Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
This topic is about Lord of Chaos
The Wheel of Time > LORD of CHAOS - Finished Reading **SPOILERS**

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I forgot to post this topic last week. I apologize for the delay.

Spoilers allowed for all previous books in the Wheel of Time series, including Lord of Chaos.

Alex | 104 comments I don't understand what the Aes Sedai were thinking. They admit they need him more than he needs them and both towers still to everything they possibly can to piss him off. I like the very end of the last chapter before the epilogue where he wrote it like a history lesson about how the Aes Sedai swore loyalty to Rand instead. And of course Moghedien escapes. What could possibly go wrong when you're keeping one of the forsaken in your camp even with a leash? At first I thought Aran'gar or where ever that ' goes was Lanfear since she's the only female that anything has happened to but that part with the saidin at the end screws up that idea. It's weird that the dark one would bring whichever one that is back as a girl. And Olver is adorable.

Even at 900 something pages I can't think of much that happened. Egwene became Amyrlin, Nynaeve heals Loghain/Suian/Leane, Rand's bonding, and the battle at the end. Looking at the page counts in the upcoming books at least they get a lot shorter.

Heidi | 71 comments Alex I agree that not much happened in this book!

I'm getting so tired of the Sammael/Illian storyline, it's been going on pretty much since the 3rd book. The author needs to wrap that one up already! I was also kind of disappointed that Nynaeve and Elayne did not find the ter'angreal in Ebou Dar... yet another loose end. I think this book is the one where the series starts going downhill.

Even so, I still had trouble putting this book down, especially in the last quarter of the book.

Evilynn | 68 comments I found the Sammael arc kinda draggy this re-read as well. I've always liked Lord of Chaos, but upon this reread I have to admit it's mostly because of the end.

message 5: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 38 comments For some reason I thought Rand was a prisoner for a lot longer book wise, as in it spanned novels and I waited a year and a half or so to find out what happened. Seemed much less dramatic this go round.

While I agree with you Alex that not much happened, the battle to free Rand is actually the last thing I remember happening... As in there's not much that comes to memory from any of the next four books. (I would say absolutely nothing but I do remember that the Daughter of the Nine Moons is finally revealed at some point and another member of the Black Ajah is unveiled.)

Sadly I think Heidi is correct and this is the beginning of a long slog. But from what I've heard Sanderson makes it worth reading again so just have to get through the next several months and it'll be all good!

Evilynn | 68 comments Rob wrote: "Sadly I think Heidi is correct and this is the beginning of a long slog. But from what I've heard Sanderson makes it worth reading again so just have to get through the next several months and it'll be all good! "

Well, book #7 and #8 weren't as horribly draggy as I remembered from the first time I read them (they're short WOT-books, if nothing else ;)), but I think in part it's because I didn't re-read the entire series before reading them (something which I'd done up to, and including, Lord of Chaos). I'm almost done with book #10 (Crossroads of Twilight) and that is the real dud of the series. IIRC even Jordan himself admitted that didn't turn out particularly well. If memory serves the last Jordan book picked up the pace again, and while I haven't read the Sanderson books, I've also heard his did the same.

message 7: by Jon (last edited Oct 07, 2012 05:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I just finished Lord of Chaos last night. I found myself skimming, something I swore to myself that I wouldn't do on this re-read.

After wallowing along for hundreds of pages not getting anywhere, the rush to the end and the rescue seemed too convenient and a bit confusing. I guess I need to re-read that last chapter because I'm still not sure how Taim 1) found out Rand was kidnapped and 2) found someone who knew the terrain around Dumai's Wells well enough to Travel there.

