Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Reading Recommendations > Need book suggestions plz.

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Snarktastic Sonja (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:56PM) (new)

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments I am recovering from surgery that didn't go exactly as planned. I am desperate for reading material to get me through. :) I am not currently able to absorb anything deep - so I need light and fluffy. I have examined the top 100 link. I have gone through amazon recs and recs here. I am a pain in the tush to find books for. If anyone can think of anything that meets my precious guidelines, I would really appreciate it.

1. Light and fluffy
2. Prefer non urban fantasy
3. I dislike vampires and werewolves.
4. I prefer finished series (or books that are complete within themselves.)
5. Happy endings only. (life sucks - don't need my imagination to take me there. :))
6. Grabs you by the throat (or heart) from very close to the first page.
7. Must be in digital format. (nowhere near a book store.)
8. I especially enjoy sword and sorcery or magic type of fantasies.

The closest series I can think of that represents the type of book for which I am looking is Lisa Shearin's Raines Benares series. Unfortunately, although I do not see UF in her series at all, that is where all the recommendations take me.

I read Magic Bites due to the very high recommendations it carried here. (I'm looking at you MrsJoseph. ;)) I liked it . . . but it seemed to be lacking something. Might simply be too urban fantasy for me.

I would really appreciate any suggestions. Even if they do not quite meet my high guidelines, they always take me somewhere else which might.

Thanks so much . . .

message 2: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Westlake | 1 comments Sonja wrote: "1. Light and fluffy
2. Prefer non urban fantasy
3. I dislike vampires and werewolves.
4. I prefer finished series (or books that are complete within themselves.)
5. Happy endings only. (life sucks - don't need my imagination to take me there. :))
6. Grabs you by the throat (or heart) from very close to the first page.
7. Must be in digital format. (nowhere near a book store.)
8. I especially enjoy sword and sorcery or magic type of fantasies. "

I feel for you. I've been laid up post-surgically before, so I understand completely where you're coming from. Pure feel-good escapism is in order!

I think you might like Dragon Fate. It's not fast-paced during the first part of the book, but it is engaging, and it doesn't have an overly-complicated plot or a huge cast of characters to keep track of. It's a light, fun read. I think it meets all of your criteria.

Feel better soon!

message 3: by Traci (new)

Traci I'm going to recommend Howl's Moving Castle. One of my favorites. There's also Stardust. Or The Princess Bride if you haven't read it.

message 4: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (last edited Sep 23, 2012 05:18PM) (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Edited post. I see you already read that series.

What about Mercedes Lackey books? She has some sword and sorcery books that I enjoyed, specifically, the Oathsworn series, followed by the By the Sword, and the Winds of Fate trilogy.

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments Carol wrote: "Edited post. I see you already read that series.

What about Mercedes Lackey books? She has some sword and sorcery books that I enjoyed, specifically, the Oathsworn series, followed by the By the S..."

Carol, can't seem to find an oathsworn series. Can you recommend starting book in that series?

Thanks

message 6: by Stephen (last edited Sep 24, 2012 02:00PM) (new)

Stephen | 3 comments May I suggest Dragonlance's Dragons of Autumn Twilight?
It meets all your guidelines in my opinion (which isn't much). I love the series. May your recuperation be hasty.

message 7: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (last edited Sep 24, 2012 07:56AM) (new)

carol. | 2616 comments The Oathbound and Oathbreakers. I see GR shelves it in a slightly different way. Those two are more of duology focused on the traditional sword-and-sorceress duo, except they are both female. I enjoyed them and thought they were fun, fast reads. The book listed as third is a collection of short stories. By the Sword centers around the grandchild (at least, I think I remember it that way) of one of the characters and is more a coming-of-age story. The Winds Triology follows that. I thought they were all enjoyable because they manage to avoid female stereotypes fairly well, and once Lackey moves on to By the Sword, the writing becomes more sophisticated with great world-building. And yes, always happy endings.

Sorry to hear about your prolonged recuperation. I encountered something myself a couple of years ago.... which was directly responsible for me finding GR and more suggestions than I can ever read :)

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol already got one of my recs!

I would also suggest the Belgariad series by David Eddings. It starts with The Belgariad: Volume One Pawn of Prophecy.

The Drenai Saga (Sword & Sorcery) starting with Legend but you can start somewhere else.

I would love to turn you on to some Andre Norton...but her Witch World series was started in the early 1960s. The first ones feels a little dated. She has different cycles so you can check it if you want: This is the newest cycle http://www.goodreads.com/series/53901...

the oldest: http://www.goodreads.com/series/53845...

message 9: by Pauline (last edited Sep 25, 2012 03:21AM) (new)

Pauline Ross (paulinemross) Traditional fantasy without the trendy gritty stuff and lots of humour: Theft of Swords by Michael J Sullivan (first of a trilogy).

