Urban Fantasy discussion

Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1)
This topic is about Unclean Spirits
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Group Read - October (Unclean Spirits)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
What should we read in October? Post your suggestions below, and next week, we can vote on a title. Suggest whatever UF title you think would make a great group read!

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 208 comments I nominate Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1) by M.L.N. Hanover . I've heard good things about this series recently.

message 3: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole (sharearead) | 1 comments Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #1) by H.D. Gordon

there is a new one coming out this month two! I can't wait!!!

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments I nominate Blade Song (Colbana Files, #1) by J.C. Daniels I've actually just finished it, but since I really want to nominate the next one and it isn't out yet, I'm suggesting this one. It rocks.

message 5: by Treece (last edited Sep 22, 2012 03:11PM) (new)

Treece (sapphire_roses) | 3 comments I nominate Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5) by Nalini Singh . The only issue would be for anyone that has not read series thus far.

Terrific nominations, everyone! Keep them coming :) I'll take suggestions until 9/25 and then I'll put up a poll, so we can pick the winner.

message 7: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin I know this is an old one, but I keep meaning to readit (since her books are considered to be some of the first UF)
War for the Oaks by Emma Bull

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 208 comments Gin wrote: "I know this is an old one, but I keep meaning to readit (since her books are considered to be some of the first UF)
War for the Oaks by Emma Bull"

I've never heard of that one, but it looks good.

message 9: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin Supposedly, it was written before UF so is considered one of the first books of the genre

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Gin wrote: "Supposedly, it was written before UF so is considered one of the first books of the genre"
That's not really even an early one. Mercedes Lackey wrote the Diana Tregarde series (Very early UF before it was called that. ) Holly Lisle had a couple that could easily be called that and I think even further back...what was his name. Something about a unicorn. Argh. Can't think of it. I read it, but I didn't like it a lot. It was about a detective who kind of fell into this alternate reality in NY and had to solve a crime. Can't think of the author's name. That said, the Emma Bull may be one of the first from TOR. I've read something else by her...Territory? I think that was it.

message 11: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin Oh I know there are tons more, for some reason that one just seems to have a lot of notoriety.

How is the Diana Tregarde series? I've always wanted to read that one, also.

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Gin wrote: "Oh I know there are tons more, for some reason that one just seems to have a lot of notoriety.

How is the Diana Tregarde series? I've always wanted to read that one, also."

I REALLY loved them. I've heard others say that they didn't like the last one (there were three so far as I know) but I would have happily kept reading more. Lackey and Lisle were probably some of the first authors I read who had kick-ass heroines. Really fun reads. There was another one...Ellen Guon. Really great series with elves, only they appear normal. Lot of fun.

message 13: by Olive (new)

Olive (odd1in) | 3 comments Can I suggest Monster Hunter International? I really enjoyed it and have read it many times since.

message 14: by Olive (new)

Olive (odd1in) | 3 comments Or Child of Fire by Harry Connelly

message 15: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin @Maria I'll have to read it then

message 16: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Wren (wren_doloro) | 1 comments I second!

Maria wrote: "I nominate Blade Song (Colbana Files, #1) by J.C. Daniels I've actually just finished it, but since I really want to nominate the next one and it isn't out yet, I'm suggesting this one. It rocks."

message 17: by Marie (new)

Marie Loughin (marieloughin) | 25 comments Gin wrote: "I know this is an old one, but I keep meaning to readit (since her books are considered to be some of the first UF)

War of the Oaks is supposed to be good. I've always meant to read it. It seems to be barely in print, though. Amazon just has a $12.27 paperback.

message 18: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Marie wrote: "Gin wrote: "I know this is an old one, but I keep meaning to readit (since her books are considered to be some of the first UF)

War of the Oaks is supposed to b..."
A lot of books are going to trade paperback now instead of mass market so they can cost more and are the larger size. I am certain the one I suggested (blade song) is in 9 by 7 trade. I *think* the paperback was 9.99. I bought the ebook which was 4.99.

Okay, the poll is up! Come vote on your favorite read!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.