Science and Inquiry discussion

General > Positive, comforting Sci-Fi without religion/politics?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric F (new)

Eric F Knox | 7 comments I am so tiered of sci-fi with advanced science but superstitious/UN-evolved characters displaying the morals of Jerry Springer guests. I want to be inspired and comforted and maybe have a laugh. Where are the sci-fi stories that show the power and beauty of science? Where are the stories of good people doing good things? Please, help!

message 2: by Betsy, co-mod (last edited Sep 23, 2012 04:29PM) (new)

Betsy | 1703 comments Mod
I'll be interested in the responses to your complaint, too.

In the meantime, I have two recommendations for you, but they are both from the 70's and out of print. But I think there are used copies on Amazon. Also, they are not so much about positive science as about the good of people.

Hellspark is about first contact and what constitutes language and sentience. It's also a good murder mystery. I reread it nearly every year and it makes me feel good.

Way Station is about a man who essentially gives up his life for the universe, in a small but important way. Again, it's very heartwarming.

Have you looked at Existence? I haven't read it so I don't really know what it says about science, but I follow David Brin on Google+ and I get the impression it's basically a hopeful future he paints.

Also, have you tried the various SF groups here on Goodreads?

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Way Station is good. Also, I am a big fan of Arthur C. Clarke a lot of his stories are very science focused.

message 4: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 334 comments Here's a website devoted to optimistic SF:

http://shineanthology.wordpress.com/

message 5: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 334 comments Here's a thread at Sword & Laser on a similar topic. BTW, this is a great forum for SF and Fantasy fans.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 6: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 334 comments Here's a thread on Optimistic Science Fiction:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 7: by Eric F (new)

Eric F Knox | 7 comments Thank you, thank you all! Really good suggestions one and all!

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (slortiz) | 60 comments I really loved The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. Another good one is Eifelheim by Michael Flynn.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul | 2 comments Hi Eric F.

I stumbled onto your post while searching google for a similarly mythical beast (a sci-fi book without religious under/overtones).

In the unlikely event that you've neither read nor heard of it, I can offer you Dan Simmons' The Hyperion Cantos, a series of space-operatic books that positively put Christianity and a belief in life-after-death to the Las-gun (more so the latter 2 books).

Simmon's other epic sci-fest, 'Illium', and it's sequel 'Olympus', though choke-full of deities, is populated exclusively by Greek Gods, as well as robots, dinosaurs, spaceships and the cast of the Trojan war. If you can deal with that, you might enjoy it.

It's been a while, but I don't recall any of Arthur C Clarke's books being theistic or religious in any way, but then I've never been as anti-theistic as I currently am. I'm very sensitive to it now in a way I wasn't before.

'Spider-World' by Colin Wilson is an engaging adventure, possibly a little whimsical, but I'm nostalgic about the book. Again, I don't remember theism jarring the read.

Ray Bradbury was also a favourite of mine years ago, but I can't completely guarantee a hallelujah-free environment.

Sorry I can't recommend more; I've spent far too much time reading horror and dark fantasy, and didn't really appreciate sci-fi until fairly recently.

Now, I find it hard to read anything but non-fiction science, and while we're here can I hold out these books for you to read;

A Short History Of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson
(fascinating origins of all the sciences, and well-written)

The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins
(Fairly self-explanatory)

The Fabric Of The Cosmos, by Brian Greene
(mind-melting astro-physics and quantum mechanics, but as cool as cheese if you're into it)

That's about it really. Hang on tight to reality.

message 10: by Eric F (new)

Eric F Knox | 7 comments Wow such great recommendations everyone. I especially want to thank Paul for your ideas and sentiment.-Will definitely check out some of these!