Steampunk with humour and a feisty female protagonist: The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker (first in an ongoing series, each one stand-alone - and this one is free!).

A lovely retelling of the Goose Girl story: Thorn by Intisar Khanani (a stand-alone).

If you don't mind an incomplete series, try Ravenmarked by Amy Rose Davies (a traditional fantasy with a romantic twist) or The Duchess of the Shallows by Neil McGarry and Daniel Ravipinto (traditional, non-gritty).

Hope you get well soon.

message 10: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Bunn | 15 comments I highly recommend Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy. Wonderful story. I'll enthuse about those three books until the end of the world. If you do try 'em and don't like 'em, let me know and I will eat my hat.

Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy

Off to investigate that Witchworld cycle Mrs. Joseph suggested. Who can resist the power of Andre Norton??

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Christopher wrote: "I highly recommend Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy. Wonderful story. I'll enthuse about those three books until the end of the world. If you do try 'em and don't like 'em, let me know and ..."

I LOVE the riddlemaster series!

Another great series I like that isn't discussed often is The Darkangel Trilogy. Very good but different.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 1409 comments The Riddlemaster Trilogy
is one of my feel good reads.

No pun intended.
:)

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments Some awfully good suggestions. I really do appreciate them all.

MrsJ - I have seen you recommend the Witch World series so many times. I have looked for it in digital format, and can seem to find them.

I looked up Oathbound - was very disappointed that it only had a 2 page sample . . . (I mean really - is that even enough to qualify as a sample?)

Have looked recently at the Riddlemaster Trilogy - as far as I can tell, also not available in digital format.

I am quite willing to be proven wrong. It won't be the first time - and likely not the last.

Heading to look up more suggestions.
Thanks so very much.

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments Oh - and Pauline - absolutely loved the Ryria Chronicles - or whatever the official name is :D

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Have you tried MZB's Sword & Sorceress series?

http://www.mzbworks.com/

I know they are slowly getting them all digital. I would check it out! It is an anthology of short stories but you will find some new great authors!

message 16: by Evy (new)

Evy (evee1012) | 2 comments How about Terry Brooks, Shannara series or word and void.

message 17: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Hallowell | 84 comments Sonja wrote: "Oh - and Pauline - absolutely loved the Ryria Chronicles - or whatever the official name is :D"

"The Riyria Revelations" is the first series, and "The Riyria Chronicles" is the new series that starts with The Crown Tower, if I'm not mistaken.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 1409 comments Saw online....a free ebook download..for The Riddle-Master of Hed.
It is a pdf file.
Then #2 Heir of Sea and Fire,
and #3 Harpist In the Wind.

message 19: by Brenda ╰☆╮ (last edited Sep 28, 2012 12:24AM) (new)

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 1409 comments Maybe not...sorry I tried the pdf file it works...but a pain to read unless you have a computer.

message 20: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "Maybe not...sorry I tried the pdf file it works...but a pain to read unless you have a computer."

If you have the file it can be converted via Calibre to any other format you want.

message 21: by Traci (new)

Traci These are mostly free classics, and don't fit what you're looking for but
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
is a site to download free public domain books. I've used them and they're okay. Do you have a kindle? Nook? Or other?

message 22: by Traci (new)

Traci Here's another free ebook place, and you might actually find something you want to read at this one,
http://www.baen.com/library/authors.asp
it's mostly science fiction but there's also some fantasy. I should have thought of this one first.
Just thought you might want to check these out because you you're bed bound. I got The Lark And The Wren here. And it sort of fits some of your list. Romance-y with a good ending, a sort of Cinderella story though so the beginning isn't too happy.
Hope you feel better!

message 23: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Traci wrote: "Here's another free ebook place, and you might actually find something you want to read at this one,
http://www.baen.com/library/authors.asp
it's mostly science fiction but there's also some fantas..."

Loved the Lark and the Wren!

message 24: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) | 338 comments The Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. It starts with the Outstretched Shadow. It has a little grossness and a little evilness, but nothing more than the protags can handle. Overall cuddly and enjoyable.

message 25: by Fred (new)

Fred (fredex) I agree with Chelsea, The Obsidian Trilogy was a great series. One I plan to re-read one of these days.
-The Outstretched Shadow
-When Darkness Falls
-To Light A Candle

message 26: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Fred wrote: "I agree with Chelsea, The Obsidian Trilogy was a great series. One I plan to re-read one of these days.
-The Outstretched Shadow
-When Darkness Falls
-To Light A Candle"

I did enjoy that series quite a bit.

message 27: by Jea0126 (new)

Jea0126 | 203 comments I'd suggest Sword-Dancerby Jennifer Roberson and then the rest of her Tiger and Del series. Easy reads with lots of humor and action.

