Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > September 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by John, Moderator (last edited Sep 22, 2012 10:33AM) (new)

John | 3680 comments As a new season begins, I'm halfway through last year's Agatha Raisin offering As The Pig Turns, usual Agatha plotting, though the murder I found gruesomely disturbing. New book just came out the other day, so I dragged this one out from the depths of my backlog.

Also listening to a nonfiction book, Civilization: The West and the Rest, which if I had a "do over" I'd have dropped an Audible credit on something else. It's not dry/boring enough to bail (much less return), but I keep looking at the time elapsed counter, muttering "Are we there yet!" like a kid on a road trip.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaspeechpath) | 14 comments I just finished Ready Player One (work commute book) and really liked it. Of course, I grew up in the 80's so most of the references were a trip down memory lane.

I am about half-way through Darkfever on my ipod...I love it but having issues being able to find time to listen to it (schedule, dark coming early and weather issues-I listen to it when I walk).

I just ordered The Pillars of the Earth (for my work commute) as I had planned to finish Darkfever via ipod link in my car...but for some reason it won't play the book in intelligible words :(

message 3: by D.G. (new)

D.G. OMG! It's autumn already?

I'm almost done with Shoot to Thrill (Monkeewrench, #5) by P.J. Tracy . For some reason, I don't want to finish this book even though I love the series.

message 4: by Kim N (last edited Sep 22, 2012 02:30PM) (new)

Kim N (crossreactivity) I just finished Academ's Fury. Very different from The Dresden Files, but I'm really enjoying this fantasy series by Jim Butcher!

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments Lisa wrote: "I just finished Ready Player One (work commute book) and really liked it. Of course, I grew up in the 80's so most of the references were a trip down memory lane.

I am about half-way through Dar..."

Really liked Ready Player One and Dark Fever. Mac really grows on you because she was quite annoying at first.

message 6: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 224 comments I'm listening to Duchess in Love, the narration is okay. I think this is the woman who did the video walkthru at Audible.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 81 comments Seeing the title of the thread throws me, as it's spring and not autumn where I am!

I've just finished listening to Seth Rudetsky (and a range of Broadway performers) narrate Broadway Nights: A Romp of Life, Love, and Musical Theatre, which was an entertaining (if arguably too long) piece of fluff. I'm now listening to Steinbeck's East of Eden: the very opposite of a piece of fluff. The narration is excellent.

message 8: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3680 comments Kim -- I realized when I these were set up as quarterly items, but almost all of us live Up North!

message 9: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments Audible has had so many sales recently that I've been stocking up and organizing . . . hopefully I'll get to listen to a few in between the other 3 books I'm reading for 3 different discussions over the next months.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 81 comments John wrote: ".... almost all of us live Up North!"

Oh, yes, I understand that's the case and I can do season conversions easily enough when I put my mind to it. ;)

Just a suggestion, though, would you consider expressing the quarterly items in future in terms of months (eg. September-November 2012), rather than seasons, so that both hemispheres could be covered? If not, it's no biggie.

message 11: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3680 comments Our interchange has got me thinking that perhaps Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4 might be preferable. I'm all for monthly threads myself, but have a dim recollection that wasn't popular?

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 81 comments I'm probably being dim, John, but I'm not sure what "Q" stands for. As for monthly threads, that would be fine with me, but I can understand why the idea might not be popular. It would create lots and lots of threads, which could be difficult to keep up with.

message 13: by Shell (new)

Shell Listening to Lover Eternal. The narrator reminds me of a news anchor, but sad to say I am enjoying him.

message 14: by John, Moderator (last edited Sep 22, 2012 06:11PM) (new)

John | 3680 comments Q1 etc are business terms meaning first quarter, etc. If there were to be monthly threads, they'd probably start in December; strictly quarterly (rather than vague seasonal) ones in January. It'll be one or the other.

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 81 comments John wrote: "Q1 etc are business terms meaning first quarter, etc. "

Ah, no wonder I didn't understand. Speaking for myself, I'd probably find that more confusing than Northern Hemisphere seasons! But I'm fine with whatever the group wants.

message 16: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2001 comments Started Blue Asylum Kathy Hepinstall narrated by,Kate Forbes

message 17: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1164 comments I can't believe summer is already over....... where did it go? Why not simply: Jan-Mar / April-June / July-Sept and Oct-Dec! Everybody would understand that.

message 18: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3649 comments While those of us here for the discussion would understand Q1, Q2, etc., newcomers just looking at the thread titles might find it less than informative and pass it by, not understanding its meaning. I kinda like the month names included in the title rather than seasons, to be more inclusive of our friends down under, but I'm flexible enough to go with whatever everyone else likes.

message 19: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3649 comments I finished "Locked Rooms" of the Russell/Holmes series and really liked it. Each book in the series just seems to get better than the last. Including Dashel Hammet in the story was fun.

