The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > I can't find anything LIke Star Wars Galaxies.

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye | 122 comments SWG finished Last year and I like loads of my friend were sad to see it go.

Does anyone know of anything that is remotly like it. I am not talking about genre, I am talking about game play. It was very much a sand box game. It had Player cities. Large Maps. I loved the stuff you could craft and use them in a manner of decorating your house, regardless off what is was you were creating. Everything you created could be used by your imagination to decorate your house. You were only limited to what you could think out, and some people had awesome ideas.

There are so many other elements about the game that stood out for me, I just can't remember them all. oh and it has to be MMO. though single player games will be accepted.

If anyone has any suggestions please post.

Thanks

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't played StarWars Galaxies but the most fun I have had with a sandbox game is with a game called Darkfall. I think it is supposed to be relaunching at some point in the future. It has player built cities, good pvp when higher up, and good crafting, theres some great looking gear you can make, you can also get a house but I dont know whether you can decorate it. You can check youtube video's of it, there have been some pretty epic pvp battles with guilds.. My boyfriend got me into it, it got a bad rep for some reason but I thought it was a highly underrated game, well worth checking out.

message 3: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments I will keep my eyes out for darkfall, as thus far - there Is no substitute for swg - I'm sad to say. There are still a number of us who had a radio station in tso and swg days who stay connected in the hope we will find another social creative game which includes crafting and adventuring.... It's yet to come.

Second life worked so long as you could handle xxx rating as the greatest sandbox, Lotr put in housing but I've ever seen it - it was several years into the game and we moved out already. Age of conan had player guild instances you crafted into being together. But you needed a big group to make progress and only onenor twopeople controlled the creativity at the top. City of heros is about to be unplugged but had lairs which nearly worked out. Rift is supposed to have housing but I am level 48 and haven't seen it.
Our best bet on the way is sim city world. Your cities overlap and you work with or against friends.... So long as they make sure that the communication is there between friends, we are in. No hand to hand combat though, so again - no cure for the swg world we loved. No mayorial elections or creative shopping districts, no second, third fourth or fifth houses needed to store and organize your fashionable headgear armor and gowns...

-arrika
Aka the maelstroms ( rexx, calianna, ar'ka, kiiarra, Ishtar etc etc on swg)

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments You could keep an eye on the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online. It was only announced this year, so not anywhere near release, and there isn't that much information on it yet (it will be pretty PVP focused by the looks of it), but the Elder Scrolls single player games are very sandbox in style. It isn't that much of a stretch to assume something similar for the MMO version.

message 5: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments Great recommendation Kevin! My family has been hooked on elder scrolls - the online version could be a great escape ( / fingers crossed )

message 6: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments Wurm Online sounds similar to what you're looking for.

message 7: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I've played Lord of the Rings Online since opening, and the player housing is good, but it's not the sandbox Star Wars Galaxies was. There's always Everquest II, which featured much of the same coding in terms of house customization.

As a lead I would offer SWGMU
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/content....
I haven't tried this, but a group of volunteers are reverse engineering the game (in a legal way) that will allow people to set up private servers and play something very much like Galaxies. For free. Again, don't know how good it is, but many of the people I know going through Galaxies withdrawal have enjoyed it.

message 8: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments My husband and I just made a guild on Darkhaven in GW2 called ETC (Empowering the Crew)
I looked around for others from Geek and Sundry / Vaginal Fantasy / Sword and Laser but hadn't found anyone online this week so here we go. Laid back guild - you can come and go as you please which is an awesome feature (can be in many guilds and just set who you want to hang with at a given time to get buffs and advantages accordingly. I Love the book chatter that goes on and id love to have it carry over into game.

We could even have reading nights to discuss the geekery amongst us. Or not :)

If you are interested send me a message here or in game to arrika.4168

message 9: by Aikuchi (new)

Aikuchi | 4 comments Arrika wrote: "My husband and I just made a guild on Darkhaven in GW2 called ETC (Empowering the Crew)
I looked around for others from Geek and Sundry / Vaginal Fantasy / Sword and Laser but hadn't found anyone o..."

Server :D ?

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 163 comments Gary wrote: "Arrika wrote: "My husband and I just made a guild on Darkhaven in GW2 called ETC (Empowering the Crew)
I looked around for others from Geek and Sundry / Vaginal Fantasy / Sword and Laser but hadn't..."

I would assume from arrikas message that the server is darkhaven
great message Arrika good luck in forming your guild and having a goodreads/gw2 crossover great idea!!

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye | 122 comments Arrika wrote: "My husband and I just made a guild on Darkhaven in GW2 called ETC (Empowering the Crew)
I looked around for others from Geek and Sundry / Vaginal Fantasy / Sword and Laser but hadn't found anyone o..."

Wow cool, Awesome Idea.

