The Readers discussion

Episode Discussions > Episode 43: The State of Our TBRs

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I've just listened to this episode and I have a terrible time with my TBR's on goodreads (I have two one of the books on my shelf and others I want to buy) but I have to stop adding books to my TBR that I ended up with over 600 there. I finally cut the list back to just over 100, a bit agressive but looking through the list I found that I've forgotten why I added them in the first place. Sure I got rid of books that would be good to read but because I read on a whim I don't want to plan my reading list in advance.

Also I think I suffer from this;

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments Me too Michael, all the 802 books on my to-read list here on Goodreads, are sadly(?) books that I already own and haven't read yet. Aaand I've got quite a few Danish books, that I haven't bothered adding here...

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky Yamarik | 74 comments Tsundoku! What a fantastic word!

I loved this podcast, it made me nostalgic for my past. My household has been on about a 3 year book buying ban. It happened sort of by accident, the tyranny of children. The toys take over, less room for books. . . we even bolted our main bookcase to the wall for fear it could fall over and crush a little one. Also, trying to save the 1/4 million dollars it costs to send a kid to university in the US, we figured not buying books would help. Plus we've also discovered that our Long Beach Library (city of 1/2 million near LA) has practically EVERY book on my TBR! It's pretty amazing that way. . . but I do feel guilty that I'm a "taker" of the book industry b/c I don't buy books and contribute. . .

I sort of felt assuaged slightly when I heard Ann of Books on the Nightstand interview Ian McEwan and he talked about how his parents never bought books and would take him to the library once/week and his Dad would get the 100th history of WW2 and he'd just wander around and pick what he liked. . . I don't know why that made me feel ok about my ban, but it did. . .

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky Yamarik | 74 comments On second thought, to say that we're on a book buying ban to save for college is to put the whole thing in an overly self-sacrificial light. . . we just don't buy books. . . b/c we're lame and cheap. . . full stop!

message 5: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i haven't listened to the episode, but i can say that my TBR list is out of control. i have made a concerted effort to look up books on the list at random for something to read next.

i typically get books from the library and look in the clearance section of half price books which offers overstocked books for $1. i often find great books in this section that are like new.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Gardner (nose_in_a_book) | 40 comments tsundoku...must remember that! My real-life TBR is giant (130+ books) plus I have 100+ on my Amazon wishlist and goodness knows how many starred reviews in my Google Reader because I like the sound of the book. I'm only reading a book a week at the moment. I think I may have a problem!

message 7: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 135 comments One of the 'drawbacks' on returning to full-time work is that I now have less time to read but more money to buy books!!

message 8: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 6 comments I frequently am overwhelmed by my TBR. When I joined Goodreads in 2007 I was looking for book recommendations as I had read all the books I owned and needed something new. Now I have an own-but-not-read shelf on here, currently showing 563 books. I still live at home with my parents and as such pretty much everything I own is in my bedroom. We have a pretty standard size house, and so my bedroom isn't very big. Meaning most of my storage space is taken up by books.

It's a disease...

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason | 29 comments At the rate I'm currently reading my TBR as it stands today would last me about 3.5 years. Of course at the rate I'm adding to my TBR, especially since subscribing to this podcast, I'm running just to stand still and actually standing still. A few years ago I read AJ Jacobs book The Know-it-All where he read the Encyclopaedia Britannica cover to cover in one year. I couldn't help thinking "a whole year and only one book read! How far behind has that put him with his TBR?"