I also finished a full cast production of "Faust". The narration was excellent, the story itself not exactly my favorite story ever. But at least now I can say I've read it--not that anyone has ever asked me, nor will I go around shouting about it.

I also finished "Beowulf", which I picked up in the recent BOGO sale. Really good and clear narration--I wish I'd had this version when I read it in high school English Lit!

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 81 comments Jeanie wrote: "I finished "Locked Rooms" of the Russell/Holmes series and really liked it. Each book in the series just seems to get better than the last. Including Dashel Hammet in the story was fun...."

I agree, Jeanie. I read "Locked Rooms" a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

message 21: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T | 0 comments Over the past the week I have finished: River's End by Nora Roberts. This was another good Nora Roberts book. I gave this book 4 stars!
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. This was an awesome mystery book. I gave this book 5 stars!
Mapping the Edge by Sarah Dunant. I liked this book, but didn't love it. I gave this book 3 stars!

I am now starting The Last Victim by Karen Robards

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1582 comments finished up Borkmann's Point - loved Simon Vance's narration; about 3/4 of the way done with Timeless (going to miss this series since it is the last one) on my drive to and from virginia tech for the football game this weekend

...next up is Only One Life

message 23: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3649 comments I started and finished "The Sittaford Mystery" by Agatha Christie and narrated by Hugh Fraser. Fraser is my favorite Christie narrator. Oddly, I like him even more than David Suchet who played Poirot in the many TV episodes and he is my favorite Poirot. If you can believe it, my complaint about Suchet is that his Poirot isn't consistent!

message 24: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3649 comments Audible let me return my version of "Can You Forgive Her?" bought long over a year ago in order to then buy it again with Simon Vance as the narrator. The rest of the Palliser novels only recently became available with his narration and I didn't want that odd man out. Audible was really good about letting me do it, even though I had bought it so long ago. Thanks Audible.

Now, I'm hoping I can exchange some of my Agatha Christie books that were previously only available with a different narrator but now are available with Hugh Fraser.

message 25: by Kim N (new)

Kim N (crossreactivity) Jeanie wrote: "Now, I'm hoping I can exchange some of my Agatha Christie books that were previously only available with a different narrator but now are available with Hugh Fraser."

I did just that - exchanged a couple of Agatha Christie books read by John Moffat for Hugh Fraser and couldn't be happier.

message 26: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3649 comments ♪ Kim wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "Now, I'm hoping I can exchange some of my Agatha Christie books that were previously only available with a different narrator but now are available with Hugh Fraser."

I did just tha..."

Oh boy! Those are exactly the same ones I want to exchange. Audible here I come XD

message 27: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3680 comments Jeanie wrote: "Audible let me return my version of "Can You Forgive Her?" bought long over a year ago in order to then buy it again with Simon Vance as the narrator. The rest of the Palliser novels only recently..."

Funny you should mention The Pallisers ... I'm not that interested in the series, but a friend recommended The Eustace Diamonds, so I was thrilled to see there was an edition read by Timothy West (still on my TBR pile for when I'm up for a long classic).

message 28: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 109 comments John wrote: "Q1 etc are business terms meaning first quarter, etc. If there were to be monthly threads, they'd probably start in December; strictly quarterly (rather than vague seasonal) ones in January. It'll ..."

Another suggestion is to rename this thread "September 2012" and start an October thread or a Oct-Dec thread? It mucks up the order of things but then you don't have to wait until December or January to start.

message 29: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3680 comments Thanks for the obvious solution that eluded me!

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments I think my other groups just keep the currently reading thread going without closing them (ever). Not sure if that is better or worse??

message 31: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 25, 2012 09:37AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 109 comments Heidi (up to no good) wrote: "I think my other groups just keep the currently reading thread going without closing them (ever). Not sure if that is better or worse??"

We do that on another group that I moderate, but I actually prefer this method so you don't have threads with posts that number in the thousands. I try to keep up, but if I'm away, or am frequenting other groups, when i come back the chunks of unread posts are more manageable.

message 32: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 109 comments John wrote: "Thanks for the obvious solution that eluded me!"

Glad to be able to make a contribution to the group, John!

message 33: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2001 comments This works well..I don't want an endless thread I like it much better this way!

Thanks for all you do John!

message 34: by John, Moderator (last edited Sep 25, 2012 10:19AM) (new)

John | 3680 comments I've been all for the monthly threads for a while, and being a moderator (who gets to decide these things), now they're here!

Susie - I have remarked on this a few times already, but in discussions with moderators of other forums, I've heard details of fighting and harassment among members that I couldn't even begin to imagine here! Though biased, I honestly do think we're about the politest group at GR, as well having Most Helpful Members.

message 35: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3649 comments John wrote: "I've been all for the monthly threads for a while, and being a moderator (who gets to decide these things), now they're here!

