TV We've Just Watched discussion

British TV > BBCA Supernatural Saturday

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Sep 22, 2012 07:41PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I really should have started this topic years ago. Every Saturday for a good portion of the year, BBCAmerica has Supernatural/SF/F themes, usually in the 9pm Eastern time slot. Shows like Merlin and Doctor Who are traditionally in this time slot.

Starting October 6th, Bedlam premieres, Season Two: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1822448/. Season One started out good but it seemed to wane towards the end.
Also starting on October 6th, directly after Bedlam is Hex: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423668/. I saw Hex years ago when it originally aired on BBCA and it was really good. Hex is definitely worth watching.

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments A new drama set in the East End of London in 1889 during the aftermath of Jack The Ripper murders. The infamous H Division - the police precinct charged with keeping order in the district of Whitechapel- is in a chaotic state trying to keep order after a tumultuous time for London and reported infamously worldwide. Starring Matthew Macfadyen.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2183641/

Premieres on BBCAmerica, January 19th.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments A new drama, Orphan Black, is set to air on BBCA March 30th. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234222/

Orphan Black follows outsider, orphan and street-wise chameleon Sarah. After witnessing a woman's suicide, Sarah assumes the strangers identity - who happens to look just like her. Expecting to solve all her problems by cleaning out the dead woman's savings, Sarah is instead thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery as she realizes the dizzying truth - she and the dead woman are clones. As Sarah searches for answers, she discovers the chilling fact that there are more people like her out there - genetically identical individuals who were planted in unsuspecting birth parents and nurtured in completely different circumstances. With no idea who created the clones, she'll need to discover the reason in a hurry as an assassin is killing them one by one.

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Mar 31, 2013 09:09AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments So...Orphan Black was fantastic. The story and the writing is good, it's getting complicated quickly. Exactly the kind of show I like.

I'm watching The Nerdist, they have me laughing my ass off. Chris, Matt and Jonah are hilarious.

And of course DW premiere was great as usual.

I forgot to come in and post that Jack the Ripper was a Copper rip off without the hot guys. One episode and that's all I needed to know that it wasn't gonna work for me.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments I loved Whitechapel, each season got darker and creepier, and the lead's OCD was highly realistic with his deputy looking after him like a dad - sweet. During the third season I was checking for different places a murderer could hide inside my house, the answer was: too many!

message 6: by Jackie (last edited Mar 31, 2013 09:39PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Oops, I meant Jack the Ripper was awful. Whitechapel was good, I like the actors in that. I only watched the first season.
I'll go back and fix my mistake. Too many shows with similar themes and it's easy to write the wrong one. And my memory is not the best. I probably remember the name 'Whitechapel" because it was better. The crappy ones are easy to forget.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments LOVED Orphan Black and of course Dr. Who. I have to admit I was sad that walking dead was ending since it was going to be several months before I got to see Chris Hardwick and talking dead :) (not that I don't love Walking Dead!) So excited the Nerdist is back! I don't think I stopped laughing!

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I love that The Nerdist is now a regular show and not just podcasts and intermittent specials on BBCA.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments Agreed we all need a little more chris hardwick and gang in our lives :)

message 10: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I just saw preview for Orphan Black. Hubby and I are going to check it out.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments 4 episodes have already aired, you'll have to catch up on them first otherwise you'll be lost. It's very good, the story progresses fast. You can probably find those episodes On Demand.

message 12: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Thanks, Jackie. Did find it On Demand.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Let me know what you think of it when you watch them. I think it's one of the best new shows this year.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments I loved the first two episodes, and then haven't been able to catch up. I'm hopeing the kids go to bed early so I can have a Orphan a thon with the hubs as its really caught my interest! And she is GREAT

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments The actress is fantastic, playing all those roles, all those accents and different looks, she's amazing!

message 16: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Becky - LOL. We in the exact same boat.

message 17: by Holli (new)

Holli Orphan Black was renewed for another season

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments It deserves to be renewed, it's fantastic! TY, Holli, for the great news!

message 19: by Holli (new)

Holli The recently renewed BBC America thriller Orphan Black will continue to throw viewers curveballs and clones when the drama ventures to the ‘burbs this Saturday at 9/8c.

TVLine chatted with creator Graeme Manson and exec producers Ivan Schneeberg and David Fortier to find out if Sarah and Paul are developing real feelings for each other, whether more clones are on the way and much more.

TVLINE | What was the thinking behind the clone element? That’s a huge undertaking for a TV show.
GRAEME MANSON | I was really interested in it psychologically. We thought the nature-nurture question was really rich territory story-wise. For John [Fawcett], my partner [on] the director side, he was really excited by the visual challenges and the technical side of things, but also the fun of doppelgangers and switcheroos and that kind of thing that we like to do on the show.

TVLINE | When you have shows like this that are very mythology driven, there can be some hesitation or worry on the part of the audience about where it’s all going. Is there a show bible in place?
MANSON | We certainly had a season bible, and we have a big picture plan. We know where it’s going, and we have a lot of the answers. It’s just a matter of where those answers fall. They’re more like tentpoles along the way, and we have some big Season 2 [and] 3 ideas.

