Completists' Club discussion

João Guimarães Rosa
This topic is about João Guimarães Rosa
Authors E-H > João Guimarães Rosa

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rise (last edited Sep 22, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

Rise The Brazilian novelist had been compared to Joyce for his linguistic innovation. Unfortunately Guimarães Rosa's few books in English are mostly out of print. More of his novellas and stories, as well as poems, await translation.

FICTION
Sagarana: A Cycle of Stories, 1946 (trans. Harriet de Onís, 1966)
The Devil to Pay in the Backlands, 1956 (trans. James L. Taylor and Harriet de Onís, 1963)
The Third Bank of the River and Other Stories, 1962 (trans. Barbara Shelby, 1968)
The Jaguar and Other Stories, 2001 (trans. David Treece)

IN SELECTED ANTHOLOGIES
The Borzoi Anthology of Latin American Literature, Volume II, 1977 (ed. Emir Rodríguez Monegal) – contains a "chunk" of Grande Sertão: Veredas, trans. Thomas Colchie
Oxford Anthology of the Brazilian Short Story, 2006 (ed. K. David Jackson) – contains 7 stories by Guimarães Rosa
Masterworks of Latin American Short Fiction: Eight Novellas, 1996 (ed. Cass Canfield Jr.) – contains "My Uncle, the Jaguar", trans. Giovanni Pontiero

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments I own the last anthology listed, I'll have to dig it out from wherever it is. I'd like to read something by him, I don't think I have yet.

message 3: by Rise (new)

Rise The "Jaguar" story there will be a good intro to this writer. It's a long, obsessive monologue. The anthology itself is a great mix of writers - Felisberto Hernandez, Cortazar, Alvaro Mutis ...