Susie - I have remarked on this a few times already, but in discussion..."

Obviously, audiobooks have subliminal suggestions implanted telling all of us to be nice to each other and especially our moderator! ;-P As for being nice to each other, who could imagine being rude to such great people?

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments John wrote: "I've been all for the monthly threads for a while, and being a moderator (who gets to decide these things), now they're here!

Susie - I have remarked on this a few times already, but in discussion..."

Thanks John!

message 37: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments Just saying....
Could be seasonal with the months as sub title.

message 38: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2001 comments Starting The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Timesby, Jennifer Worth narrated by, Nicola Barber wanted to listen to this one before it comes on PBS Masterpiece Theater.

message 39: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) I like the switch to months instead of seasons - it feels more manageable to catch up on!

I just finished Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey - it was a Printz Honor book this year, and I tried to read all recipients of this award when it's announced (the award is for young adult literature). But this one sounded so bleak that I kept putting it off. Turns out it IS dark, but it's also funny and moving and well written - well worth the listen. Since the setting is Australia, I enjoyed hearing it in the right accent, instead of the American accent I hear in my head by default.

I'm just starting The FitzOsbornes in Exile by Michelle Cooper (the 2nd in the series - I'm rereading since #3 comes out in October). Recommended to fans of historical fiction and stories like I Capture the Castle!

message 40: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 196 comments I'm about halfway through Shelby Foote's Tournament, and (when I lose my place in that) in the second of six parts of the first volume of his The Civil War: A Narrative. I've been meaning to read Foote for a very long time, and I'm very happy about the audio books.

message 41: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3649 comments I finished "The Language of Bees" of the Russell/Holmes series. I really, really liked it, but I didnt realize it was the first of two parts. Now I have the dilemma of whether or not to start "The God of the Hive" now, or wait until I've read "Rapture: A Novel of the Fallen Angels" by J. R. Ward--talk about a real change of pace! Knowing me, I'll read the next Russell/Holmes because "to be continued" is too tempting a phrase to leave for another day. I have a feeling I'll be losing sleep trying to read it fast and move on to "Rapture", or even J. K. Rowling's new book if Audible has it this Thursday.

i've said it before, too many books and not enough time!

message 42: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2001 comments Jeanie wrote: "I finished "The Language of Bees" of the Russell/Holmes series. I really, really liked it, but I didnt realize it was the first of two parts. Now I have the dilemma of whether or not to start "Th..."

Audible says it will be available Thursday I asked them today! Saved a credit for it!

message 43: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3649 comments MissSusie wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "I finished "The Language of Bees" of the Russell/Holmes series. I really, really liked it, but I didnt realize it was the first of two parts. Now I have the dilemma of whether or n..."

Thanks for the info! I asked them late last week and they didn't know. I wonder what time it will show up on the site? Sometimes books appear early in the morning, sometimes not until after noon. I guess I'll just have to check until...

message 44: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 493 comments It is The Book Addicts selection for Oct... Glad to hear it will be available.

message 45: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 958 comments I finished Let Me In. I found it enjoyable.

I'm going to start The Statues that Walked: Unraveling the Mystery of Easter Island next.

message 46: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments I've started Geraldine Brooks' Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague.

message 47: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1164 comments MissSusie wrote: "Starting The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Timesby, Jennifer Worth narrated by, Nicola Barber wanted to listen to this one before it comes on PBS Masterpiece Theater."

I just finished the book. Wait till you meet Sister Monica Jean! She is something else. The book was very good!

message 48: by aprilla (last edited Sep 26, 2012 10:15AM) (new)

aprilla | 247 comments Hello, after a break from internetting and GR (but not from audiobooks)... Just coming to the end of The Thirteenth Tale and have enjoyed it a lot. I can't rem who is narrating but it is also very good. Thumbs up all around :)

Next up I'm planning a new author, John Rector, either The Grove or Already Gone eenie-meenie

ps I also like the idea of multi-month threads, rather than one month or forever threads...

oh! I've just noticed the starting date for this Sept thread is only like a week ago, so perhaps a full month would be just fine. I had been thinking this was it for the month, and quite short LOL .... apologies for underestimating you all, chatty bunch that you are LOL

message 49: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2001 comments Chrissie wrote: "MissSusie wrote: "Starting The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Timesby, Jennifer Worth narrated by, Nicola Barber wanted to listen to this one before it comes on PBS Masterpiece Theater."..."

I'm starting to get into now that I realized it isn't a straight forward story, it is more like a bunch of short stories/antedotes.

message 50: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) Javasapien wrote: "I've started Geraldine Brooks' Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague."

I loved this book in print - I'm curious to hear what the audio version is like! Totally gripping.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.