The Bridgeburners discussion

Forge of Darkness

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments OH MY GOD OH MY GOD IT's HERE IT'S HERE.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments Holy fuck!# ima go get me one on Tuesdays!!!

message 3: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 172 comments Mod
HELLLLLLLLLLS YEAH!!!!!!!! I got mine on Friday!!!! OH GOD I MISS Steven Erikson!! No one can compare to him!! I'm about 110 pages in!! I'm thinking that we should do a reading here on the Bridgeburners page on Forge!

Shells:)

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason | 6 comments Got mine on Tuesday, but two books are in front of it and almost done with one of them, then I will start it :) I figured you would have had it on Tuesdays Shells.

message 5: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (last edited Sep 24, 2012 07:34AM) (new)

I don't know why I thought it was coming out on the 21st! When I looked on Amazon on the 20th and saw it was already out, I almost freaked out! I ordered it and Amazon had it to me on Friday, I LOVE Amazon!!

I'll go ahead and read Forge, then maybe I can moderate a discussion here! :)

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Perfect, just finished First Law series and need something new.

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) It is the Age of Darkness and the realm called Kuruld Galain - home of the Tiste Andii and ruled over by Mother Dark from the citadel in Kharkanas - is in a perilous state.

Welcome home Erikson readers, its time to buckle down and get your concentration levels back in gear.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason | 6 comments So true Lee. Erikson books are not for the faint of heart and you better have note taken supplies handy when you read :)

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments I'm half way through and LOVING it! Yes, I'd love a discussion, something I missed with the other Malazan books. Lots of interesting stuff here, not just history of the Tiste but others, like Caladin Brood, and the older gods like K'rull, Errastas, etc.

Wait, why am I trying to sell this book you guys??? :)

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments Lori!! today I tried to explain why the warren within dragunipur was so clever! And how fascinating the idea of a sentiment Chaos chasing the gate to all realms was awesome! My friend said and I quote "you giving me a headache" it made me sad! I wanna talk Malazan god damn it!!

message 11: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) Alfonso wrote: "Lori!! today I tried to explain why the warren within dragunipur was so clever! And how fascinating the idea of a sentiment Chaos chasing the gate to all realms was awesome! My friend said and I qu..."

I think the only thing more confusing than understanding that myself would be explaining it to someone else

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments Hahahaha! Dude! I feel you! Specially when it comes to warrens! I understand em... but its fucking impossible to explain it! You try breaking it to a non malazan versed person that Karsa carries a warren within himself! Or that Quick Ben can access several! Or how mockra can't have a ruler!

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments Oh jeez, I wouldn't even begin to try to explain!

Anyone besides Shelley reading this, because I can't wait to discuss! So much history here, it's terrific! Now I'm going to want to reread the whole series because we're getting all acquainted with the Tiste and I am having trouble remembering who did what later on. So far I haven't gone to the Malazan Encyclopedia site because I'd spend hours there and I don't have any to spare until I'm done with FoD.

message 14: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) Alfonso wrote: "Or how mockra can't have a ruler! "

Well, at least Mockra would be easier to explain. When they just look at you all confused, you can go "See, I just used mockra on you."

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I have just started it Lori, but it is clashing with the release of Borderlands 2 release, so........

message 16: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) Lee wrote: "I have just started it Lori, but it is clashing with the release of Borderlands 2 release, so........"

Ha Ha! That's my same problem!

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Fortunately I didn't start Skyrim until I finished Crippled God.

But to be honest, right now,

Maya my sexy Siren Vs Mother Dark

no contest.

message 18: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

I'm about 250 pages in....AHHHHHHHHHH so soo sooooo good!!! You know the saying "You had me at hello..." well thats what it's like for me when I open a Steve Erikson book!

So much going on here, we're seeing so many people we only heard about and the influence of the Shake is more than I would have thought!

Oh Skyrim is AWESOME isn't Lee!!! :)) Made me feel like I was in a SE book! :) I'm kinda glad winter is coming I'll have more time to play! :)

Shells:)

message 19: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (last edited Sep 27, 2012 06:55AM) (new)

Lee, you guys aren't going to read Joe's other releases (Best Served Cold and The Heroes), they are all connected?? I'm not sure if Red Country is out everywhere but by the time you would finish BSC and tH it should be out?!?!?

message 20: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) Shelley wrote: "Lee, you guys aren't going to read Joe's other releases (Best Served Cold and The Heroes), they are all connected?? I'm not sure if Red Country is out everywhere but by the time you would finish B..."

I'll be listening to the Audible version of those. Listened to a sample and wish I'd listened to First Law on Audible. I've got to finish my audible version of The Final Empire first.

I've actually finished the main quest of Skyrim. But there's so much more to do in that game! And then there's the downloadable content.

message 21: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Yep. I am going to read best served cold. Waiting for the group read to start. Like David I am playing sky rim, second time through and borderlands 2. So reading time reduced at the moment.

message 22: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) Lee wrote: "Like David I am playing sky rim, second time through and borderlands 2. So reading time reduced at the moment."

Reading time not reduced but, sleeping time definitely.

message 23: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Sleeping time is ALWAYS greatly reduced when a Erikson book comes out!!! :)

I got thru the main quest of Skyrim too, and several of the side quests, need to get back to it because I want to finished it!!! :)

About half way none with Forge, SO MANY revelations!! Who knew!!!! :))

message 24: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) "Behind Osserc's eyes there was bedrock, disfigured by Hunn Raal's incessant chipping away. The boy was destined for obscurity, unless he could be prised away from his father and so called friend."

