Virtual Writers discussion

Author Services > Beta Readers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Virtual (new)

Virtual | 435 comments Mod
If you are a beta reader, or if you are seeking one, please post here.

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (Metruis) | 2 comments I beta read for fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and other speculative fiction. I can be convinced to have a look at other genres, for example I do enjoy a good read of a mystery, erotica, and all that... but I specialize in spec-fic. Oh yes, and graphic novels.

As a beta reader, I don't give much thought to proofreading... save that for someone who specializes in it. I make errors myself. (Though I'll poke a bit at tendencies to passive voice and other stylistic problems.) Instead, I focus on character, consistency, plot and pacing to keep things running at an interesting pace, world development... that kind of thing. I'm definitely more of a "pick me for your first or second draft" beta reader than a "just ironing out the kinks" beta reader, and you will get a through review of your draft. I will pick out what's good as well as what's bad, though I can be a bit harsh. I like fast-paced, character driven and a lot less wallowing in description. I'm notorious for taking writers who delve too much into Tolkienesque prose, kicking their butts, and then finding their own engaging voice underneath the lent. If your thesaurus is your best friend and you'd liken your style to the likes of Tolkien or someone else who drowns in words, we will likely clash as a pair unless you're looking to turn that into something faster paced.

I don't mind doing short stories/couple o' chapters as freebies (freebies are on my own time) but for anything longer than a few chapters, anything that requires commitment or a timer, the beta reader over here does like tips in the form of monetary value, and also appreciates the barter system. I accept free books, handmade things like cosmetics and jewelry... what can I say, I like things as tips. Ideally you'd be willing to do a bit of beta reading for me in return. So don't be afraid to make an offer if you have a 150k tome and a deadline. I work full time away from a computer but can certainly be encouraged up to speed.

Also currently looking for a person I can sound the construction of a novel off of. It is cyberpunk/fantasy, the first draft is done and I need a more disconnected eye not to beta read the draft, but the outline of the second draft, someone who can help me get from the problems I know are in draft one to a functional, fixed draft two. Ideally you'd specialize in plot and pacing nitty gritty and be interested in reading the finished draft... so someone willing to stick around. (I'd certainly be willing to beta read or do some illustration for you in return. My preference to the barter system goes both ways.)

message 3: by Mardi (new)

Mardi Edwards (mardio) | 1 comments Hi,
I'm new to this group but I'd love a review of my YA fantasy Secrets of Ghosts:
When sixteen year old Daffodil, who has escaped The Institution and carries with her a history of secrets that would make the discovery of the Holy Grail seem mundane, finds herself stranded in an icy wasteland with six others by her secret society, she comes across a gathering of ghosted orphans. To free these spirits, all that has been forgotten will need to be recovered and to do that, this group of misfits will need to face the secrets that have tragically haunted their own lives. It is the only way they will source their gifts. It is the only way they can escape the Shadow. It is the only way they will survive. And time is running out.
If you are interested I can provide a free kindle, epub or pdf and can be contacted by email :
mardyandscott@yahoo.com.au
Thanks! Secrets of Ghosts by Mardi Orlando Mardi Orlando

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra Brown (debrabrown) | 41 comments I would like to have beta readers for a historical suspense novel, For the Skylark. Note: The book is not quite finished, though I hope to be done in October. Several chapters are ready to go, though slight changes may need to be made.

The book might go into the New Adult slot of YA. Otherwise it will be adult. It will depend on the publisher.

You can see Chapter One here: http://authordebrabrown.blogspot.com/...

Thank you!

message 5: by Christie (new)

Christie Palmer | 7 comments I am seeking 2 more beta readers for my Paranormal Romance. If you are interested please email me off loop.
You can read chapter 1 on my website at: http://wp.me/P2IOb8-2N

thanks
Christie
christiepalmer.author@yahoo.com

message 6: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette (goodreadscomlifeandliterature) | 5 comments Hello All,

I desperately need a beta reader for my urban fantasy series. It's completed. I just would like a reader's opinion and if there are inconsistencies, etc. I am willing to trade services, a read for a read. Us writers need to help each other out. Please let me know via email. Happy Holidays!!!

jdpekala@gmail.com

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy Hi Jeanette, My husband just self-published his first book, Mind Ambition, and needs a beta reader as well. He would be happy to swap with you. His email is stephen.whaley@hotmail.com if you would like to contact him directly about the details. I will give him your email as well.

message 8: by Dia (new)

Dia Tucker | 3 comments Hey =) I'm not a published author so I don't know if this is allowed, but I'd like to get some feedback on a story I plan to put online.

It is a fantasy story with some political intrigue and has a female protagonist. Just a heads up, it's untitled at the moment and I would appreciate some suggestions. I'd like readers who don't mind pointing out grammatical or spelling errors,giving tips on pacing(mostly the final chapter), and give some suggestions for character names. This is the first half and it's four chapters. Chapters are fairly short though.
I've never tried this before but I'm more than happy to return the favor. My email is Silver_Tree91@yahoo.com

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a holiday story finished and would like a beta-reader for it. It is 47 pages long and is titled The Dream Catcher - Julia Rose Grey

message 10: by Willett (new)

Willett Thomas | 12 comments Hello All,

I'm about to issue my novel Raised by Hand, Lifted by the Tides-A Southern Child's Memoir in paperback through Create Space. So if you like literary fiction--Southern Gothic, I'd love to receive a few honest and objective beta readers for my novel--Think To Kill a Mockingbird and/or The Secret Lives of Bees.

I can send mobi or pdf or epub versions of my novel.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KEXEQO

All the best,
Willett

Raised by Hand, Lifted by the Tides a Southern Child's Memoir by Willett Thomas

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy (dollyames) | 2 comments I'd love to be a beta reader/proof reader for young adult fantasy, dystopian etc. I proof really well - I think I'm a comma nazi! LOL I'm currently working on my first novel in over 10 years and would love to swap.

Amy
dollyames@gmail.com

message 12: by Weisser (new)

Weisser (shawnweisser) I would love to review/beta read for anyone. I don't review erotica, GLBT or horror.

Some of my reviews are on GoodReads and some are on my blogs:
weisserbooks.wordpress.com
thechildrenslibrarian.wordpress.com

Shawn.Weisser@gmail.com

message 13: by Willett (new)

Willett Thomas | 12 comments Shawn wrote: "I would love to review/beta read for anyone. I don't review erotica, GLBT or horror.

thechildrenslibraria..."

Shawn wrote: "I would love to review/beta read for anyone. I don't review erotica, GLBT or horror.

thechildrenslibraria..."

Hi Shawn,

If you like literary fiction--Southern Gothic, I'm looking to receive honest and objective reviews for my novel, Raised by Hand, Lifted by the Tides--A Southern Child's Memoir. Think To Kill a Mockingbird and/or The Secret Lives of Bees. The link to my page on Amazon is below. If your schedule permits, I can send you a mobi file or epub or pdf.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009KEXEQO

All the best,
Willett

Raised by Hand, Lifted by the Tides a Southern Child's Memoir by Willett Thomas

message 14: by Weisser (new)

Weisser (shawnweisser) Would love to! Always looking for new material! shawn.weisser@gmail.com (epub please)

message 15: by Willett (new)

Willett Thomas | 12 comments Shawn wrote: "Would love to! Always looking for new material! shawn.weisser@gmail.com (epub please)"

Great! Just sent it over. Thanks.

message 16: by Weisser (new)

Weisser (shawnweisser) Great! Thanks!

message 17: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (natashasnow) Hi guys! I've just recently finished writing a short story and I would absolutely love any reviews, critiques, proof-reader, anything really that you're willing to offer! I'd really appreciate it since I've never written anything before now and I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

It's called Lover Boy and it's about 16 pages long, and almost 7,900 words. It's a glbt romance/coming of age/humor... kind of story. I'm not sure where else to categorize it.

If you have time to help me out, I can e-mail you a PDF or another file format that works for you.
Please PM me!

Thanks so much guys!

message 18: by Weisser (new)

Weisser (shawnweisser) Willett wrote: "Shawn wrote: "I would love to review/beta read for anyone. I don't review erotica, GLBT or horror.

thechi..."

Hi Willett,

My husband had emergency surgery while we were away at our daughter's college graduation. I am a little behind but will be reading your book soon!

Shawn

message 19: by Gamal (new)

Gamal Hennessy I'm currently looking for beta readers for my next criminal espionage novel. If you're interested, you can find out more about the premise of the story and other details with this link:

http://bit.ly/1bJJig4

Thanks in advance for your help.

Have fun.
Gamal

message 20: by Morrigan (last edited Sep 28, 2013 07:24PM) (new)

Morrigan (morriganalexandros) | 6 comments CEMA Publishing offers many services that may be of interest to authors. We offer beta reading services. The info is below if you would like more information:

www.cemapublishing.com
cmerced@cemapublishing.com

message 21: by Ermisenda (new)

Ermisenda Alvarez (ermisendaalvarez) | 18 comments Hello everyone!

Poisoned Waters by Ermisenda Alvarez

I'm looking for beta readers who can help me clean up my novel. For your feedback and editing critiques, you get a free book. For those willing to help out with editing (I really need a third perspective on the unnecessary adverbs/adjectives) then I will help out with my graphic design abilities (from a free book cover, or blog banner or something).

Poisoned Waters is my new mystery/suspense/thriller novel. The novel isn't too long, it clocks in at roughly 62 thousand words. Email me on ermisenda@live.com or leave a message below. :)

I have Kindle, ePub, & PDF formats.

Synopsis:
Bloody mistakes, ugly scars, and beautiful lies. A tale of corruption.

Helen Gardener is murdered on a trans-Atlantic cruise. The Diamond Royale sails from Southampton to New York with her murderer aboard. Set in the 1950s, Poisoned Waters follows the stories of seven unfortunate characters and how they are affected by her death. Was it merely an accident? Mr Phillips, the owner of the ship, and sponsor of the cruise, rules with an iron fist, in search of something or someone.

Lies spiral out of control as the suspects try to survive the final days on board. Conflicted by their sense of morals, greed, and lust, they realise what kind of people they really are. Who will rise? Who will fall? Who was Helen's murderer?

Book contains mild adult themes: violence, death, and sex scenes. Nothing explicit.

message 22: by Morrigan (new)

Morrigan (morriganalexandros) | 6 comments How long is the book? I can MAYBE beta read but I need a few specifics (how Many pages?)

message 23: by D (new)

D Thomas (mammy4423) | 5 comments I am a proofreader, spelling, word usage, punctuation...ect. I would be glad to help.

I am use to working with MS word.

Deb
mammy4423@yahoo.com

message 24: by D (new)

D Thomas (mammy4423) | 5 comments Ermisenda wrote: "Hello everyone!

Poisoned Waters by Ermisenda Alvarez

I'm looking for beta readers who can help me clean up my novel. For your feedback and editing critiques, you get a free book. For those willin..."

I am a proofreader, spelling, word usage, punctuation...ect. I would be glad to help.

I am use to working with MS word.

Deb
mammy4423@yahoo.com

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (jlweade) | 1 comments I am a beta reader with strong aspirations to become a proof reader. I'm most familiar with MS Word, but have used Adobe in the past. I read for grammar, spelling, continuity, & content. Message me and I'll give you my address.
Laura

message 26: by D (last edited Nov 20, 2013 09:43PM) (new)

D Thomas (mammy4423) | 5 comments I am a beta reader and proofreader. I check for spelling, word usage, punctuation. I also check for details left out.

I work with MS Word. Have never worked with Adobe.

I will also work with MS and books.

message 27: by S.L. (new)

S.L. (sabby34) Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for some feedback. The book is complete.

This will fall in the category of New Adult.
Word - 78,000
Genre - Supernatural Romance

It was my NANOWRIMO story and the next one I want to pitch to agents of this genre.
Would appreciate all the help I can get.

Synopsis:

The back story is in L.A where Lauren and her boyfriend lived. Then there is a tragic accident Matt dies and Lauren is unable to live in their apartment any longer. She moves home to Portland Oregon where the story takes place. She can’t move on, everything reminds her of him. Months after his death she moves home, but things don’t get better. Now she’s seeing Matt’s ghost and thinks she is losing her mind. He appears at random times mostly when she is alone. She can’t help but sense that Matt is trying to tell her something. Just when she thinks everything is starting to look up and she is having fun with old friends and meeting new ones She meets a guy. Mason Foster, the millionaire bachelor with a bad reputation. Everyone knows Mason and his one night stands after one night stands. It’s secret that is unique baby blues steal the hearts of every woman in town. However, Lauren finds him rude and uncouth and it’s obvious he cares only for himself. Until his eyes fall upon Lauren, the girl from his childhood. As Lauren discovers that Mason grabs her attention, despite all his best efforts. Lauren loves to hate Mason and vice versa. But a new boy comes to town, Mason’s older brother from Seattle. Turns out he is a lot easier to get alone with and also easy on the eyes. Nick doesn’t hide that he adores her leaving Lauren torn.

Who will she end up with?

Read and see!

Thanks again. Please reply to this thread or inbox me if you are interested. It will be in Adobe format.

Sabrina

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm looking for beta readers to critique the character development descriptions of characters and settings, pace, and plot structure of my NA historical novel, Pharaoh of the Sun, which weaves together the key figures: Akhenaten, Nefertiti, Amenhotep III, Tiya, vizier Nahkte (aka Joseph son of Jacob), high priest Meryra, and others into a plot involving romance, adventure, and treachery. It is the first of five historical novels about the origins and secret history of Christianity. It is complete at 36,000 words.

Here is foreword followed by an excerpt:

FOREWORD:
Ever since the archeologist, Flinders Petrie discovered the ruins of Akhetaten in 1893 in what is now called Tel el Amarna, people have speculated about the mystery of the Pharaoh Akhenaten, Queen Nefertiti, their children, and other key players in this historical drama.

It is a mystery because many of the records of what happened during Akhenaten and Nefertiti’s short reign were destroyed. What little remains from clay tablets and tomb paintings and inscriptions are like jig saw puzzle pieces that give us tantalizing hints of parts of the whole picture. The archeologist Barry Kemp of Cambridge University wrote that so little is known about what actually happened during the reign of Akhenaten that "the minute you begin to write about those people you begin to write fiction."1

There have been many works of fiction about Akhenaten, including two by Nobel Prize winners: Akhenaten Dweller in Truth by Egyptian novelist Naguib Mahfouz and Joseph and his Brothers by Thomas Mann. Mahfouz presents conflicting accounts of what happened through fictional interviews with the key players, each offering their viewpoint. While incorporating a lot of historical information to present plausible events and motives, it leaves the reader wondering who was telling the truth and what really happened. Mann presents the theory that Akhenaten was the Pharaoh whose dreams Joseph, son of Jacob interpreted. This is more fact than fiction, as the Archeologist Robert Feather found evidence that indicates that Akhenaten’s father Amenhotep III was that pharaoh and that Joseph, under the Egyptian name, Nakhtpaaten, became Akhenaten’s vizier.2

This novel presents the viewpoints of the key players including Joseph, and their roles in shaping the religious revolution of Akhenaten. It attempts to put all the pieces together into a whole picture that can be understood and appreciated for its historical significance and its message for modern times. I have used real images of 18th dynasty sculptures and paintings as well as modern artists’ renderings of the key persons and places of this drama. And at certain places in the dialog, I have used the actual recorded words of Akhenaten and others in italics. When you read them, you will see how well they fit into the plot of the story.

The final chapter on Akhenaten’s legacy presents what may seem a surprising conclusion, but when you think about it in the light of biblical and historical texts cited, it makes perfect sense and offers some jigsaw pieces to what some consider another puzzle of history: the origins of Christianity.

EXCERPT:
Amenhotep had mixed feelings about the revelation that he would be sent to On to become a high priest of Ra-Horakhti. As much as he detested the priesthood, he respected the priests of On because they worshipped the original sun god, Aten, who was the chief god of the Old Kingdom before all the minor gods of the New Kingdom began crowding heaven. And he was glad that the purpose of his becoming a high priest was to regain control from the priests of Amen-Ra. But he was sad that he would have to leave his beloved Nefertiti for two years.

After eating, Amenhotep got up to find her. He found her in the next room talking with his sister Nebetah.

“Pardon me, Nebetah,” he said, “but I must speak with Nefertiti in private.”

“No doubt to flatter her and pledge your eternal devotion,” said Nebetah wryly. “Would that I could find such a devoted lover. Very well, I will leave you two love birds alone.”

Nefertiti raised her hand in parting and smiled at Nebetah. Then, turning to Amenhotep, she asked, “What is it you wish to speak about?”

“Come,” said Amenhotep, motioning with his hand, “Let’s stroll through the garden.”

The royal palace garden was filled with many exotic flowers and ponds stocked with fish and water lilies. Amenhotep bent down to pluck one of the water lilies and gave it to Nefertiti.

“The fairest flower of the plant kingdom for the fairest flower of the human kingdom.”

Nefertiti took the lily and laughed, “Nebetah was right; you do want to flatter me.”

“It’s not flattery,” protested Amenhotep. “It’s the truth; there is no woman more beautiful than you. But, in any case, I have a more serious matter to discuss.”

Nefertiti lifted an eyebrow. “Oh, what is that?”

“I overheard my father saying that I will go to the sun temple of On to become a high priest of Ra-Horakhti. We will be apart for two years.” Amenhotep stopped and turned to her. “I don’t want to leave you.”

“But it’s such an opportunity,” said Nefertiti wide-eyed. “Just think, the sun temple of On has the greatest library in the world. And you would learn the sacred mysteries of the Healers.”

“What is wisdom without love?” protested Amenhotep. “Our society puts too much emphasis on learning and doing, and too little on feeling.”

“But without learning and doing, you cannot hope to change society,” countered Nefertiti.

Amenhotep smiled, “As always, your logic is infallible.”

“More flattery?”

“Again, it’s the truth; you are not only the most beautiful woman in the world but the most intelligent.” He put his arms around her and sighed. “Oh, I will miss you so.”

Nefertiti replied cheerfully, “I know you; you will be so absorbed in study that the time will pass swiftly, and before you know it, it will be time to return to Thebes. But lest you forget me, I will send you letters and sweetmeats.”

“How could I ever forget you?” asked Amenhotep, gazing into her eyes. “I would sooner forget to breathe than forget you.”

They kissed, and in that kiss, they renewed their pledge to be eternally faithful to each other. Then they continued walking in silence, for nothing more needed to be said.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm looking for beta readers to critique the character development, decriptions of characters and setting, pace, and plot structure of my 17,365-word novella, Rex, the Magical Teddybear in the next few weeks. It's the story of Julia, a precocious twelve-year-old girl who grew up in Africa with her missionary parents and has a pet lion. During a civil war in Angola, she is sent away to live with her grandmother, a lighthouse keeper on the coast of Northwest England, There, she meet her eccentric grandmother and her more eccentric gardener and friends and has adventures with a ghost, a white magician, and one of the little people (actually, a dwarf coal miner), all leading to a dramatic conclusion in which she helps save her parents' lives and that of hundreds of people remotely with the help of Rex, a magical teddybear that has the spirit of a Tibetan mountain god.

I am pasting the beginning of chapter 1 below:
The lion crept silently through the tall grass of the African veldt. Its prey, a young girl reading in the shade of a gigantic baobab tree, was oblivious to its stalking. When the lion was just a few yards away, it suddenly roared and leaped into the air landing on the ground next to the girl. What happened next would have been seen as very strange to anyone who might have observed them. The girl was merely startled as if a bird had suddenly disturbed her reverie, and the lion, instead of attacking her, rolled on the ground like a kitten wanting to be petted. And that’s just what the girl did.

