Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Heather Graham
This topic is about Heather Graham
2012 Challenge Archive > FAC: Heather Graham (October 2012)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19837 comments Heather Graham Pozzessere, born and bred in Florida, is a best-selling US writer, who writes primarily romance novels. She writes under her maiden name Heather Graham as well as the pen name Shannon Drake. She has written over 150 novels and novellas, has been published in approximately twenty-five languages, and has had over seventy-five million books in print.

Heather spent several years after University working in dinner theater, singing backup vocals, and bartending. After the birth of her third child, with her husband Dennis Pozzessere, Heather decided she couldn't afford to go to work anymore. She chose to stay at home, and to fill her time, began to write horror stories and romances. After two years, in 1982, she sold her first novel, When Next We Love.

Heather's novels run the gamut of the romance genre, from historical fiction to category, from romantic suspense to time travel, and from vampire fiction to Christmas stories. Needless to say, her publishers are many and varied.

Romance Writers of America presented her with the 2003 Lifetime Achievement Award. She is a member of Mystery Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, and Novelists Inc, and has received the Thriller Writer's Silver Bullet for charitable enterprises. Heather is a founder of the Florida chapter of the Romance Writers of America, and since 1999 has hosted the annual Romantic Times Vampire Ball for charity.

Heather's GR page is here: Heather Graham

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author, Heather Graham.
Challenge Duration: The whole month of October.

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Oct 30, 2012 04:34AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19837 comments The starters:

A: Oooh, she's evil ;)
√ Bookcrazy
√ Ruth Ann
√ Christine US

B: I'll deal again
√ Kami
√ KarenH
√ Leslie
√ Roxy
√ Melissa
√ Jojo
Nairabell
Patricia
√ Yz
Lauren
√ Valorie

C: New suspect
√ Jane
√ Laura
√ MountainKat
Ann
Skandia
√ Dragana
Karen (Booklover)
√ Cassandra
√ Suzanne
√ Amanda
Shi
√ Lynne
√ Jensine

D: Shadowy participant
√ Katharina

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Oct 30, 2012 04:31AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19837 comments The finishers:

A: More ghosts please!
MountainKat (C) - Phantom Evil
KarenH (B) - Phantom Evil
Ruth Ann (A) - The Seance
Jensine (C) - Deadly Night
Suzanne (C) - Phantom Evil
Laura (C) - Ghost Shadow

B: When I need to kill time
Lynne (C) - Ghost Shadow
Kami (B) - Bride of the Night
Melissa (B) - Ghost Shadow
Jojo (B) - Tall, Dark, and Deadly
Amanda (C) - The Island
Yz (B) - Deadly Night
Cassandra (C) - Phantom Evil
Leslie (B) - Ghost Moon
Roxy (B) - The Unseen
Jane (C) - The Dead Room
Valorie (B) - Night of the Vampires
Bookcrazy (A) - Deadly Night

C: Dead
Dragana (C) - Golden Surrender
Katharina (C) - One Wore Blue

Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) by Heather Graham Golden Surrender (Viking #1) by Heather Graham Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) by Heather Graham Bride of the Night by Heather Graham Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) by Heather Graham Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) by Heather Graham The Seance (Harrison Investigation, #5) by Heather Graham Tall, Dark, and Deadly by Heather Graham The Island by Heather Graham Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) by Heather Graham Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) by Heather Graham Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) by Heather Graham Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) by Heather Graham Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) by Heather Graham Ghost Moon (Bone Island Trilogy, #3) by Heather Graham The Unseen (Krewe of Hunters, #5) by Heather Graham The Dead Room (Harrison Ivestigation, #4) by Heather Graham Night of the Vampires  by Heather Graham One Wore Blue (North American Woman #4) by Heather Graham Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) by Heather Graham

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19837 comments I'm a C.

I've been planning to read The Dead Room by HG for a long time. So I think that is what I'll read.

message 5: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments I'm in. I'm a 'B'. I will read Bride of the Night.

message 6: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7122 comments I'm in, and I guess I'd say I'm a B. I've only read one of her books (that I can remember anyway), and it was good, but didn't have me running right out to read more. I'm not totally sure yet, but I think I'll be reading Phantom Evil.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 169 comments I'm C and I'll be reading Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) by Heather Graham

message 8: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20303 comments Another new author for me, I'm a C. Not sure what I'll read yet.

message 9: by ~Leslie~ (last edited Sep 22, 2012 12:06PM) (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I'm in and I'm a B+. There are several books at the library and I haven't decided yet what to read.

I've decided to read Ghost Moon (Bone Island Trilogy, #3) by Heather Graham
I read the first one in the series a while ago and it was good. And this is available.

message 10: by Katharina (new)

Katharina | 802 comments I've only read Golden Surrender (Viking #1) by Heather Graham by her and didn't really like it. Guess that would make me a D. I think I'm going to give her Civil War Trilogy a try so I'll probably read One Wore Blue (North American Woman #4) by Heather Graham .

message 11: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxym) | 208 comments I'm in and I'm a B. I will check what is available at the library and post later!

message 12: by Bookcrazy (new)

Bookcrazy | 71 comments Definitively A! One of my first romance books was by her. I loved Picture Me Dead by Heather Graham and I'm planing to read Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) by Heather Graham in October.

message 13: by ~Melissa~ (last edited Sep 23, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

~Melissa~ | 1919 comments I'm in. I would say I'm a B+ - I always enjoy her but she isn't one of my automatic have to have authors but still really good.

