Cromwell Cromwell discussion

How can Antonia Fraser be an apologist for a butcher like Cromwell in Ireland?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bernadette Matthews How can Antonia Fraser be an apologist for Oliver Cromwell who slaughtered thousands at. Drogheda.? She goes on to consider - truly!! that this might be a blight on his career, it might be a black spot on a stainless reputation. Oh, such a naive and unbelievable fool!. Let loose with pen and publicity too. Even she considers that it might be the cause of him having a bad reputation (fancy that)
There are things you can't wash away with soft soap Antonia Fraser, and its despicable that you try.
Cromwell was in Ireland to plunder, and murder.
I had to put this book away and seek some other objective account of Cromwell the butcher.
I feel reading it (and after reading her nonsense on Ireland) I could read no further.The woman is so utterly deluded , that the only thing remaining to ask how is how such a fool was allowed into print with such a grievous and offensive work?

Bernadette Matthews

Anna Johnstone You mean you couldn't stand to read something that didn't agree with you, or even consider that another point of view might be valid, and instead moved to something which pandered to your own confirmation bias. Look at the primary sources she refers to in her work as well as the bibliography: Fraser doesn't write to flatter people who have decided to hate a figure based on their existing reputation and find information to fit that view, she evaluates and analyses the evidence and THEN draws a conclusion

Andrew Fish What Cromwell did in Ireland is more or less the same as what Wellington did at some of the sieges in the Peninsular War, yet Wellington is lauded as a hero and Cromwell treated as a villain. We might not consider such behaviour acceptable now, but it was an acknowledged rule of war that allowed an army to sack a city which didn't surrender to siege. Had Cromwell's actions been elsewhere than Ireland, I suspect he would be viewed somewhat differently.

Bernadette Matthews I have put this in the Trash, I did read it first.

Bernadette Matthews Anna wrote: "You mean you couldn't stand to read something that didn't agree with you, or even consider that another point of view might be valid, and instead moved to something which pandered to your own confi..."
I have put this in the Trash I did read it first