TVLINE | The execution of this show really hinges on your lead actress. David and Ivan, having worked with Tatiana [Maslany] on Being Erica, you obviously knew she had talent. But did you realize just how crazy talented she was?
IVAN SCHNEEBERG | The short answer is yes. … It’s immediately noticeable when you work with her that she’s an extremely talented actress. Frankly, very, very early on, we had a sense that she could be the right one to take on this role. And when she auditioned, that became clear to all of us.
DAVID FORTIER | Ironically, we were trying to think of things we could do with Being Erica because [it] had its own challenges in terms of keeping the stories fresh and trying to keep on building on the mythology. We had high hopes that if Being Erica was to continue, to make Tatiana a focal point of the series just because of how talented she was and what she brought to the show.
SCHNEEBERG | [To play these roles on Orphan Black] day after day, week after week, episode after episode, it’s one thing to pull it off, especially on a one-time basis, but to do it consistently it really is… There’s just an element of stamina that most people don’t have.

TVLINE | Do you have a favorite clone to write for?
MANSON | I’m a big Cosima fan. I like writing Alison, but I really, really love Cosima.

TVLINE | What’s in store for this Saturday’s episode?
MANSON | We spend a little more time with Alison, and we take Sarah to the suburbs, which is interesting. Obviously, some confluence of events from last week are continuing. All of the suspicions are continuing. It’s a really fun and very individual episode.

TVLINE | Paul and Sarah are really starting to grow on one another. How is their relationship going to evolve?
MANSON | Paul’s got some surprises up his sleeve, for sure, and Sarah’s been playing pretty fast and loose with Paul. But she’s probably denying a certain amount of attraction with Paul. And certainly, Paul has been knocked off kilter as he was falling back for Beth only to discover that it was Sarah. So he’s got a whole pack of worms on his hands with her and his emotions with her, as well as they’re under the eye, apparently, of a larger conspiracy.

TVLINE | So far, we’ve seen a lot of Alison becoming more of a character in her own right, and now it seems like Cosima’s stepping into the spotlight.
MANSON | We purposely teased it out. We didn’t want it to be really easy for them to form this super clone team and just go out and kick ass. We wanted it to take a while. They don’t trust each other. Sarah doesn’t trust anybody so she had to learn to trust them. As Sarah’s eyes open up, the audiences’ eyes open up on the other girls, as well, and we get to look into Cosima’s world. We do spend more time at the University of Minnesota and Cosima is as integral to the story, certainly, as Alison and Sarah.

TVLINE | We’ve met so many clones already. Are there more that you hope to introduce?
MANSON | There’s always the chance of another clone, but we’re very [cautious about] overdosing. It’s not a clone-of-the-week show. It’s a character drama. It’s a sci-fi character drama that happens to be populated by clones. They’re not cannon fodder. We don’t have a lot of red shirts — but maybe a few.

TVLINE | You brought up the idea of monitors watching them. How’s that going to influence the other clones’ storylines? We’ve seen Sarah’s monitor, Paul, but obviously there’s others…
MANSON | We’ll see who all has a monitor. The first thing they have to do is find that out, so I don’t want to go too far into that. But it’s an onion, and there’s layers to peel back. So whether or not they all have one, that’s certainly a first step into our mystery.

TVLINE | Random question: It’s great how Spice Girls and Cardigans songs are playing at Alison’s party in this week’s episode. Was that just a music supervisor having fun?
FORTIER | The idea was that this is the kind of music that she’d be listening to because that’s the kind of girl she is. The point is anytime we’ve got an opportunity to take advantage of that, we certainly always set aside money in the budget to do it when we can.
MANSON | And John sure loves the Alison character and loves the suburbs. He was adamant that we should get a op 40 [hit], and we should get some real cheese factor out of Alison’s taste. [Laughs]

message 20: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments I caught the first episode of Black Orphan on demand tonight. Loved it!! very intriguing !

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments It gets better with each episode. Best new series of the year.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments Jackie wrote: "It gets better with each episode. Best new series of the year."

I so agree! we needed a good new sy fy show that wasn't zombies, apocalypse, or vampires!

message 23: by Jackie (last edited May 08, 2013 03:11PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Have you tried Defiance on Syfy? Best thing they've done in years...but that isn't saying much, lol Defiance has big potential, only a few episodes in, but I'm hopeful.

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments I liked the first two episodes, and haven't been able to actually watch it since. Work is sucking the life out of my TV time :) thank god for on-demand I just need to get the kids out of the house and sit and watch tv for a couple of days :)

message 25: by Jackie (last edited May 09, 2013 09:32AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I recently went back to work and I agree 100% with your assessment: work is sucking the life out of my life!

message 26: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments Ok, watched all 6 episodes of Orphan Black. My new favorite show. The actress is amazing! She makes you believe they are totally different people.

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I know it! Their personalities are so different, she does such a great job with them.

message 28: by Jackie (last edited May 25, 2013 06:56PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments In The Flesh http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2480514/ premieres Thursday June 6th and runs for 3 days in a row, ending on Supernatural Saturday on BBCA.

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments The OB finale was tonight: fantastic finale! Oh so much going on, I love it. It's gonna be a long wait for it to come back next Spring. Tatiana Maslany is extremely talented. I love her!

message 30: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments Oh no!! It was the finale? I can't wait all week for OB to come on. LOVE that show and you are right, that actress is SO talented. I actually believe it's different people playing the parts. I haven't seen the finale yet because I have to wait for my daughter to watch it. What a bummer that it's over now

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments Jackie wrote: "In The Flesh http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2480514/ premieres Thursday June 6th and runs for 3 days in a row, ending on Supernatural Saturday on BBCA."

I watched this when it was on in the UK. The first 30-45 minutes are a little shaky, then BAM! They punch you in the heart. And then they squeeze it throughout the rest of the series. You think you see things coming, and you might be right, but it's just a distracti- BANG!

You might be able to tell, I kinda liked it. :D

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments A friend just told me that In The Flesh has been renewed for a second season.

I know Broadchurch is renewed also.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 69 comments I bet the second season of In The Flesh will follow a certain other character. That will be very interesting. Looking forward to it.

message 34: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Just finished first season of Orphan Black. We loved it!! But not back till spring 2014?!!

message 35: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Yep, that's the drawback with short series, a really long wait.

message 36: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments Foxy, I thought the same thing. such a long wait for OB!

message 37: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments Jackie..."in the flesh" were there only 3 shows? like a mini series? I really liked it and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything

message 38: by Jackie (last edited Jul 01, 2013 09:29AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Yes, only 3 episodes to In The Flesh, and that too is getting another season. Now that's a really long wait! I'm hoping the next season follows Amy, where she went, to that guy on the website.

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments did anyone else notice the are replaying Orphan Black on BBC america prior to season opener. I'm hopeing to actually catch all of it this time! oh, and it doesn't hurt that torchwood miracle day is right after :)

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I thought OB wasn't coming back for S2 til the Spring? It's an excellent show. Miracle Day, on the other hand, is the worst show of all time. If I could gouge the memories of it out of my brain, I'd grab a spoon right now. As usual, American screws up a spectacular Brit program. It wouldn't have been that bad except they completely destroyed the mythology behind Jack, that is unacceptable! If they're gonna take over a show, keep true to it, or make something else and call it something else.

message 41: by Jackie (last edited Oct 27, 2013 07:30PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Atlantis premieres November 23rd, same day as the DW 50th Anniversary Special.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_itzsx...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2705602/?...
Far from home, Jason washes up on the shores of the ancient and mysterious city of Atlantis.

message 42: by Karen B. (last edited Oct 28, 2013 07:42AM) (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I wasn't sure where to post this but Jackie or anyone do you know if there is a way to watch the BBCA shows (like a site online) that don't have parts omitted because of the advertisements? It drives me crazy.
I am anxiously awaiting the DW 50th anniversary special and am worried about it being chopped up. I have considered buying the DVD afterwards just so that I can get what I missed on my TV.

I am considering watching it at the movie theater that is within driving distance of me but really don't want to watch it alone if I do. If anyone is in South Jersey area who might be interested in being my "companion" let me know.

message 43: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments netflix carries a lot of the shows from bbc america including doctor who no fraggin commercials only $8.00 a month first month is free :)

so looking forward to atlantis dissapointed that the first season will only be 3 episodes :(

message 44: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I don't know where to watch online. I wind up buying the DVDs when they're released, and it's true that some scenes are missing from BBCA.

message 45: by Jackie (last edited Oct 28, 2013 09:32AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Atlantis is not 3 episodes, as of this past Saturday, 5 episodes have aired in the UK. I don't know how many episodes will be in the season but I do know that it's been renewed by BBC One for a second season.

message 46: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ (karlynp) | 73 comments Karen B wrote: "I wasn't sure where to post this but Jackie or anyone do you know if there is a way to watch the BBCA shows (like a site online) that don't have parts omitted because of the advertisements? It dri..."

Amazon and iTunes gets most shows within 24 hours of it airing live. You will have to buy it, usually $2-$3 for each episode.

message 47: by Jackie (last edited Oct 28, 2013 09:56AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Hulu plus has it. I don't like watching TV on the computer so I just buy DVDs of what I'm going to watch more than once. I've really gotten my money's worth with the DW DVDs. I can't remember how much they cost.

message 48: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments if you have a game consol i highly recomend the ps3 it plays blu ray, dvd's and 3d dvd's if you have a 3d tv that is. also you can get netflix, hulu and amazon instant video and watch it on your tv :)

message 49: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments No commercials for The Day of The Doctor:
BBC AmericaVerified account
‏@BBCAMERICA
PSA: We will be carrying the 11/23 #TheDayofTheDoctor worldwide simulcast on BBC America *commercial free*
https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status...

message 50: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments can't wait for season 8 rewatching on netflix waiting for season 7 to show up :)

« previous 1