I will be reading Ghost Shadow

message 14: by Ann (Noumena12) (new)

Ann (Noumena12) (noumena12) | 126 comments I'm a C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.

I'm planning on reading Long, Lean, and Lethal. If I can't read it, I may try An Angel for Christmas.

message 15: by Jojo (new)

Jojo | 1010 comments I'm in - I'm a B - I really like most of her books but there have been a few I could take or leave.

I'll be reading Tall, Dark, and Deadly

message 16: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 433 comments I'm in. I'm a B, but I need to check through my TBR to see what I've got before picking a book.

message 17: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (ruthannsantiago) | 172 comments I am an A. I am always reading her books. I will read The Seance.

message 18: by Skandia (last edited Sep 28, 2012 04:35AM) (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 962 comments I'm in and I'm a C. New author for me.
I will be reading The Island by Heather Graham

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Solla (tedebear1998) | 244 comments I'm in and you can make me a B for this author. I'll check if I have anything by her here in my home or I'll be off to the library to see what I find.

message 20: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) I'm in. I'm a C - totally new to this author. Since I am not a fan of romantic suspense novels, I will try to read her historical romance with vikings: Golden Surrender.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

im in am a c . will see which book i can get.

message 22: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 265 comments I'm in. I've heard of her but never read (C, completely new to me). I'll be reading Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) by Heather Graham .

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm a B.
Her books are a bit hit and miss for me. Will read The Evil Inside (Krewe of Hunters #4) by Heather Graham .

message 24: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2052 comments I'm in and I'm a C!

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (shortie357) | 103 comments I'm a C. I will be reading The Island by Heather Graham .

message 26: by Shirene (new)

Shirene (loveromancetales) | 45 comments I'm a C.
Thought I would try Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) by Heather Graham .

message 27: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I know I've read some of her books a long time ago, but the only ones I can remember is her Civil War trilogy. Based on that, I'll rank myself as a B.

I'm going to read Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) by Heather Graham for this challenge.

message 28: by Dragana (last edited Oct 02, 2012 02:10AM) (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) I was a C before reading Golden Surrender (Viking #1) by Heather Graham .

I was sure this will be a classical bodice-riper that were so popular in the 80s so I was pleasantly surprised that, although there was some actual bodice ripping, the heroine was not naive virgin but hot-headed and kick-ass girl that is fighting for her right to party.
The rating would be bigger if I did not have trouble with the Heather Graham's writing style. The descriptions of nature and characters were sometimes muddled and boring, no matter that the pages were dripping with action.

Since I do not like romantic suspense novel (at least not yet) and did not like her writing style of historical romance novels, I don't think that I will soon read any of her books again. So you can say I am C group.

message 29: by Lynne (last edited Oct 02, 2012 01:14PM) (new)

Lynne (lovetoreadgal) | 1159 comments It doesn't look like I actually got signed up to begin with. Oops, sorry Jane! I read Ghost Shadow by Heather Graham. I enjoyed the book. It was a little creepy, but not really scary. The stories about Key West were really interesting. Several of the legends and stories that were important to storyline of the book were told multiple times. Why? I started as a “C” and I’m ending as a “B+”. I’ll read more of this series, but I won’t rush out to get the next book.

message 30: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments I finished Bride of the Night. It was a historical vampire book set during the Civil War with a vampire assassin after President Lincoln, which just made me think of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer. And it was the third book in a series, which I didn't realize. I thought the writing was really good and I am giving it three stars. I didn't like it as well as the other book I've read by her. I have some more books by her that I do want to read eventually. I started out as a 'B' and I end a 'B'.

message 31: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20303 comments I finished Phantom Evil this evening and I enjoyed it. I started as a C, not having read a book by this author before only to realize as I looked for a book that I had tried to start one of her books before. I couldn't get into it and never read more than a couple of pages - I think real life got in my way. But that did influence my expectations, I wasn't expecting much! After reading this book, I would have to say I am a low A. I definitely plan to continue this series, but I'm not going to rush out and read them right away.

message 32: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1919 comments I finished Ghost Shadow today. I started a B+ and will remain a B+. I will say this was not one of my favorite books by her. I feel it was longer than it needed to be. I do usually enjoy her books just not this one.

message 33: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7122 comments I finished Phantom Evil today, and liked it quite a lot. I listened to the audio version and the narrator wasn't the greatest (not horrible, but definitely didn't add much, if anything, to the experience) but I liked the story and the characters. I started as a B, and I think I'll bump that up to a low A - I'll definitely continue the series, but not immediately. I was happy to discover that the rest of the books have a different narrator, and based on the small sample I listened to I think I'm going to like him better.

message 34: by Ruth Ann (last edited Oct 04, 2012 08:37PM) (new)

Ruth Ann (ruthannsantiago) | 172 comments I finished The Seancetoday. I gave the the book a 3 star rating. It wasn't my favorite Heather Graham book. My favorite book of hers is Ghost Walk and The Killing Edge.

