The Wire discussion

Is The Wire Racist?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Logan (new)

Logan | 4 comments Does anyone have an opinion on Ishmael Reed's accusations that The Wire is a racist television show?
http://goatmilk.wordpress.com/2008/03...

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffschneider) This is a bit interesting:

ALI: White writers writing about the Black experience is OK then? So, that wasn’t the problem?

REED: Of course not! He’s the one who is against White writers writing about the ghetto. Amy Alexander, who worked with Simon at The Baltimore Sun said that he got all pushed out because another White reporter was assigned to cover the ghetto. He feels it’s sort of like his gold mine where he has staked a claim and that all ghetto stories and humans are his property.

I’m not against White writers writing about Blacks as long as they are as objective as say James McPherson writing about an Irish American janitor in his brilliant short story “Gold Coast.” I use non-fiction work written by Whites in my research. It’s indispensable. That wasn’t the problem. I said that “The Wire” was a cliché! It’s like my writing a series about Jewish life and casting all of the characters as inside traders.

I wonder if he thinks Omar was a cliché. You know, the gay Robin Hood of the ghetto with a code.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (gonecountrygal) | 1 comments I love the character Omar. He adds a bit of comic relief to the show.