Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

THE LIBRARY > MG,Tween Series for girls

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Deal | 4 comments I recommend the wonderful Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer. Enola is resourceful and earnest and feels, to the reader, like a true friend. They're some of my most cherished books.

message 2: by Lea (last edited Feb 12, 2013 01:13PM) (new)

Lea Carter (klcislc) | 34 comments I recently completed books 1&2 of the Silver Sagas series, following Princess Rebecca's journey from theory to practice as a member of the royal Silver Fairy family. She's the fairy equivalent of 27 years old, but they're clean reads.
Plot synopses and links to the Amazon listings for Silver Princess and Silver Majesty can be found on my website: https://sites.google.com/site/leasboo...

message 3: by Shonica (new)

Shonica (scrapcat) I love the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter. The girls are smart and sassy but it is also a clean read. My daughter loves the Tales of the Frog Princess series by E.D. Baker.
I also love, love, love the Casson family series by Hilary McKay. The Casson's are a quirky British family and a ton of fun.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (RDouglass) | 1508 comments Mod
I love Tamora Pierce for giving girls what I didn't have as a kid: female warriors in a fantasy series. But be warned that matters do sometimes get a little mature, as the girls grow up.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Marestaing | 13 comments My daughters have always liked the Wendy Mass books...Every Soul a Star, Eleven etc.

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy Blesy (marcyblesy) | 22 comments I like Meg Cabot books, "Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls." I also recently released a middle grade book called "Confessions of a Corn Kid" about a small town girl with big city acting dreams and a whole lot of trouble in her way. http://amzn.to/XCofUt Just at thought. ;-)

message 7: by Anastacia (new)

Anastacia Hawkins (AnastaciaWrites) My daughter loved the Avalon: Web of Magic series by Rachel Roberts. I, too, am an author for 'tween girls. My book, Larkspur, is a fantasy adventure with strong female characters, and is a clean read. Return to Larkspur will be available soon.Larkspur

She also enjoyed The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter.

Jenifer, your Betsy Butters Books sound intriguing!

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

I'll vote for any by Tamora Pierce. Strong girls who aren't thinking about romance all the time (though they do think about it).

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Oops. Should have looked at the whole thread--I already posted this!

message 10: by E.S. (new)

E.S. Ivy (ESIvy) | 133 comments I've just started a series for tween girls about a girl who finds out she's a mermaid princess, Miri Attwater and the Ocean's Secret. Miri Attwater and the Ocean's Secret (Miri Attwater, #1) by E.S. Ivy

The Frog Princess and Gallagher Girls are both great, and there are some other good suggestions.

I'll be sending my daughters to this comment thread to see if they can find some new books. :)

message 12: by J.Y. (last edited Apr 02, 2013 04:54PM) (new)

J.Y. | 17 comments I may have posted this elsewhere, but when it comes to this topic, I feel I can't say it often enough. For tween girls (any girl over the age of 9 or 10), I highly and enthusiastically suggest Louisa May Alcott's EIGHT COUSINS. I know Little Women gets all the press, but I think this book is wonderful. It's full of fun and adventure (and, oddly, healthy eating advice). I wish every girl had a wise Uncle Alec! :-P

message 13: by Roberto (new)

Roberto Penas | 4 comments My daughter went through the multiple series of Warrior Cats (yes, there are more than one) throughout her tween years of 12-13. I could not get into them but I heard that the clans mirror their "social dynamics" of "frenemy" relationships.... so I've heard,

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Not quite sure I'd put it that way, Roberto, though I can kind of see where that's coming from. Cool thing about the series--it has equal appeal to boys, at least at our house, and may in fact be the only books that my guys read that really are about relationships. I guess making the characters cats instead of people made it work for them.

Dena (Batch of Books) (batchofbooks) | 5 comments Lisa wrote: "I recommend the wonderful Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer. Enola is resourceful and earnest and feels, to the reader, like a true friend. They're some of my most cherished books."