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) I would recommend Foundation and the rest of the Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles series by Mercedes Lackey. I adore the series, and I would consider it a must-read for everyone. It can get a little dark, but there is an overall feeling of hope in the end. The fourth book was just recently published.

If you are looking for something very light and fluffy, the Five Hundred Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey is really good. They are also very quick reads.

And, of course, there is the Obsidian Trilogy that the others have mentioned, which is a very good series.

I was also going to suggest The Accidental Sorcerer by K.E. Mills, but I see you have already read them...

message 29: by Tony (new)

Tony | 32 comments naomi novak....dosnt really meet your guildlines but I cant see how anyone who likes reading wouldnt enjoy those books

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments Jeo126 - I've read those. :) Just not on my bookshelf.

Thanks Amanda. Will look into those.

Tony - Naomi Novak is one at whom I keep looking. Can you tell me how she does not meet my guidelines? (I might be willing to stray a little bit . . . I typically dislike alternative histories but I LOVE dragons. So, I keep just going . . . hmmm.)

I love Janny Wurts, so I am trying to read this month's author led selection. It does not meet my easy, breezy guideline and I am really struggling with it. But, haven't given up yet!

I really do appreciate all the help.

message 31: by L.Y. (new)

L.Y. Levand (lylevand) | 131 comments The Naming is very good, and is also the first of a quartet (that is complete). I'm not sure if it's available in digital, though. The same goes for The Alchemyst. It's book one of...six, I believe. I do know that all of them are out, and I loved them. But, again, I'm not sure about digital, and it does take place in "modern" times. It's fascinating, and has lots of mythology references.

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I would love to turn you on to some Andre Norton...but her Witch World series was started in the early 1960s. The first ones feels a little dated. She has different cycles so you can check it if you want: This is the newest cycle http://www.goodreads.com/series/53901..."

MrsJ - is there an entry point into this series besides the first book? I absolutely hate to jump into the middle of a series - but sometimes sacrifices must be made.

Thanks!

message 33: by Practical Mike (new)

Practical Mike | 8 comments The Iron Druid Series by Kevin Hearne meets every criteria item you mentioned, except it would be considered UF... that and the series isn't complete yet (and that's a good thing in my opinion). Light hearted, funny, swords, sorcery, and a hilarious Irish Wolf Hound. I'm with you on the vamps and werewolves, but I found that I don't mind how they are used in this series.

I love the John Moore takes on classic fairy tales... funny funny stuff.

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments Mike wrote: "The Iron Druid Series by Kevin Hearne meets every criteria item you mentioned, except it would be considered UF... that and the series isn't complete yet (and that's a good thing in my opinion). L..."

Mike, Kevin Hearne's series is definitely on my radar. I read the digital sample and this book actually triggered something in my head and I am not sure that I *can* read it. It sounds really good and like it would fit all my criteria and being UF doesn't rule it out, just makes me look a little more closely. I think it is the "gods" thing. Bucks up against my Christianity in a way I simply cannot explain. I think it is the current time frame . . . set it in the past or the future, and I have no problem . . . But, somehow Urban Fantasy . . . I cannot explain it. Just know it *is*. Not sure though. I will look again.

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Sonja wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "I would love to turn you on to some Andre Norton...but her Witch World series was started in the early 1960s. The first ones feels a little dated. She has different cycles so you ..."

Not sure how I missed this!

I think this might be a good place to start: The Key of the Keplian The Key of the Keplian (Witch World Series 4 Secrets of the Witch World, #1) by Andre Norton

This book is very close to the end of the series. This book does have some spoilers for some of the "mysteries" in the series - the biggest of which is the story of the keplian. But it's a great place to start in the series. The main character in the book is a new person to the world and has to be taught everything.

None of the spoilers are very important to the enjoyment of any part of the series at any point...you'll just have more knowledge.

message 36: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 21 comments How about Terry Pratchett, Christopher Moore, some of Neil Gaiman's books? Steven Brust - The Phoenix Guards or any Vlad Taltos series.
Do try Naomi Novik- it is mostly light hearted, but there is one heartbreaking scene in the first book that I can't forget.
Once you feel up to something less fluffy, Amanda Downum's The Drowning City was great, and Liz Williams writes police mysteries in a future Singapore where the walls between Heaven, Earth and Hell are quite porous.

message 37: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (imhrien) | 433 comments It took me a few days to think of something that would fit your list. I like light and fluffy, but I tend to hate HEA's. There are two series I think might be worth giving a try and both are available as ebooks.

The first series is Moira Moore's "Hero" series, which finished at 7 volumes. The last is available on the author's website (she was dropped by her publisher before it could be published). I myself have only read the first book, but I enjoyed it a lot. Much more on the light and fluffy side with a lot of snarky wit.
Resenting the Hero

The second is actually the previous months Group Read Geist , by Phillipa Ballantine. This one is a bit more of a genre mash up, but it did straight fantasy and magic pretty well, I thought. The only catch is that the final book will only be released sometime this year.

