The Dark Mythology discussion

Vampires and Werewolves > Do monsters interest you?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brett (last edited Feb 07, 2009 01:01AM) (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 115 comments Mod
I just found this web site that looks kind of fun.

http://www.monstropedia.org/

Which makes me wonder. We've all gone the vampire, werewolf, etc. route.
Barring those, what actual, fictional monster interests you the most?

Frightened you the most?

Made you laugh the hardest (if at all)?

I can freely admit that the one supposed creature that not only intrigues me, but scares me for some reason is The Mothman. First reported in 1966 in W. Virginia and was the subject of a very spooky film, The Mothman Prophecies.

I still don't know what it is about this thing that bugs me, but it does.
I consider myself to be fairly fearless any more. I have gone into haunted houses and places and stuff like that without any problems, but I have no desire at all to visit the Charleston and Point Pleasant areas of West Virginia where it is the strongest.

How about you all?

Oh yeah. BYW, my favorite funny monster will always be the amazing Toxic Avenger. Is he actually a monster though?

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Cool site. Thanks for posting. I'm particularly curious about angels, demons, and shapeshifters. Beginning to tire of vampires. I'll look through the site more tomorrow...And The Mothman Prophecies was very creepy. I think that story scared me more because there was no solid thing or monster to fight or argue against. You don't know if the creature is good or bad. It's more like a phenomenom and that scares me because it's kind of beyond what I understand.

message 3: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm Yea its an amazing site!! I've always been fascinated by mythological creatures! The one creature that scares me are the Sirens

message 4: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) Heh thats a neat site. I love legends of of creatures that people swear they've seen.. I've heard of the Mothman but the one I'm always really interested in hearing more about is the jersey devil.. not because it scares me so much as because I grew up in NJ and love weird and unexplained things .. reading Weird NJ for so many years made me decide its a creepy state not because of the inner city areas but because we are just so bizarre..

message 5: by Josh, Major Slacker (last edited Feb 09, 2009 10:41AM) (new)

Josh | 81 comments Mod
Cool site!
The Mothman Prophecies freaked me out too. I have a pretty good idea why...

Anyway, the monster that scares me the most is the skinwalker. Some would argue that it is too closely related to a werewolf, but its not. It lies more in the realm of witchcraft and evil spirits.
Yeah, I know that Native American ledgends can get blown out of porportion by white man, but having lived in Arizona most my life I've seen too much to say that there isnt someting out there.

And dont even get me started on Indian graveyards.

message 6: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 115 comments Mod
The skinwalker truly is a scary critter. They are much more than a simple shapeshifter. They steal the body AND the soul. It's not like when you become infected as a were-creature, they prey on people and make victims of them.

I was just talking (somewhere) about how I like the Native American mythos, especially the Anasazi, Hopi and Navajo. Arizona and the Four Corners area in general is THE place to be for this kind if stuff. It also reminds of how I am hesitant to hike up in the high Sierras because they are a truly freaky place. Odd things happen up in those mountains all the time.

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 80 comments I have a book coming out this May sometime, Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales.And I have a section on monsters in Virginia. Mention of the Mothman and the New Jersey Devil here, i found references both visited Virginia. That was cool.
Talking of strange monsters--there's the Wampus Cat, Devil Monkeys and how about sasquatch?
Not sure call him a monster, but definitely an urban legend, the Bunnyman and his Bunnyman Bridge in Fairfax, Virginia.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 80 comments The Bunnyman looks to be the inspiration for the movie, Donnie Darko, too.