Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

Touches the Heart > Norah Lofts Poem by Mary C.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 186 comments Barbara, is this the one that was on the Allreaders website?

message 2: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 186 comments I don't think so... I just recognized it from the site that I originally met Barbara and Joanne and Gabbi on.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2099 comments Cassie wrote: "Barbara, is this the one that was on the Allreaders website?"
If it is the In Memoriam one , I think it must be, Mary wrote it years ago she said, and came across it again recently. I like it too, don't you?
I shoudn't think it is copyright, but one of us could go to Allreaders and ask maybe

message 4: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 186 comments I just posted a request on Allreaders.

message 5: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 186 comments I don't think so. I've mentioned this site before on Allreaders and I figured she would have joined already if she was going to.

message 6: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 186 comments She said she would like to copyright it first.

message 7: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 186 comments She has copyrighted it and given permission so we can post it now. I'll have to look it up again and post it. Or, Alice, if you still have it you can post it again.

message 8: by Barbara (last edited Feb 28, 2009 09:44PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2099 comments I have it, here it is

In Memoriam Norah Lofts
The lights are out in Baildon.
Every street From Saltgate to the Abbey ruins lies
Empty and dark.
No tread of moving feet
Is heard in Market Square, no words, no cries
From children at the Grammar School, no voice.
The lanes are still about the countryside.
Fennels at Ockley, Hattons at Mortiboys
Are gone, and brambles choke the Lady’s Ride.
The books are closed in Turnbull’s law chamber.
Cobwebs hang thick upon the shuttered door
Of the Hawk in Hand, and down at Bywater
The ships lie beached along the silting shore.
The bell has tolled its last for Martin Reed At Flaxham Church.
The last Tom Thoroughgood
Has bred at Nettleton his last gold steed.
Silence has fallen over Layer Wood.

By Mary of Allreaders and elsewhere

message 9: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 701 comments Thank you, Alice! And thank you, all of you, who posted those earlier comments, which I hadn't seen until now!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary wrote: "Thank you, Alice! And thank you, all of you, who posted those earlier comments, which I hadn't seen until now!"

So glad you joined us. I didn't realize you had. I just made this into a neverending quiz question so that many can read it on the quiz. I think its simply GREAT.