There is the silver lining of being laid up: having all the excuse you need to stay home and read! Hope your recovery goes well and quickly =]

message 38: by Snarktastic Sonja (last edited Feb 05, 2013 06:29AM) (new)

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments Tasula wrote: "How about Terry Pratchett, Christopher Moore, some of Neil Gaiman's books? Steven Brust - The Phoenix Guards or any Vlad Taltos series. Do try Naomi Novik- it is mostly light hearted, but there i..."

Tasula - I need to look at the discworld books again. I read the first a long, LONG time ago and remember not being able to comprehend the "world" ness of it. I may not have started at the beginning - and I may need to go back and do that. I have typically found that people either like Piers Anthony or Terry Pratchett. Their humor differs.

The early books in Brust's Taltos series are not available in digital format. I will, however, look again. I have tried his Phoenix Guard series - Dumas' is one of my all time favorites (I even have a copy of The Three Musketeers in French - and I cannot even begin to read French!) - but I don't know if it is an age thing or what - but I can't get into that series.

Really good to know about Naomi Novik - her books have been sitting on my tbr list for a while now. I adore dragons. But, I typically don't like alternative histories. However, knowing it is lighthearted AND has dragons, well, sounds good to me. I am, however, concerned greatly about that heartbreaking scene . . . I may have to re-write that in my mind. :D

message 39: by Snarktastic Sonja (last edited Feb 05, 2013 06:31AM) (new)

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments Sophie wrote: "I like light and fluffy, but I tend to hate HEA's. There are two series I think might be worth giving a try and both are availa..."

Sophie -

Hmm. I am gonna have to look at your book list and see what you have hated. :D I might like them.:D

Otherwise . . . you are on a roll! I highly enjoyed Moira Moore's series. It is incredibly light hearted and the covers are HORRIBLE! The books were never something I couldn't put down, but I enjoyed the ride. I was really pleased that she took it upon herself to conclude the story for her fans. However, The conclusion was a bit choppy to me. But, meh, I appreciated it more than I minded it.

I read, and LOVED Geist. Waiting for the 4th and final book to be released to finish this series.

I am (Finally!) feeling better, but still need books. More books, please! :D

message 40: by Fx (new)

Fx Smeets (fxsmeets) | 2 comments The Belgariad would also be my recommandation. Gripping, magic, happy ending, easy-to-engage-with characters...

MrsJoseph wrote: "Carol already got one of my recs!

I would also suggest the Belgariad series by David Eddings. It starts with The Belgariad: Volume One Pawn of Prophecy.

The Drenai Saga (Sword & Sorcery) startin..."

message 41: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Sonja wrote: "Tasula - I need to look at the discworld books again. I read the first a long, LONG time ago and remember not being able to comprehend the "world" ness of it. I may not have started at the beginning - and I may need to go back and do that. I have typically found that people either like Piers Anthony or Terry Pratchett. Their humor differs."

I've only read 2-3 Discworld books...but I'm an Piers Anthony fan from waaaaay back. I found Piers to be more "yuk yuk yuk" and Pratchett to supply his humor in situations and activities. But I enjoyed both authors!

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I found Piers to be more "yuk yuk yuk" and Pratchett to supply his humor in situations and activities. But I enjoyed both authors! "

See, you are the exception that proves the rule. ;)

Actually, it doesn't surprise me. Piers Anthony very much plays with words. Just discovered (ducking) that Terry Pratchett is British. This may be why he is over my head. I'm gonna try him again tho - just cuz I trust you!

message 43: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Feb 07, 2013 12:50PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Don't start with The Color of Magic! Ack! Could never get through that.

I started at The Wee Free Men. Loved it! The Wee Free Men: The Beginning THis book would have two books in it - the first two in the Tiffany Aching cycle.

message 44: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 21 comments On Pratchett, I particulary liked the later books, or any book with Susan, Vimes or Death.

message 45: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I really enjoy his stand along book in Discworld, Moving Pictures and Small Gods. A lot of people also enjoy including me his latest series, Moist von Lipwig with Going Postal and Making Money.

message 46: by Fx (last edited Feb 08, 2013 03:39AM) (new)

Fx Smeets (fxsmeets) | 2 comments Tasula wrote: "On Pratchett, I particulary liked the later books, or any book with Susan, Vimes or Death."

True. "Night Watch" is probably his best book - but also his darkest-. So, Sonja, probably not what you would like to read right now. I would also avoid the Granny Weatherwax ones: they are brilliant, but quite dark too.

I re-read "Interesting Times" and "The Last Continent" not long ago and I have to confess that the Rincewind series still makes me laugh.

message 47: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 21 comments Rincewind is hilarious- and I will never forget the unique character in his first book- The Luggage. Also, since our company is frequently audited, I love the villains called "the auditors".