The Innocent (War of the Roses, #1) The Innocent discussion

The Innocent, The Exiled and The Ucrowned Queen trilogy

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lizzie Bissett If you haven't read these books you MUST! Without giving too much away it is about a lover of Edward IV. He falls madly in love with her but her background (I won't give it away) makes it very difficult and dangerous for them to be together. Needless to say, Elizabeth Woodville is NOT happy and goes to extreme measures to rid her husband of Anne (the woman he loves).
Immensely enjoyable!

Siobhan O'Laoghaire-Sannes I would have to disagree. It presents itself as a respectable historical novel, being a trade paperback with a nicely illustrated cover. And it starts off well, as a historical would. But then they see each other from afar and are immediately, passionately in love with each other and the book devolves into just another bodice ripper. Heck, I have red bodice rippers better than this book. So, I apologize for disagreeing so strongly, but there you go fellow readers. A pro and a con to consider before reading.

Lizzie Bissett Fair enough, but the books did get better as they went along the trilogy. I also found, however, they fell in love a bit quick! But the further you delve into the trilogy you find background and a lot of adventure.

Jennifer I loved these books: as soon as I finished one I couldn't wait to delve into the next one.
At the time I read them I was not very knowledgeable about the period and so didn't think anything of having Elizabeth Woodville cast in the role of an evil, jealous queen. Since then however I've studied the Wars of the Roses and have come to realise just how often Elizabeth is unfairly portrayed in a negative light; there's no true historical justification for it really.
However, these are not factually based historical novels and so the author is of course allowed to take any dramatic licence that she wishes.
Also, check out the author's latest book 'The Island House'--it's fantastic.

Siobhan O'Laoghaire-Sannes Jennifer wrote: "... However, these are not factually based historical novels and so the author is of course allowed to take any dramatic licence that she wishes..."

True. However, I have since discovered authors who are more historically accurate are so much more enjoyable. Two of my favorites are Dorothy Dunnett and Sharon Kay Penman, both of whom I am about to reread.