After posting I realised I made a mistake on saying genre, What I ment was I didn't want to play a Star Wars MMO, but I still wanted Sci-fi and or Fantasy.

There have been only two Star Wars MMO's as you all know. SWG, and SWTOR. SWG was awesome, I have played a number of MMO's since and there is nothing that has come any where close to it in every aspect an MMO offers. As for SWTOR, well I am sure it is a good game in its own right, but it just doesn't have what SWG had, The Sand Box element.

Any way that said I am still open to ideas about MMO's and if it is posibble to demo GW2 I would like to do that.

message 12: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments When they pass out friend invites I will have you in mind :)(usually gives a week of freeplay)
Most games usually wait 3-4 months after release before they prompt a second wave though so you likely have a little bit of a wait.
SWG will always be a great lesson in life for me and friends.. you never know what you've got until its gone. That was a GREAT game as a follow up to TSO. Until a thousand Jedis appeared via random Holocron though, of course.

message 13: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments YEs, the server is Darkhaven - but they make guilds semi useful across servers as well. Really a guild in GW2 feels like a forum topic vs a forum. You can participate in many. which makes it more open ended and rather cool.

Jane wrote: "Gary wrote: "Arrika wrote: "My husband and I just made a guild on Darkhaven in GW2 called ETC (Empowering the Crew)
I looked around for others from Geek and Sundry / Vaginal Fantasy / Sword and Las..."

message 14: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Ekonoja (livaet) | 9 comments I also miss SWG - after its demise I've been stymied to find another MMOs with such a great social and creative sandbox scene and a non-focus on levels, points, "dailys" or any other type of ranking system. I ran a delivery service for stims and consumables and met hundreds of players, some I still stay in contact with today. I entirely agree with Arrika above who wrote that SWG was a lesson in never knowing what you have before it's gone. Sure, the influx of Jedis effectively killed a lot of the creativity, but it still had heart in a way I haven't seen since and would like to find again. Heart and story. And opportunity. And don't forget the pets.

I was really looking forward to SWTOR, but it just didn't do it for me at all. So if anyone has found a great sandbox game, please post here!

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye | 122 comments Larissa wrote: "I also miss SWG - after its demise I've been stymied to find another MMOs with such a great social and creative sandbox scene and a non-focus on levels, points, "dailys" or any other type of rankin..."

You put it way better than me. Everything you said I agree with. PLEASE POST HERE FOR GREAT SAND BOX GAME => SWG

message 16: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments Nods sadly and continues the search.

message 17: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments LOTRO has a good housing system. You can buy 3 types of houses ( you get an instant teleport skill to it) and you can decorate it whith furniture crafted or aquired from event quests. the house is shared whith all the characters you have on the server

message 18: by Otto (new)

Otto (andrewlinke) | 110 comments I'm hoping that Pathfinder Online gets funded (they're showing a tech demo to investors this month). The designers are talking a lot about providing a balance of good sandbox opportunity with pre-written quests and global events.

message 19: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye | 122 comments Oooo! that sounds good. DO we know anything about it??

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Just a heads up Darkfall is re launching in November everything is being reset, just incase you guys are interested, I think its worth a check.

message 21: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye | 122 comments Cool, I will look up Darkfall and pathfinder awesome please keep those sugestion coming

message 22: by Larissa (last edited Oct 07, 2012 11:43PM) (new)

Larissa Ekonoja (livaet) | 9 comments Would anyone who plays Darkfall be willing to write a little about its storyline and playstyle?

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 08, 2012 04:07AM) (new)

Darkfall is a sandbox game and the fighting style is very much like skyrim, being a sandbox game the quests and hand holding is limited, there is a world and you live in it.
There is good crafting and you need reagents for using your magic which you have to farm, the magic system is vast, but there will be guides online.
There is world pvp and if you are killed people can take your stuff, which makes this game a whole different ball game, you have to use your eyes and ears to hear and see people coming obviously but it makes being in the world an intense experience, people will kill you for your stuff.
The guild battles I have seen and world pvp I have seen on youtube looked epic, I never really got high enough, when I started is was way into the game and I was just in lowbie areas, but even that was intense.
My boyfriend was in a guild and really enjoyed it, you have to go out and watch each others back and look after the guild town your have made and live in.
Dont be put of when you first play because it can be a bit of a culture shock when you come from a theme park mmo.

But it is being relaunched with changes like specializations, I dont know what else will have changed.

Hope thats not too much of a wall of text.

message 24: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Ekonoja (livaet) | 9 comments Wow. Sounds actually like a move in the right direction, as online games go. Definitely not too much of a wall of text - thanks very much for the details. I'd say it's the type of game I'd be very interested in - particularly if it has a storyline. I would love to see a reminder post here when they relaunch!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Its going to be relaunched in November time, there wasn't much of a story line when I played its more like there is lore but that might change with the reboot I don't know, its definitely one of the best mmos I have played so im looking forward to the re launch.

I'l friend you then I can pm you when its launched.

message 26: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments i found a gameplay video for darkfall http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnRy5...

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 08, 2012 08:19AM) (new)

That doesn't make it look very good, but it is, my boyfriends a huge gamer and he loves it, people who play it love it, I will try and find some better video's, im going to be playing that and guildwars 2. I think the graphics will be re done for the re launch, the video makes the combat look crap but its not, the AI for the mobs is amazing, its very skill based, there are alot of haters for this game but there seem like there are alot of haters on mmos these days anyway you should see the guildwars forum and that game is amazing.

message 28: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Lucy wrote: "That doesn't make it look very good, but it is, my boyfriends a huge gamer and he loves it, people who play it love it, I will try and find some better video's, im going to be playing that and guil..."

the only think I disliked is the difficulty in the beginner's area

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

What difficulty do you mean?

message 30: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Lucy wrote: "What difficulty do you mean?"

it seemed like the goblins have a fast respawn

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 08, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

Ahh, a two handed weapon would calve them up, they do start to get easier don't let that put you off, you soon surpass them.

For me thats whats good about it, it is a bit challenging and skill based rather than theme park.

message 32: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Lucy wrote: "Ahh, a two handed weapon would calve them up, they do start to get easier don't let that put you off, you soon surpass them.

For me thats whats good about it, it is a bit challenging and skill bas..."

I never said it was discouraging ( i finished the first fallout fighting unarmed) but new players might be

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

This is early footage of Darkfall these are some of the features they were advertising http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYYT6...

And this some world battles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQwfK...

All the graphics have been redone for the relaunch

Sorry Kamil thought you were talking about yourself :)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

And this is new footage of the new game that should be out in November

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G1r5y...

message 35: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments The creators of CoH/CoV have also released Champions Online... and the game became free to play

message 36: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Ekonoja (livaet) | 9 comments Is it any good? CoH/CoV was quite okay, although it became repetitive after a while. Not so much sandbox, but a good social game.

message 37: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Larissa wrote: "Is it any good? CoH/CoV was quite okay, although it became repetitive after a while. Not so much sandbox, but a good social game."

I played Champions online and it's a sandbox version of CoH. And the various oponents are smarter than those in CoH

message 38: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Ekonoja (livaet) | 9 comments Could definitely take a look at it then. Are European servers separate from north American?

message 39: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments This might be of interest too.

http://www.theralon.com/

Not that much is known, except that it's going to be very sandbox in style (with player built towns and stuff) and that's going with a free-to-play model.

Graphically it looks stunning.

message 40: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments Rift has a beta out right now for a expansion which includes sandbox style housing. Pics look very individualized and free form, well worth a look. I'm under nda but will be playing it this weekend and building building building. Hope it's as cool as the previews make it look!

message 41: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli EVE Online could be worth a look. It's economy is almost entirely player driven. Huge parts of the galaxy are free of NPCs and are divided in player civilizations.
It's not the easiest game to get into, but the immersion is quite deep and unique.

I played it a few years back and they added a lot of stuff since I've been gone. Maybe that could be something that interests you.

message 42: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments Eve limits the players characters more than most of my swg friends could accept, yes they are now three dimensional - but limiting movement to within your ship is strict!

I've had an eve account since forever - but my husband played it for me while we waited for it to get more exciting for me. New exciting news suggests that an extended gameworld for eve will soon have planet action coexisting with eves space economy... Or something like that... Then it might feel like a swg alternative, but it's not social and creative enough to captivate us yet...

message 43: by Kevin (last edited Oct 21, 2012 09:52AM) (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Arrika wrote: "Eve limits the players characters more than most of my swg friends could accept, yes they are now three dimensional - but limiting movement to within your ship is strict!

I've had an eve account s..."

That planet action is going to be large scale MMO style FPS, not really what you're looking for if I'm not mistaken. It'll actually be a separate game linked into the main EVE game. The FPS part takes place on the planets, while EVE plays in the galaxy around it.

message 44: by Arrika (new)

Arrika Arrachne | 41 comments Nods. That's what I had guessed... But the ever enthusiastic hubby is such an optimist I try to not dispell the daydream until I see it with my own eyes. It's kinder that way.

He's been playing *my* eve character with such diligence it's disheartening to remind him it's not my kinda game over and over and over again....

(rift dimensions look promising though!)

message 45: by Lena (new)

Lena Horn (lenahorn) I'm surprised no one's mentioned ArcheAge. It's still in BETA, but it's a sandbox MMO with player created cities. You can build your own house and ships (and I think some kind of flying is available too).

Classes are created through a combination of skills, meaning there's 120 classes.

Also, there's a cat race.

I'm super excited about this game! Check out the kraken video :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLEq72...

http://cbt.archeage.com/en