Sylvia Engdahl Discussion and Q&A discussion

Stewards of the Flame

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (last edited Dec 21, 2007 09:40PM) (new)

Sylvia | 15 comments Mod
I'm particularly eager to discuss my new adult novel Stewards of the Flame, but I realize that probably most of you haven't seen it yet -- I hope in time to get some feedback from its readers. In the meantime I'll be glad to answer questions about it. And what do you think of the video trailer?

If you have read it and want to comment on plot developments, please put SPOLIER in your subject line! Many of the most interesting things in it come as surprises to the reader (at least I hope they do).

There is a higher-quality recording of the video plus a book description, review quotes, and sample chapters at http://www.stewardsoftheflame.com. Also there is a lot of detailed background information on the topics with which the novel deals: the problems in our society's medical philosophy, the influence of the mind on health, and "paranormal" capabilites such as ESP and healing.

I should explain that this novel isn't going to be in local bookstores because it is print-on-demand. But it's available at Amazon.com and from a number of other online dealers (they are listed at http://www.stewardsoftheflame.com).

message 2: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette | 1 comments Sylvia, I really enjoyed this book alot. I hope you get excited and write more books because I've enjoyed all the books you've written very much. You have such interesting ideas. A lot of the medical ideas in this book I've been having myself. I hope we don't go crazy and get rid of doctors completely, but I sure hope the medical profession and especially the pharmaceutical industry will be able to see and acknowledge some of the craziness that's been going on lately, that can't be good for society in the long run. I'm not sure how a change is going to occur, though, with all the $$$ that's being made! Jeanette

message 3: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia | 15 comments Mod
Thanks for your comment, Jeanette! I am not sure that any change can be made in our society's medical situation either, but I'd like to think we can at least avoid more government control over people's personal healthcare decisions.

message 4: by Dora (last edited Feb 14, 2008 12:05AM) (new)

Dora | 2 comments justice.

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia | 15 comments Mod
Thanks for your comment on the video, Dora. It's certainly true that it oversimplies the theme and plot, but I'm not sure what wouldn't, in less than 2 minutes. I didn't have any choice other than to use stock photography, as I could hardly afford custom-produced art. The main purpose of it is to attract the attention of people on YouTube and elsewhere who don't know the book exists. Several people have told me that it made them eager to read the book -- at least one of them was familiar with my work, but I'm not sure about the others.

Does anyone else here have a reaction to the video trailer? If you don't have a high speed connection and can't see streaming video, the stills from it are at www.stewardsoftheflame.com -- though they are not as effective without the music and my license for inclusion of the music doesn't allow me to use it separately.

message 6: by Dora (new)

Dora | 2 comments I spose' were all different. The world is definitely not composed of an army of dora's who will be watching the video, so who knows how other people see it.. Then again I went to art school,
so i may not be any kind of measuring stick. ruler.
barometer. =)