Read by Theme discussion

Off Topic > Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara | 35 comments Read by Theme has so many active members that I would love to know what books would you recommend to readers and why.

message 2: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Sep 23, 2012 05:08PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Nice idea for a thread! :D

Note that when I say "children" below, I mean "children or children's literature enthusiasts".

I would recommend The Absent Author, its series, and its spinoff series to children who enjoy mysteries, because they're one of my fondest childhood memories.

I would recommend Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and its series to children (and some adults) who enjoy urban fantasy; though I suppose the later books wouldn't be considered (young) child-appropriate by all parents.

I would recommend London, 1850 and its first two sequels to any children who enjoy vampires, mythology, or Aztecs. I haven't read the second trilogy, but from what I know of it, I doubt I'd recommend it. I could be wrong, of course.

I'd recommend The Forests of Silence and its series, as well as its two sequel series, to any children who enjoy high fantasy.

I would recommend How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Classic Mistakes and How to Avoid Them--A Misstep-by-Misstep Guide to anyone who wants to be a novelist. It's both hysterical and informative.

I would recommend I Want My Hat Back to any adults who might enjoy a picture book with a wicked sense of humor.

I would recommend Alanna: The First Adventure and its series to any children or adults looking for a strong female protagonist in a high fantasy world. I also enjoyed its first two sequel series; it's third sequel series I didn't much care for but intend on rereading soon (so my opinion may change--I last read the two books almost ten years ago); and I haven't yet read its fourth sequel series, though I intend to do so soon.

I would recommend Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit primarily to anarcho-primitivists, those who entertain anarcho-primitivist ideas, and environmentalists who don't mind reading some rather oddly presented philosophy.

I would recommend The Witch of Blackbird Pond to any children or adults who enjoy books about the Salem Witch trials and similar events.

I would recommend The Bad Beginning and its series to any children or adults with an appreciation of clever humor but neither depress easily nor demand a nice, concise ending with all plot strings neatly tied up.

I would recommend Black Beauty to anyone who can stomach a horse's "account" of animal abuse. I wouldn't particularly recommend it to children--the message might be a bit over their heads depending on their ages, or else particularly empathic children might find the experience traumatic--but I read it as a child and wasn't scarred. Take that as you will.

I would recommend The Little Prince to... everyone? It came very close to making me cry, and that's nearly impossible for a book to manage.

I could go on, but I think my post is long enough for the moment. ;)

message 3: by Lamilla (last edited Oct 01, 2012 02:21PM) (new)

Lamilla Tara wrote: "Read by Theme has so many active members that I would love to know what books would you recommend to readers and why."

I'd recommend all the books from my shelves that got 5 stars, because they are excellent in their respective niche.

To name a few:
Сказочные повести скандинавских писателей by Tove Jansson - great collection of children's stories

Omon Ra by Victor Pelevin and The Helmet of Horror The Myth of Theseus and the Minotaur by Victor Pelevin - mind-blowing contemporary Russian literature

Похороните меня за плинтусом by Павел Санаев - same thing

Mind Fuck (The Administration, #1) by Manna Francis - a thrilling mystery&sci-fi with m/m romance

Making History by Stephen Fry - same thing (alternative WWII)

The Dialects of England by Peter Trudgill - precise and coherent introduction into peculiarity of English language

On Writing by Stephen King - a manual from the very best

Doctor Who The Writer's Tale The Final Chapter by Russell T Davies - great behing-the-scenes feature and insight into production of the series

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara | 35 comments Thanks for the recommendations.
I recommend Wild Seed by Octavia Butler Wild Seed (Patternmaster, #1) by Octavia E. Butler is a great speculative fiction book that takes during the 1700'S-1800's in Africa and the U.S. It is one of Butler's best novels and the strongest in the series.

The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop The Black Jewels Trilogy Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #1-3) by Anne Bishop is a fantasy series that has it all: interesting characters, intricate plots,colorful villians etc.

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones is a story that grabs you with the opening line and doesn't let go. Jones' writing style is smooth in a way that can lead you in one direction but suddenly move the reader in another.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 28 comments I just read One Day and I loved it an d I really recommend it. I know there has been both good and bad critique about this book and the intreresting thing is that everyone seems to see different things in this book. Personaly, I think the character portraits in the book are fantastic, I feel like I have known the two protagonsits Emma and Dexter all my life, like I'm the third friend.