You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > October 2012 - Group Read Titles

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Voting for the October Group Reads is over and the books are *drumroll please*

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones
and
Death with Interruptions by José Saramago Death with Interruptions by Jose Saramago

If neither of these books appeals to you or you have another book that fits the theme of Death/Dead character as narrator or main character, there will also be a Theme Discussion Thread where you can discuss any other book you like that fits the theme - you may even find someone to do a buddy read with!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have First Grave on the Right waiting for collection in the library. Looks interesting, if a little odd...

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments I have First Grave loaded on my iPad waiting for the week of the Toppler - going to kill two birds with one stone.

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Dean (alicia_dean) I've chosen First Grave. I've been curious about this book anyway, so this will give me the push I need to buy and read it. Looking forward to the discussion!

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I've heard lots of great feedback on First Grave - all lined up on my e-reader and ready to go!

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I'm not sure if I'll be able to participate but if I do I have First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones on hold at the library just in case :)

message 7: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads Requests just placed at the library for both books.
(I l*o*v*e the online catalog!)

message 8: by April (new)

April | 970 comments I want to read it so badly! I just have to find it!

message 9: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments Judy wrote: "I picked up Death with Interruptions today at the library. Thank you, thank you Kat for choosing short books! I don't think this will be to much trouble fitting in my busy October reading schedule...."

I got my copy of Death with Interruptions from the library and it's the one I am going to read for sure. I have First Grave on my Nook as well, but with all the other October stuff going on I doubt i will have time to read it.

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I have Death with Interruptions on order and I'll definitely be reading both *stares at The Book Depository 'pending' status*

message 11: by Pragya (last edited Sep 28, 2012 07:52AM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments My library doesn't have both. :(

I'll see if it is possible to buy them to add to my mountainous pile without getting kicked out of my home.

message 12: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I have received an email from the library that First Grave is waiting for me. Will pick it up Tuesday.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 29, 2012 08:58AM) (new)

I've collected First Grave, and I've got a very different cover from the default GR edition. First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones is far darker and menacing than the glitzy flip flops and painted nails of what I am assuming is the US edition. That looks, to me, to be almost chick-lit territory.
Amazing how much difference a cover makes, isn't it?

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Covers really can make you think differently about a book, Helen. I admit I would have been far more likely to check out this book if I randomly saw it on a shelf with your cover than the US cover.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments I quite like this edition's cover:

Das Flüstern der Toten (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones .