Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Monthly Group Read Suggestions > 2013 Theme nominations

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (last edited Sep 23, 2012 06:38AM) (new)

Maggie K | 1166 comments Mod
2013 is coming!
Dang but this year flew by fast....
and we are in need of a slew of new ideas for themes for upcoming books...

Any ideas on what type of things you want to read?
It can be subgenres, like Space Opera. It can be types, such as dystopian or far future.
It can revolve around a certain science, such as androids or bio-tech
It can be books by a certain author, or books from a certain time frame.
or a first in a series...
or books off a list here on goodreads...

Imagination is key!
Respond with your ideas

message 2: by David (last edited Sep 26, 2012 05:56AM) (new)

David Merrill | 65 comments Philip K. Dick and Friends (would take a bit of research to get beyond the obvious James Blaylock, Tim Powers and K. W Jeter, but might be fun)

Anthropological Science Fiction (Like No Enemy But Time, The Falling Woman, Homonids)

Experimental novels (like Dhalgren, Stand On Zanzibar, The Sheep Look Up, I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of)

The roots of modern Steampunk (like Verne, Wells, Stevenson and the father of modern Steampunk James Blaylock)

message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon (FriedEgg) I don't know if you've done this before but how about the theme of having being in the SF Masterworks series?

SubterraneanCatalyst (TheLazyAbsentmindedReviewer) | 47 comments I'll toss out a few ideas..

-Female authors

-I really like the android topic, I'll gladly read anything with androids and AI

-Space Opera!

message 5: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 74 comments Don't know...

How about translated sf? (from other languages to English, of course)

Also, you can't go wrong with post-apocalyptic stories.

message 6: by Periklis (new)

Periklis (periklisbegzos) May I suggest Hardboiled SF as a theme?
Like the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy (Richard K. Morgan), K.W. Jeter's "Noir", Lethem's "Gun with Occasional Music", The Audran Sequence by George Alec Effinger, Carlucci (trilogy) by Richard Paul Russo and "The Arabesk Trilogy" by J.C. Grimwood.
From the suggestions made so far, I'd choose SF Masterworks.

message 7: by Ian J (new)

Ian J (ianjsimpson) How about 19th and 20th Century classics? Jules Verne, HG Wells, Clarke, stuff we haven't read for years and years?

message 8: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

some great ideas so far!
We have done SF Masterowrks, and Mistressworks...they are both great lists that we should look at again....(Hint:Dreamsnake) lol

and Periklis-do you mean Hardboiled as in Private detectives? good idea!

message 9: by Periklis (new)

Periklis (periklisbegzos) Maggie wrote: "some great ideas so far!
We have done SF Masterowrks, and Mistressworks...they are both great lists that we should look at again....(Hint:Dreamsnake) lol

and Periklis-do you mean Hardboiled as in ..."

Yes! Private Detectives, as in P.K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Glad there is a positive response so far.
I also like the idea of translated SF, but I can't think of many books (translated in English) out there.
I can think of a few Soviet authors (Lem, Strugatsky), but beyond that only this anthology: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72... .

message 10: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 74 comments Periklis wrote: "I also like the idea of translated SF, but I can't think of many books (translated in English) out there.
I can think of a few Soviet authors (Lem, Strugatsky), but beyond that only this anthology: "

Well, there's a bunch of foreign SF works translated. Besides the ones you mentioned there's obviously Jules Verne and also Karel Capek, Blindness by Saramago or We by Zamyatin.

Question is if there's interest about those books in the group.

You can check this list of European SF, a lot of what's on the list has been translated to english:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/18...

message 11: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happyendoftheworid) | 1234 comments Mod
we've done both Grand Masters and Space Horror, but i would love it if we could do both again in 2013. we've only cracked the surface of those two.

message 12: by David (new)

David Merrill | 65 comments I liked the SF in translation suggestion and it got me curious how much of it is out there. So I did a search and found Black Coat Press, a publisher that has translations from French to English:

http://www.blackcoatpress.com/#Scienc...

I noticed a lot of the translations are done by Brian Stableford. A lot of the e-books are only $5.99.

One of them, Chronolysis by Michael Jeury, I already have.

message 13: by Tyrone (last edited Sep 27, 2012 12:03AM) (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 9 comments Periklis wrote: "May I suggest Hardboiled SF as a theme?
Like the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy (Richard K. Morgan), K.W. Jeter's "Noir", Lethem's "Gun with Occasional Music", The Audran Sequence by George Alec Effinger, ..."

Really like this suggestion. There are some great books from this sub-genre to read from.

I also like the idea at taking a shot at a 19th/ early 20th century list as well.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Periklis wrote: "May I suggest Hardboiled SF as a theme?
Like the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy (Richard K. Morgan), K.W. Jeter's "Noir", Lethem's "Gun with Occasional Music", The Audran Sequence by George Alec Effinger, ..."

I really like this as well!

message 15: by Tony (new)

Tony Evans (TonyEvans) | 6 comments Isaac Asimov robot novels are good detective novels. Maybe The Naked Sun or The Robots of Dawn.

message 16: by E A M Harris (new)

E A M Harris    | 32 comments I think there must be a lot of books where the nature of alien wildlife is important. Brian Stableford did a few and other people may know of more.
I like the idea of SF detectives and also translations.

message 17: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happyendoftheworid) | 1234 comments Mod
thanks for all the great suggestions! i will be starting two threads later today for January 2013 nominations.

message 18: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (LindaJS) | 257 comments I'd like a theme that covers Wm Gibson and Neal Stephanson because I am very backed up on their books and it would push them up the reading list! Maybe Technology SF?

message 19: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

yeah! the cyberpunk stuff has some great reads