored or something but it doesn't sound too great and I've now got a load of books to read that I really want to read."

Definitely read what you want to first! haha, I liked the book, but it wasn't fantastic. It was worth a read though, so if I were you I'd keep it on my tbr list. :)

message 18: by Kara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments I'm 100 pages in and totally enamored! If you're on the fence, my vote would be to give it a shot.