“Leonardo, you’re a bad boy for scaring me,” said the girl. “So, I shouldn’t pet you; that would just encourage this kind of behavior. But I suppose you would keep pestering me if I didn’t.”

message 30: by F.J. (last edited Jul 07, 2014 04:10PM) (new)

F.J. Hansen (fjhansen) | 2 comments I am seeking beta readers for two science fiction novels -- Books 2 and 3 of a series that are set back-to-back.

Book 2: Fractured Dream is approximately 112,400 words.

Book 3: Rehatching is approximately 119,460 words.

Blurb for Fractured Dream:

Draconia: a world home to a race of intelligent dragons--the Draconians. Hatching: a Human colony established on Draconia for a 10-year trial period during which Draconians and Humans would learn to trust each other and form a peaceful co-existence. In exchange, the Earth Union would protect the planet from invaders.

Seven years have passed since the Treaty was formed. For seven years, Draconians and the Humans of Hatching have lived in peace. The friendship between Varthikes and Audwin McClance has blossomed; they now consider each other brothers. It was all about to change...

The Earth Union have become lax in upholding their end of the Treaty. Loyal Providence, Humans who oppose the Treaty, and Commander Slikmac of the lizard-like Norseen, who seeks to control the Draconians, have formed an alliance. Together, they launch a devastating attack on Draconia, striking Bare Peak Range and provoking a renegade group of Draconians into attacking the colony.

Varthikes and Audwin race to repair the fracture in their dream of a peaceful co-existence, battling invading Norseen, enduring the brand of traitor from both sides and tests to their friendship.

PM me your e-mail address if you're interested.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I have my first book Dragon Spirit (Urban Fantasy) up on WattPad. If anyone would like to read some of it, I would love some feedback.

You can leave a comment on the story itself or PM me and let me know what you think.

Thank you
Pam

http://www.wattpad.com/story/11898016...

message 32: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Dowson (mandyloudowson) | 3 comments Hello all,

I am looking for some Beta Readers (obvious mode, enabled).

I'm hesitant to pigeon-hole the genre. It's Urban Fantasy, but it's also Romance and has some Erotica. I suppose if I really have to (groan!) I would say it's a Paranormal Romance. It's roughly 80k words, and has already been through one round of Betas, before tidying up. Here's a blurb.

The story concentrates on Beth, a twenty-something werewolf brought up in the archaic society of the pack.
Giving her Guardian the slip has never been a problem for Beth -- she's fast, feisty and impossible to track -- at least, until she gets lumped with Gareth, who seems determined to sniff her out no matter where she runs to.
One disastrous night of passion leads her to put herself forward for Mating -- but it's not only Gareth she needs to worry about. A wolf from a neighbouring and hostile pack has a dark interest in this female.
Will love conquer all or will the mystery surrounding her destroy everything she knows?
Because Beth has a secret...she just doesn't know it yet.

If the above sounds like something you would be interested in reading, please do send me a PM. Ideally I'm looking for Betas to concentrate on the flow of the story. Are there plot-holes I've missed?
You know the score :)

Thanks all.

message 33: by Chaz (last edited Jul 20, 2014 05:37AM) (new)

Chaz Fenwick (chaz_fenwick) | 1 comments Hi,
I'm new to this group. I'm after beta readers for my 77K word manuscript. It has been copy edited and proof read. However since that time I've added more to the story as suggested by him. It's basically about a group of teenagers belonging to the heavy metal subculture. The Metalheads get pulled into a gang war against an emerging street gang strongly influenced by American rap/hip hop culture.

You can check out a little bit more about it on my website:
http://www.chaznetproductions.com

If you're a heavy metal fan you should enjoy the story, at least that's what I'm hoping.

message 34: by Tammi (new)

Tammi (tammi6329) | 2 comments I'd love to beta read for you Mandi if you'll let me :)

message 35: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Dowson (mandyloudowson) | 3 comments Hi Tammi, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Can you PM me your email address, and I can send you on the file in whatever format you prefer?

