Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Good rental source for audiobooks?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Just wondering where you get your books and what source you would recommend? I've about exhausted our small library's supply. I can use a CD player in the car and an MP3 player elsewhere, so either format.

message 2: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3647 comments Audible.com would be the first, most obvious, suggestion to me.

Recorded Books has a rental plan; I believe Blackstone audio does as well.

Does your library fulfill Inter Library Loan requests for audiobooks? You could burn/rip those, build up a modest audio library, and listen later.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Good idea. You just need CD-Rs and a CD copying program, right?

message 4: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3647 comments I have never listened to books-on-CD - I went straight from cassettes to mp3; so, I rip audio CD's to mp3/wma files. But, your plan sounds right to me.

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 68 comments I often find cds at my used book store so you might want to check them out too.

I have a friend that has the same MP3 player that I have. We both belong to audio.com so we exchange memory chips from time to time.

message 6: by Elton (last edited Feb 09, 2009 02:41PM) (new)

Elton (eltont) | 1 comments The library is my favorite resource for audiobooks. Often you can download the audiobooks from the library website and sync them up with your mp3 player. No need to actually ever set foot in the library except to get your card! Often the online selection is better than what they have on cd or tape in the library and is a lot less hassle. You can even download them to your PC and burn them to cd if you want. They usually provide the software to do all of this. Downside is that you only can checkout the audio for a couple of weeks and there is no extensions so you have to recheck them out if you do not finish on time.

message 7: by Thomas (last edited Apr 03, 2009 02:34PM) (new)

Thomas | 6 comments I use www.simplyaudiobooks.com. I've done some comparison shopping and it's the best service that I've found. Plenty of cds to choose from, but they have an MP3 plan.