UK Book Club discussion

50 Books in a Year > Louise's 50 books: 2012

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (last edited Jan 07, 2013 05:39AM) (new)

Louise Might as well join this challenge as well, especially as this is the private challenge I set myself at the start of the year anyway and I'm pretty certain I can actually complete this one. According to GR I'm already over but for my own count I'm going to discount comics, picture books, poetry (except epic and novel-length poetry), reference, and books started in 2011.

1 - 10.
The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter Kraken by China Miéville Kim by Rudyard Kipling Father Brown (Collector's Library) by G.K. Chesterton A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes The Oxford Despoiler And Other Mysteries from the Casebook of Henry St Liver by Gary Dexter The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger We, the Drowned by Carsten Jensen A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin Don't Look Now and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier
11 - 20.
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse Jane Eyre  by Charlotte Brontë The Death of King Arthur by Unknown The Crystal Cave (Merlin, #1) (Arthurian Saga, #1) by Mary Stewart The Undrowned Child (The Undrowned Child, #1) by Michelle Lovric Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3) by Ben Aaronovitch The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
21 - 30.
Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb Miss or Mrs? the Haunted Hotel, the Guilty River by Wilkie Collins The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan War with the Newts by Karel Čapek Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow The Tale Of Despereaux Being The Story Of A Mouse, A Princess, Some Soup, And A Spool Of Thread by Kate DiCamillo The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan A Little History of the World by Ernst Hans Josef Gombrich
31 - 40.
Ivanhoe (Collector's Library) by Walter Scott Complete Short Fiction by Oscar Wilde The Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith The Minotaur Takes A Cigarette Break by Steven Sherrill Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1) by Anthony Horowitz The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, #1) by Michael Buckley The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan Point Blanc (Alex Rider) by Anthony Horowitz The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente
41 - 50!
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy Dinner With a Vampire (The Dark Heroine, #1) by Abigail Gibbs The Turn of the Screw & Owen Wingrave by Henry James The Aspern Papers and The Turn of the Screw by Henry James Tales of the Greek Heroes. by Roger Lancelyn Green by Roger Lancelyn Green The Complete Fairy Tales by Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm A History of the World in 100 Objects by Neil MacGregor Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon The Unusual Suspects (The Sisters Grimm, #2) by Michael Buckley
51+
Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs We  by Yevgeny Zamyatin The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs Kraken The Curious, Exciting, and Slightly Disturbing Science of Squid by Wendy Williams The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3) by Michael Buckley

Started but didn't finish:
Beowulf by Unknown Pirates of Barbary by Adrian Tinniswood The Book Of Barely Imagined Beings A 21st Century Bestiary by Caspar Henderson The Arabian Nights Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 1 by Anonymous

Edit: Decided non-fiction books started this year should count (not that there'll be much of it).

message 2: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments I like how you've presented your list. You have read a real variety, a good reading year by the looks of it:)

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise Thanks. Has been a pretty good year for reading I guess, yeah. Sort of a bit odd seeing my reading all laid out like this actually, can track almost exactly what was going on in my life at the time just from looking at it.

message 4: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments I like those sorts of memories attached to books :)

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments nice mix of fantastical and 'proper' literature there Louise.

Although I really think your allowed to include the comics :)

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise But they only take about 10 minutes to read! It feels like cheating!

Mind you apart from the odd reread I don't read that many comics anyway now that I'm all caught up on Fables trades.

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments Ahh your ahead of me on those then I've just finished volume 8 I think.

You might want to try The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity its got a fables feel to it, and its all about the secret power of books :)

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise Ooooooh! That does look good. Adding to wishlist. :D
Thanks!

message 9: by Louise (new)

Louise And into the 40s now. Dinner With a Vampire is, without doubt, the worst and most poorly written book I have read in my life.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise Decided to include non-fiction in this as well - not that I read a lot of it. Just finished A History of the World in 100 Objects, which I absolutely loved.

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments It's a great book, I'm assuming you heard the radio series if not its brilliant and I think you can still download it as a podcast !

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise I haven't actually, though I have already downloaded the podcasts and plan on listening to them soon. Was using the radio series website for more pictures as I was reading, which was helpful too.

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise nice to see some wodehouse in the list, makes me smile everytime..... and I DO picture them as Fry and Laurie portrayed them :)

message 14: by Louise (new)

Louise Haha, Jeeves and Wooster are fantastic. Great summer reading, I like to read them stretched out on the lawn on a sunny day with a large pitcher of pimms. Have the next two or three hoarded up on my bookshelf waiting for the sun to come out again and thinking I might branch out and try some of his other series next summer.

message 15: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Louise wrote: "Decided to include non-fiction in this as well - not that I read a lot of it. Just finished A History of the World in 100 Objects, which I absolutely loved."

That sounds really interesting - on my tbr list ! I think my non-fiction-reading hubby would love it.

message 16: by Louise (last edited Nov 13, 2012 02:26AM) (new)

Louise I dont think I've liked any of his other books as much as the J+W series.

I recently read The girl who circumnavigated etc etc, and found my response to it rather odd.
it was clever, and funny and all that, but every time I put it down, I came back to it completely blank, couldnt remember a thing about it!!!
be interesting to see what you have to say.

message 17: by Louise (new)

Louise I really enjoyed it, my (slightly gushing!) review's here. That said I do get what you mean. I read it pretty quickly so had a fairly good grip on the story while I was reading it but now that it's been a while since I picked it up I am finding it quite tricky to recall - it's got that sort of dreamlike quality to it somehow. I thought the writing and the narration was absolutely beautiful though - and that's coming from someone who often hates that 'conversational narrator' style of storytelling. It's so, so easy to get it wrong and slip into condescending.

And just finished Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter (no review up yet but I'll get to it). Enjoyed it but found it a bit of a slog. I loved Carter's writing style in The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories but it felt like an overdose reading a whole novel written that way. And it never quite felt that there was much beyond that to sustain the story - even when a lot was happening it felt rather style over substance and I never managed to click with any of the characters. I kept putting it down and not really being able to summon up the motivation to pick it up again.

message 18: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3411 comments Mod
Louise wrote: "I really enjoyed it, my (slightly gushing!) review's here. That said I do get what you mean. I read it pretty quickly so had a fairly good grip on the story while I was reading it but now that it's..."

If you liked The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, try The Magic Toyshop (imho they're her two best books).

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise Thanks. Will have a look to see if the library has it in once I've managed to get a bit further though my massive pile of unread books I already own.

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise And done with Lady Audley's Secret. Really enjoyed it.

Only one book away from the target now too! Should definitely be able to make it.

message 21: by Louise (new)

Louise And done! The Unusual Suspects. A pretty easy children's read but am really enjoying the series. Now the dilemma of how to read the rest (especially as it ended on a cliffhanger). My library doesn't seem to stock any beyond this one...

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments Well Done Louise *applause and cheers*

message 23: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Well done Louise.

message 24: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments Well done Louise *Applause applause*

message 25: by Louise (new)

Louise Thanks guys. :)