Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Special characters

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 22 comments I just had issues creating a record for a book by Thomas Bohm (Punctuation..?). For some reason, everytime I editted it, it conflated the author with Thomas Böhm.

Is this a glitch or does GoodReads not trust us to input special characters correctly? [I have a copy of the book to hand and this author does not use an umlat in his name.] It seems an odd idiosyncrasy since I have to use an umlat to search for the other author when linking to him here. As it is I've had to create a profile for Thomas Bohm using the imperfect double space method.

message 2: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments I believe that this is a limitation of the database where it doesn't fully realize letters as being "different". However it will still allow names to be created such as Thomas^Bohm and Thomas^Böhm,but it will not allow you to ad books to one of the profiles. The only workaround I know of is the multiple spaces which you used. Also there is something weird going on here where there are two authors with exactly the same name and the system is still allowing it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Punctuation..? (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Thomas Böhm (other topics)