Thanks,
Mandy

message 36: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Annett (danielle-annett) | 3 comments I have an urban fantasy novel that I'm looking to have beta'd
Cursed by Fire (Blood & Magic #1) by Danielle Annett

I'm ideally looking for someone who I can send bits and pieces to along the way to help me further develop certain areas of my book and provide feedback. I am not looking for someone who wants the entire MS at once to read over. I'm very leery of anyone having my MS and potentially leaking it since I've heard several - what I can only call horror stories - of this actually happening and authors finding their books on pirated sites prior to the books release.

I've decided to be cautious since this is my first release.

I'd like someone who reads primarily Urban Fantasy since that is the market I'm aiming for. You do not need to have any previous experience beta reading.

My ideal Beta Reader

Would reside within my target audience of Urban Fantasy
Would be opinionated but would be able to express their opinions without killing my dreams, someone who can articulate their thoughts and criticize my work in a professional manner.
Is not related to me and are not afraid to hurt my feelings
Is a regular reader. If I go to your house, your shelves are just as cluttered as mine :)
Recognizes the difference between what a teacher tells you is proper writer and what actually represents a writers voice and is not afraid to deviate from "technically correct."
Understands what is relatively unimportant on a first beta read. (There will be a few typos and some grammatical mistakes. You are getting my book prior to my editor because I am on the fence about several things and want to make the changes before I go on to edits

Thanks so much

message 37: by Maya (new)

Maya Sandlin | 1 comments I've just completed the third draft of my story, The Legacy Journal, and before I even consider publishing it, I would love a beta reader. It's a little over 85K and YA Mystery with a little romance.

The story is about a fifteen year girl, who has been an outsider since she was the new girl at the ISA (International Spy Academy). After skipping Sophomore year, it becomes even more of a problem. Except this time it isn't about her being younger or new. She knows there is a secret and will stop at nothing to uncover it.

I would love a beta reader that is willing to point out obvious grammar mistakes (not like an editor, just if you happen to notice one) and tell me what my story is lacking.

If interested please contact me at mgsandlin@gmail.com.

Thank you so much,
Maya Sandlin

message 38: by Tammi (last edited Aug 10, 2014 12:07AM) (new)

Tammi (tammi6329) | 2 comments I tried to email you Maya but it said it was an invalid email address.

message 39: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 1 comments Hello! I am currently looking for Beta readers to read my novel. I am looking for someone who will give me honest feedback and constructive criticism.

The first chapter is on Wattpad. Either comment on the story or PM if you can read it. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.wattpad.com/myworks/304752...

message 40: by Paula (last edited Mar 24, 2015 11:48AM) (new)

Paula R | 2 comments Seeking a/several Beta readers and very new to the process here. I guess my first question is where would I find the rules on Beta Reading? I've read about the strict guidelines and wish to obey! Once I'm done with that, is there anyone out there who is willing to read from the imagination of a first-time (full book) writer under the chic-lit/nod to the erotic genre? The journey is about a widow in her mid 30's, raising her adopted son and fed up with the rat race that just barely covers the essentials. Romie finally breaks out of her rut and agrees to go out on that first date since Jack's passing, right around the time her son starts to utter his first words in over two long years... where everything starts to unfold. It's about love, a little lust (caution those whole blush easily!), self-discovery, and you'll find some good Jewish humour (think Seinfeld - George Kostanza's parents) sprinkled throughout. Of course the main character dabbles in a brand new industry which I will leave as a surprise but will say 2 things: it deals with mature subject matter and the writing is treated with the utmost respect to the "profession." Looking for some constructive feedback as my reader friends, a lovely group of women, have only nice things to say so far (yeah, you get my drift.) Thank you/Gracias/Merci.

message 41: by NicoleFlockton (new)

NicoleFlockton PA (NicoleFlocktonPA) | 2 comments Looking for ARC readers for a new contemporary romance novella :)

The Victor - A Prequel Novella (The Freemasons - #1) by Nicole Flockton

Blurb: Ava Vaughan is back to see her sexy estranged husband Cole Jacobs, for one thing – to get a divorce. After living apart for the last six months the time has come to move on and start her life over. When she confronts Cole the last thing she expects is for him to say No.

