Creative Reviews discussion

Author Resources > Harper Voyager accepting unsolicited submissions

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I found out that Harper Voyager is accepting unsolicited submissions in October. Here is the link to their webpage with all the info:

http://harpervoyagerbooks.com/harper-...

They've said:

"We’re seeking all kinds of adult and young adult speculative fiction for digital publication, but particularly epic fantasy, science fiction, urban fantasy, horror, dystopia and supernatural. For more idea of the type of books we love to read and publish, check out our authors and their titles at www.harpervoyagerbooks.com

"Submissions for digital originals will be open for a limited two-week period from 1st to the 14th of October, 2012."

Yes, they accept previously self-published work. It has to be full length, though - they want it to be at least 70,000 words. Hopefully some of you can submit.

Thanks, Mona

message 2: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Interesting. Will have a good read of the Ts&Cs first though, when they make them available. But then I'd not be sending them my main story, only the back-up one; too partial to my indie publishing!!
JAC

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Haven (Carolyn_Haven) | 2 comments Thanks for the info.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I write novellas, too, so I can't enter this either. My first novella was 26,000 words, so I can't even remotely apply. My second novella is shaping up to be 24,000 words. I don't think a book needs to be longer to be good, but I guess the publisher, like most, want a book to be a certain length. It's one of the reasons I self-publish.

Mona

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments Mona wrote: "I write novellas, too, so I can't enter this either. My first novella was 26,000 words, so I can't even remotely apply. My second novella is shaping up to be 24,000 words. I don't think a book need..."

I'm the same way right now. My book is a novella and stands at around 26,600 words. I just wrote and went with what I had it wasn't about the count and until I finished and counted it and then noticed alot of places only accept books well over 50,000 I was a bit down about it but hey your right write however much you want and for us both, I'm sure there is a publishing company out there that will accept our work.
Best of luck to you Mona,

message 6: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Well guys, the other thing is that once your novellas have a following, you can always stick them together in the paperback.

I'm writing a series of indeterminate length, which basically means the books end where there's a break in the story. In early 2011, accepted wisdom was that ebooks were going to be big for short stuff and paperback could cover the longer stories, so I broke the story at 45k words.

In retrospect this was a bit daft, as fantasy fans go for tomes the size of breeze blocks, not petite little slices of story, and the readers were quick to tell me so: So in order to fix it, bk2 was similar length and the first paperback comprised both of them. fixed! And future ones can be more tome-like according to demand.

I think you are entirely right not to pad or try to lengthen the story artificially as readers can always tell - but don't discount the paperback version, because that's just a matter of combining them till you get something the right length.

Besides, that's not new practice. Conan Doyle, anyone?!

< grin >
JAC