(view spoiler)

Evilynn | 68 comments I think you only need to know where you're travelling from really well, not where you're travelling to? Which makes my sense of logic twitch like crazy, but that is how Jordan describes it in the beginning at least. (In book 11 he writes you need to know the destination well, but that's not really how it was described earlier on).

message 9: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathi | 408 comments Mod
Alex wrote: "At first I thought Aran'gar or where ever that ' goes was Lanfear since she's the only female that anything has happened to but that part with the saidin at the end screws up that idea. It's weird that the dark one would bring whichever one that is back as a girl."
I recall Shaidar Haran saying something about these bodies (for Aran'gar and Osan'gar) being the "best available at the time" and I assumed in the Prologue that the Forsaken inhabiting the body of Aran'gar was female, but apparently not.
I'm wondering where Galina went during the battle, and if she is either a Forsaken in disguise or a Black Ajah.
Overall I found this book to be too disjointed, too many minor characters (as well as the myriad major ones), and a general feeling of not knowing which events or scenes are critically important and which are less so.
And when did Perrin reconnect with the wolves? I thought he had tried in the past to sense them and got nothing. Now suddenly there are all kinds of them. And I may be even denser than I think but I am as confused as Perrin about what's going on with Faile.
And the Sea Folk, hanging around in Caemlyn and Cairhien...what's up with that? Obviously they will have a role to,play, but in this book they were superfluous.
Taking a break before I come back to the Wheel, even though I'm about 2 books behind and losing ground.

Pedro António | 9 comments It's funny that most people seem to think not that much happened in Lord of Chaos. I for one felt that a lot more happened than in previous books and didn't at all feel cheated for what I got taking into account the book's length.

I'd probably go as far as to say it was my favourite book in the series thus far. For once we didn't have an incredibly slow start and the ending had me flipping pages as if there was no tomorrow. Faile was probably the only character that really got on my nerves, but thankfully she wasn't around long enough to ruin it for me.

Overall I'm really happy with the way the series is going and can't wait to grab The Path of Daggers! You can check my full review for Lord of Chaos by clicking here.

message 11: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Pedro wrote: "It's funny that most people seem to think not that much happened in Lord of Chaos. I for one felt that a lot more happened than in previous books and didn't at all feel cheated for what I got takin..."

Excellent review, Pedro. And upon this most recent re-read, I must agree with you. Definitely quite a bit going on in this novel.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the next one ... The Path of Daggers.

message 12: by Pedro (last edited Nov 29, 2012 11:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pedro António | 9 comments Jon wrote:xcellent review, Pedro. And upon this most recent re-read, I must agree with you. Definitely quite a bit going on in this novel.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the next one ... The Path of Daggers.

Thank you Jon! I quite like reviewing all the books I read even if just to keep my English in check (I swear to god it gets worse by the day!).

I'll probably start The Path of Daggers in a couple of days, really excited about it if it's anything like Lord of Chaos.

Heidi | 71 comments Pedro, you might want to read Crown of Swords first before jumping into Path of Daggers, otherwise you will have some pretty big holes in the story!

Pedro António | 9 comments Whoops, got the name wrong :) I meant A Crown of Swords!

Helen | 767 comments Finished a few days ago. I enjoyed it although definitely felt like I was slogging at points. Braids, Two Rivers woollens etc! I'd forgotten the strange Forsaken that were given different bodies, thanks for the reminder. I've still got three books to read this month not counting WOT, but will catch up!

Raivo Verk | 17 comments This books ending is one of the favorite scenes in the whole series for me, when Taim goes to the rescue.

Love it when Rand finally gets out of the box, meets up with Taim and tells him to show what hes been doing with his men, and what follows after.

message 17: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 18, 2013 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie Doiron (stephaniedoiron) Alex wrote: "I like the very end of the last chapter before the epilogue where he wrote it like a history lesson about how the Aes Sedai swore loyalty to Rand instead."

I agree with Alex, I got excited when I read the last page of the book. I felt like it was a historical moment in the WOT series.

P.982: "On a day of fire and blood, a tattered banner waved above Dumai's Wells, bearing the ancient symbol of Aes Sedai. On a day of fire and blood and the One Power, as prophecy had suggested, the unstained tower, broken, bent knee to the forgotten sign. The first nine Aes Sedai swore fealty to the Dragon Reborn, and the world was changed forever."

Another great moment in the book for me was when Nynaeve healed Logain's stilling. The fact that this was something they were unable to do even in the Age of Legends gives us a glimpse of the immensity of the girls' strength in the One Power. I also enjoy Rand's hatred for Taim.