Cole isn’t ready to let go of Ava. He comes up with a plan that will keep her by his side and help her fledging event planning company. Once the job is over he will give her the divorce she wants.
Only working together brings buried feelings to the surface forcing them both to face the reasons why their marriage fell apart. Suddenly letting go isn’t as easy as either one thought.

Want to review the ARC? Sign up here: goo.gl/forms/4eJf5XlUfz

message 42: by Troy (new)

Troy Jackson | 7 comments Anyone bored and looking to beta read my second novel (out of 3)? It would fall into the Historical Fantasy genre. Here is the link to the first:

The Elementals (The Elementals, #1) by Troy Jackson

Please send me a message here on Goodreads, as I may not check here every day. Thanks in advance!

message 43: by Jon (new)

Jon White | 1 comments Hello all

I am looking for three beta readers for a high fantasy novel that focusses on two children. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Thanks

Jon

message 44: by Entrada (new)

Entrada Book Review | 67 comments Very reasonable rates!

We have reviewers that will read anything EXCEPT erotica.

Very experienced and a quick turnaround time, 2-3 weeks at the MOST, usually 1-2.

You'll receive honest feedback from real readers.

http://www.entradapublishing.com/edit...

For 20% off posted rates use code: half

Anyone looking for a beta reader?

message 45: by Andy (new)

Andy Holland | 1 comments Hello,

I'm looking for beta readers who would be willing to review my book - a fantasy book focussed on dragons, and the second part to a two-part story. Here's a link to the first book:
Becoming a Dragon

Please send me a message if you are interested.

Thanks,

Andy

message 46: by Catherine (last edited Mar 28, 2016 02:56PM) (new)

Catherine O'donohue | 1 comments Hello,

I am looking for a beta reader interested in reading the first 5 chapters of my historical romance. I am not looking for proofreading, but honest, constructive feedback on plotting and character development.

Please send me a message if you might be interested.

Thank-you,
Cathy

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (acts17sisters) | 1 comments To whom it may concern,

I am seeking a beta reader who would be interested in reading the first few chapters of my Christian fiction book, and more if you are willing. I would love constructive comments from Christians or not.

The novel revolves around a young woman who is struggling to reconcile her faith in the Lord with her troubling marital circumstances. I hope that whoever might take me up on this project can appreciate her deep confliction between her crippling fear and sincere faith.

My hope is that this story will teach that though the gift of grace and forgiveness is afforded to all who repent with a sincere heart, the aftermath of our own decisions does not always end with a neatly tied bow and a happily ever after.

If you are interested, please send me a message.

Thank you for your consideration,
Stephanie

message 48: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary Cole (rosemarycole) Hi all,

I'm looking for beta readers for my new sci-fi novel, The X-Variant. It's 77k words and features a plucky young heroine, a zombie apocalypse, and time travel. I'm not looking for any proofreading or editing, just your opinion. I think you'll find it's a fast, fun read. If you're interested, please PM me. Thanks and have a nice day!

message 49: by Haley (new)

Haley Sulich (haleysulich) | 2 comments Hello! I'm currently looking for beta readers who are interested in reading a novel about two sisters learning to love each other after the youngest was kidnapped to be a soldier and lost her ability to feel emotion.
I currently am editing the second draft of my novel and have 16 chapters done so far (I have very short chapters--the novel is only 110k words but has 116 chapters). I'm planning to edit at least one chapter per day to get it out to betas and will continuously be updating a shared Google Doc with these chapters. For more details, please contact me at hsulichstolen@gmail.com

Thanks!

message 50: by Entrada (new)

Entrada Book Review | 67 comments Hi Haley,

I would suggest that you have the entire editing process complete before you start working with beta readers. Many like to read an hour or more at a time and that allows them to really get immersed in the story. Not only that, some reader will consume the entire book in one day and won't be as interested in getting a digest of sorts. Does that make sense?

Good luck!

Rachel

« previous 1