I just read the first Enola Holmes book. I loved it! It was such a smart story.

message 16: by Roberto (last edited May 12, 2013 07:46PM) (new)

Roberto Penas | 4 comments Sorry for delayed reply. That's interesting though Rebecca to hear about your boys, are they both avid readers? Another tween book for girls I finished recently (just posted a review) was The Apothecary by Maile Maloy. The main character,Janie, is 14 but it is pitched as MG instead of YA and I concur. The two secondary characters, Benjamin and Pip (esp. Pip) are some of the coolest I've read, your boys might like them.

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

My guys are sporadic readers, though very fluent when they do. Warriors were a few years ago--they are 14 and 15 now, and more into SF, though the older one still follows additions to the Warriors series for nostalgia's sake :)

message 18: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 842 comments Dorine wrote: "Hi all, today is the release day for my debut middle grade fantasy book, Cleopatra's Legacy- The Emerald Ring. It is the first in a series that girls will love."

Best of luck with your new book Dorine.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Rebecca wrote: "The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy and two sequels"

Yessssss! I love the Penderwicks, best series for girls ever!

message 20: by Tanya (last edited May 25, 2013 11:25PM) (new)

Tanya Davies | 2 comments Hi all,
Thanks for starting this thread! Sounds like there are some exciting new stories on here. My daughter is seventeen now but I have a book self-published on Amazon called 'Sarah's Song'. It follows a shy, sensitive girl who has dreams of making music. She navigates her way through starting a band with her best friend Lonnie while dealing with the complications of her mum leaving and her older sister returning to her life. Her hard work leads to an unforgettable friendship with her idol, pop singer Magdalene. I'd love to attract reads/reviews - so would be happy to organise a free copy!
thanks
tanya
http://www.amazon.com/Sarahs-Song-ebo...

message 21: by Anastacia (new)

Anastacia Hawkins (AnastaciaWrites) Hi Tanya,

I review tween reads and would be happy to read and review Sarah's Song. Unfortunately, I do not enjoy reading on my computer or tablet, and have found that it takes me much longer to complete a book this way. If you can send me a paperback that would be great! You can see my reviews at
http://anastaciawrites.tumblr.com/boo...

message 22: by Dorine (new)

Dorine White | 6 comments Thanks!
Jemima wrote: "Good luck, Dorine :)"

Dorine wrote: "Hi all, today is the release day for my debut middle grade fantasy book, Cleopatra's Legacy- The Emerald Ring. It is the first in a series that girls will love."

message 23: by Dorine (new)

Dorine White | 6 comments Thank you:)

S.W. wrote: "Dorine wrote: "Hi all, today is the release day for my debut middle grade fantasy book, Cleopatra's Legacy- The Emerald Ring. It is the first in a series that girls will love."

Best of luck with y..."

message 24: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 36 comments I recommend the Cheer USA books, but if you can't find them (or you hate them--I haven't read them), try Ramona Quimby.

message 25: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (MGKing) | 727 comments I've noticed that Ramona keeps showing up as a favorite on lots of discussions in our forum!

I also have friends with daughters who keep mentioning the American Girl historical fiction series, although I haven't read any personally. Anyone here have a more informed opinion?

message 26: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 36 comments American Girl books have what look like doll order-forms in the back, but if you don't mind that, then they're nice reads. :)

message 27: by Jacci (new)

Jacci (Jaccit) | 59 comments Hey Friends, great news! Today is the book launch of my new middle-grade fiction, Bending Willow. It is a wonderful adventure for kids age 8 and up. Recently it was awarded the honor of representing Nevada at the National book festival by Library of Congress representatives!
Can you help me by: 1. Buying the book to read 2. Buying the book for a child you love 3. Buying the book to donate to a library or elementary/middle school 4. Sharing the news with your friends through email, Facebook and Twitter. I'm hoping to get it up in Amazon's top 100 like we did with The Cage!
Here is the link to the book: http://goo.gl/cPgZk and here's it's new website: http://bendingwillow.jacciturner.com/
Thank you for your love and help. Jacci

message 28: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer Rubloff | 1 comments New clean teen read is out: Key to It All, (Betsy Butters Book, #3).
Key to It All (Betsy Butters Book, #3) by Jenifer RubloffKey to It All

message 29: by E.S. (new)

E.S. Ivy (ESIvy) | 133 comments M.G. wrote: "I also have friends with daughters who keep mentioning the American Girl historical fiction series, al..."

The first chapter book my youngest daughter ever read is the one that came with her American Girl doll. I've read a few and I think they're well written with nice plots. The historical companions that go along with them are neat too.

(And the dolls - which I considered thoroughly before buying - turned out to be both my daughters' longest loved toys. The 13-year-old sews doll clothes for her. And the books on friendship are excellent to. And no, I'm not associated with the company :) !)

message 30: by Lea (last edited Jul 18, 2013 05:06AM) (new)

Lea Carter (klcislc) | 34 comments Start your visit to Fairydom with the first two stories free! It's an unusual flight of fantasy, for Rebecca's an ordinary girl - with wings and a crown. ;-) Encounter rebels, pirates, and masked balls as the fairy Princess Rebecca's life goes/grows from theory to practical application!

And best of all, the free promotional days start today! Silver Princess (eBook 1) will be free from today until July 21st. Then, Silver Majesty (eBook 2) will be available from July 20-23 for free. Find links at www.amazon.com/author/leacarter.

Silver Verity (eBook 3) launches on July 24th, so the story is definitely continuing. :-) If you enjoy the books, feel free to let me know! Either way, honest reviews are greatly appreciated!

message 31: by Renata (new)

Renata Suerth (Renata_Suerth) | 9 comments Hi, I'm the author of THE WIG series (THE WIG:Crazy Summer and THE WIG:New School & Other Stuff). Book 2 will be available in paperback next week.
The series follows the (mis)adventures of 10-yr-old Queen of Lousy Luck named Sofie.
In the 1st book, Sofie finds out that she has to move in with her grandma, not her favorite grandma, her other grandma.
In the 2nd book, Sofie starts 5th grade in a new school. A middle school teacher who reviewed my books said,"Every school should have these books...All of my middle school emotions came back to me as I read the funny gym class and lunch room stories! It's head on with what kids are dealing with."
The books touch upon serious subjects with humor.New School & Other Stuff

message 32: by Lily (new)

Lily Carwyn (sweetattraction) | 3 comments We just launched the 18th title in the LadyStar series. We have 12 fiction e-books and six comic titles.

It's the story of the Greatest Fighting Team of Teenage Girls Ever Assembled! Middle grade fantasy adventure with themes of heroism, courage and friendship.

LadyStar Series

message 33: by Renata (new)

Renata Suerth (Renata_Suerth) | 9 comments Well, I can't recommend my own series here. So I won't. :)
But there's a chapter on lice, YouTube, Halloween, Thanksgiving, gym class, lunch period, a crazy wedding, and 12 more entertaining chapters.

message 34: by Teddy (new)

Teddy | 7 comments "The Mother-Daughter Book Club" is a really good book series for tweens

message 35: by Lea (new)

Lea Carter (klcislc) | 34 comments I've never read an L.M. Montgomery that I regretted. Some are better than others (a given) but they were all readable by a general audience and most featured tween or older protagonists.

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy Holiday (amyhaha) | 2 comments Aw, I LOVED Betsy-Tacy. So sweet, brings back great memories.

If we're talking about old books, love the Melendys by Elizabeth Enright. My first taste of adventure stories. The Saturdays, The Four Story Mistake, Then There Were Five, and I think there's one more.

For new books, right now I'm reading the first book in the Liberty Porter series and she's adorable. A bit younger Middle Grade though, she's only 9.