I am still an A!!!

message 35: by Jojo (new)

Jojo | 1010 comments I finished Tall, Dark, and Deadly last night. It's one of her older books and I really enjoyed it. I think I prefer her older books from that time to most of the ones that she writes now.

message 36: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 27 comments I just saw this - and coincidentally just started The Unseen this morning.

I'm somewhere between an A & B. If I find a good book by her, I'm 100% an A. However, lately I've been disappointed -- but I keep reading more b/c I want to get back to the "this was awesome!" point with her stuff.

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (shortie357) | 103 comments I finished The Island by Heather Graham last night. I started at a 'C' and after reading this book; I am finishing as a 'B.'

message 38: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Oct 07, 2012 04:25PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I finished reading Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) by Heather Graham last Friday. It was a decent read. Good plot, likeable characters, and I wasn't even able to guess who the killer was...LOL.

I started as a B, and ended up as a B.

message 39: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (vampiregoth28) | 265 comments I finished Phantom Evil in audio today (Oct 7, 2012). I started as a C and I'm now a B+. It was a good book and I liked the characters (which is good since I'm going to continue the series) but the story seemed a little slow at times, dragging on some until the end were it was all action. I gave the book ★★★½ (meaning ★★★★ since GR doesn't do half stars), since it dragged on some. It was good overall, but I'm not going to rush to read the next one.

message 40: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19837 comments I thought I'd post the Lisa Jackson stats here, given I've taken so long to pull them together. Sincerest apologies, but my RL 'reporting' season is pretty much over now, so hopefully I can get back on track :)

18 members completed the challenge out of a sign-up group of 34 participants.

1 A remained an A; 1 A became a B
4 Bs remained Bs (100%)
1 C became an A; the other 11 Cs became Bs
We had no Cs in the finishing line up :)

The book stats:
We had a very wide field from which to choose our book this month. Consequently we only have 3 books that were read more than once... In fact, each odf these 3 books was only read by 2 members:
Dark Ruby (Dark Jewels Trilogy, #1) by Lisa Jackson , Sail Away by Lisa Jackson & Without Mercy by Lisa Jackson

And that is the September wrap up :)

message 41: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19837 comments Jojo wrote: "I finished Tall, Dark, and Deadly last night. It's one of her older books and I really enjoyed it. I think I prefer her older books from that time to most of the ones that she writes now."

Hey Jojo - are you still a B or have you changed your rating? I'll put you down as a B unless I hear otherwise :)

message 42: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19837 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "I finished reading Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) by Heather Graham last Friday. It was a decent read. Good plot, likeable characters, and I wasn't even able to guess who the killer was...LOL.

I started as a B,..."

Yz - was the killer reasonable? Did you have enough info to then connect the dots (once you found out :) to think, 'Oh yeah! That makes sense...'??

(Just interested :)

message 43: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Yz the Whyz wrote: "I finished reading Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) by Heather Graham last Friday. It was a decent read. Good plot, likeable characters, and I wasn't even able to guess who the killer was...LOL..."

Good question, Jane. A little bit. It's just that when I read this book, almost everyone sounded like a possible suspect.

message 44: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19837 comments LOL - then that makes sense... So many possibilities! Either you are confounded by endless options, or none at all :) That seems to be the way murder-mysteries work!

message 45: by Jensine (new)

Jensine (jj1982) | 89 comments Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) by Heather Graham 10-19-12

I really liked this book. It was an easy read while still being intriguing. I liked all the characters, I think Aidan is my favorite (because he used to work for the FBI).

This means I was a C but now I'm an A!!!

message 46: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Just finished Ghost Moon (Bone Island Trilogy, #3) by Heather Graham and I gave it 4 stars. I have read others in this trilogy and this one was my favorite. I started as a B and I ended as a B. I like her and know what I'm getting when I read her. Not a favorite but an author that I like.

message 47: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2052 comments I finished Phantom Evil by Heather Graham and really enjoyed it! Nice ghost story with a bit of romance, five stars. Will definately read the next one. I'm an A.

Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) by Heather Graham

message 48: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxym) | 208 comments I started this challenge as a B and end it as a B. For this challenge, I read The Unseen. The Unseen is in Graham's Krewe of Hunters series, with paranormal and historical elements.

The Unseen (Krewe of Hunters, #5) by Heather Graham

message 49: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19837 comments Finished The Dead Room (Harrison Ivestigation, #4) by Heather Graham yesterday. Nice little mystery with a relatively unexpected ending. (I'm not referring to who the 'bad-man' was either.) The romance was very light on - don't read it expecting any... 3 stars.

I started a 'C' and end a 'B'.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura | 169 comments Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) by Heather Graham

I love mystery books and i love even more when it has something supernatural in it and whats better then ghosts. The story pulled me from the first chapter and with every page it got better and better. It was a great book and i cant wait to continue this series.

« previous 1