Around the World discussion

Personal Lists 2011-2013 > Amanda's List

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Dec 10, 2012 11:32AM) (new)

Amanda Starting off with a mini armchair vacation of 15 books to finish the year and then reading a full 52 next year. (Finished books in italics.)
Since I'm unable to obtain The Pianist and The Piano Tuner by year's end, I will be going to Germany and North Korea instead. Kind of ends the year on a sour note, but I will be reading The Piano Tuner as part of next year's around the world challenge.
1. China: Mao's Last Dancer
2. Papua New Guinea: Lost in Shangri-la
3. Germany: Passenger to Frankfurt
4. Egypt: Death on the Nile
5. North Korea: So Far from the Bamboo Grove
6. Laos: The Coroner's Lunch
7. South AfricaKing Solomon's Mines
8. Ireland: Round Ireland with a Fridge
9. Somalia: Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War
10. Malawi: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope
11. Andorra: The Road to Andorra
12. Botswana: Cry of the Kalahari
13. Frech Guiana: Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love, and the Search for Home
14. India: Climbing the Mango Trees: A Memoir of a Childhood in India
15. Nepal: Touching My Father's Soul: A Sherpa's Journey to the Top of Everest

message 2: by Mikki (new)

Mikki You have some great reading ahead of you, Amanda! Are you going by story setting or origin of author?

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I see a theme... dancing, pianist, piano tuner. :)

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I'm mostly going by story setting--only using origin of author if I can't find a story interesting enough for a country.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Haha I hope it propels me to dance right through my list! Maybe it will even inspire me to tune the old piano and dig out some books.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda One down! Two more in the works.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Trail of Crumbs and Mao's Last Dancer are now finished! Yay!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Thanks! I'm having fun. :)

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda You sure do! He's becoming an avid reader and now that it's getting colder I wouldn't be surprised if he stowed away on a few of my upcoming literary journeys.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Haha I could see Spoticus Rex starting a society of that sort. I bet he'd be a big promoter of gardening, hunting, sewing and fishing books. I'm surprised he hasn't joined the DIY group yet...

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Trip 'round Ireland completed! Note to self: Lugging a kitchen appliance around earns free food and accommodation on the emerald isle. Bring microwave.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda A 7th book completed thanks to the December toppler! The book was too short to win any badges, but it was good enough for me to be able to color in another country!

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Home from my trip to Andorra! What a beautiful, charming country--and hilarious book!

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Yes, it was very good, although I don't think I ever want to eat sausage again...lol