Emma Emma question

Favourite Jane Austen Book
Jennifer Jennifer Sep 22, 2012 07:04AM
I have recently re-discovered Jane Austen. I first read Pride and Prejudice several years ago and for some unfathomable reason did not understand the appeal and genius of Jane Austen. I recently read Emma and fell in love with the book. I have since re-read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. I wish that I could just put my life aside and live in all things Jane Austen for a good week or two. Am wondering what everyone's favourite Jane Austen book is.

Pride and Prejudice-- Elizabeth Bennet is my most favorite book character of all time.

I love them all, especially Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice, but my absolute favorite is Sense and Sensibility, maybe because it's the first Austen novel I read. Emma was my least favorite.

Pride And Prejudice is the best :)

"Emma" all the way! I still need to read "Persuasion" and "Northanger Abbey" though :)

Sense and Sensibility and Northanger Abby.

pride and prejudice,and persuasion

i havn't read pride and prejudice because emma just discouraged me.i dont like jane austen's idea of marriage and it's help to life's completion.

Persuasion. For me the book is just so contemporary. I can relate to the characters, their feelings, their situation. I really love P&P or Sense & sensibility, but Persuasion is my all time favourite.

Pride and Prejudice is her masterpiece then persuasion.

It is really hard to chose just one...I like Emma and Persuasion a lot, but Pride and Prejudice is definitely my favorite.

It's really hard to choose between Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Persuasion. i think the first one wins but not that much.

Persuasion followed closely by Pride and Prejudice.

I love Pride and Prejudice.

pride and prejudice.. emma comes second

Pride and Prejudice, and Persuasion just after

Jennihess25 (last edited Oct 13, 2012 07:18PM ) Oct 13, 2012 07:17PM   0 votes
Pride and Prejudice is my favorite. But any Jane Austen novel to me is a wonder. I enjoy her characters and the wit she always writes with.

Pride and Prejudice. No contest for me.

I've read them all, and Persuasion is the best-written. It has the most complex, well-defined characters. All around it is Jane Austen at her most brilliant. But my favorite is Emma.

Pride and Prejudice then Emma. I love Northanger Abbey and Persuasion and like S&S but not as much as the others. I dislike Mansfield Park though. Fanny is so dull.

My Favourite would be Emma. It has always been. I think the witty aspect of it is what appealed to be better than the rest of the Austen books. I love P&P with all my heart but Emma remains the closest to my heart.

I love all her books, so hard to choose a favorite. I've never heard of Lady Susan . . . where would I find that?

my favorite is also persuasion, though pride and prejudice is a close second...

Like them all, but absolutly love Persuasion

Definitely Pride and Prejudice! It was my second novel after Emma. Though I loved Emma, but Pride and Prejudice took me by surprise. It was so simple and yet so amazingly beautiful at the same time. Today whichever novel I read always seems to be derived from this masterpiece in some or the other way. That was Jane Austen's brilliance!

I actually had the same thing. I read Pride and Prejudice when I was 14, and I liked it, but didn't really understand what made it so special. But I think that I was to young for it. After reading Emma, later on, I was bitten. So I would have to go with Emma. :)

deleted member Sep 27, 2012 10:35AM   0 votes
Pride and Prejudice

deleted member Sep 22, 2012 12:56PM   0 votes
Pride and Prejudice, although Persuasion is a close second. :)

'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Emma' are my favorites.

One of the earliest movies I can remember falling in love with was the Gywneth Paltrow version of Emma. I didn't think of the novel at all until the Keira Knightley version of P&P came out. Then I was suddenly into Austen. My brother bought me an embossed set of Jane Austen, all seven, and I was lost. I've read all now except Lady Susan, and I'd have to say Mansfield Park is my favorite. But that's not really fair, because there are different wonderful things about each story. Reading them is like having a private window into Jane's life.