Hmmmmm. guess he must get prised away then eh? Isn't it strange reading a story where someone like Osserc is only a boy?

message 25: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

It's AWESOME to finally get the back story to all these characters!

And after reading chapter 14 this weekend, it's no wonder Mother Dark turned away from her children!

message 26: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) I'm flat out trying to keep track of all the characters and keep their story arcs straight. Bring on the convergence! Or is it conflagration.

message 27: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

I actually busted out a notebook to keep track, used it most days, forget other days, oh well!

Usually it's a convergence, but I feel like this time it can't help but be a conflagration!!!

message 28: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) Shelley wrote: "I actually busted out a notebook to keep track, used it most days, forget other days, oh well!

I generally find all the Malazan books hard to get into, but very rewarding in the end

message 29: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

The only books I found hard to get into were ICE's books, they really are all over the place! Erikson neatly bounds his character archs into every other chapter, so if someone falls off into the mists, you better be looking for them to show up unexpectedly!! :)

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments I couldn't read ICE's books for that very reason - too many characters all over the place, and the characters themselves lacked depth making them hard to keep track of. I feel the very same about SE - he has lots of characters and I find myself checking the glossary every now and then, but as soon as I've done that I instantly remember who they are.

Can't wait til you all are done so we can discuss! BTW, I think Haal becomes the god of light, not Ursander. Osserc is said to be the son, but he is figuratively more the offspring of Haal than Ursander. Just a thought.

It's interesting how young Anomander is! I'm a bit confused about Mother Dark myself, I want to discuss. It seems she removes herself from the whole world, not just the Tiste.

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments And who is Arathan? There's a Malice! Lady Envy is horrid!

The 3 sisters of Dawn are here.

message 32: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Hmmmm Orfantal is the son of Sandalath, which I think we knew. We also know that Korlat was Orfantals sister, the one who liked jumping WhiskyJacks bones. So I wonder who Korlats father is going to be?

It is very interesting jumping this far back in time, especially given how long the Tiste live, I am not sure just how long the time is, 300 years?

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments I think they live a couple of thousands ... somebody said something about somebody being that old... but since most of the characters here will ascend...

Still! Im loving how the gods are being born and how some were already inhere! Mother Darkness specially fascinates me! I thought she was born Mother Darkness not an ascendant! Telan was tremendously interesting too! Any thoughts on Old Man?

message 34: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I am still early into the book but the Draconus family story is interesting.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments Shoot! Sorry if I spoiled anything!

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments Fonse, already I'm forgetting - Telan?

I have no idea who the Old Man is. Sometimes I wondered Kruppe?

Also, the references to the High King, that can't be Kallor can it? Humans don't seem to exist yet.

The Tiste live thousands and thousands of years.

Lee - I would say Draconus is the main character of this book.

I love how the Azath is now explained.

Erratus has always been an ass.

And Lady Envy and Sister Spite - someone remind me, Lady Envy isn't so bad in MBotF, I remember being puzzled by her, was she good was she evil, she just was. Whereas here she is just plain awful. I don't recall Spite so much from MBotF.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments Telan! The warren of fire... the fat lady! It was interesting that since her aspect its fire... she complains about the dog runners making her fat...

I think the main character here is Draconus... it is no spoiler that he will die by Dragunipur! And the forge of darkness its a reference to that sword being forged! Mother dark found the gate... and now chaos will follow it! I think Draconus is the main!

Also... yes! Erratas is an ass!

And the high king can't be Kallor! He ain't that old... dear jesus! Burn its "young" in this here world!

message 38: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments Oh yeah, Olar right? I'm waiting for the Imass to come.... so do the dog-runners become the Imass? And Burn was a dog-runner....see I was thinking the dog-runners become the Barghast.

WHEN IS BOOK 2 COMING OUT?! :)

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments Oh no! The Barghast are clearly descendants of the I'mass! It is revealed after Memories Of Ice! I think they didn't made it to the ritual... they will then be slaved by the shit! I forgot their names! The white faced dudes... fulkur? Shit! I forgot! Still! This is after the Jaghut raised war against death... how fucking old are they!?

I love talking Malazan!

message 40: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Wasn't lady Envy ensconsed in a house for a while with a seat on the council? I think she was banging the poet. Fisher wasn't it?

She was kind of narky but I don't think all that bad. Wasn't it she also who walked with Onos before he met Tull? With the 3 Barghast? Gods that seems sooo long ago.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments They were Seguleh! Thent the herald of Dead! Before he was Herald! Poor guy!

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments One of my favorite scenes is from that "walk" when the seguleh cut a freaking undead lizard to pieces! And poor Toc just freaking loses it! And start talking about how those beast just look tougher than what they actually are! And lady envy tells him to shut up cuz he is babbling and that is most unsexy! That was funny! Poor Toc!

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments I forgot that about the Barghast - Imass that didn't make it to the ritual.

message 44: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Yes of course, it was the Seguleh. I did enjoy that part of the story, especially with Toc, shame I can never remember who was actually there.
I am sure I'll get round to reading it all again. I'd probably wait for it to come up in a group read though, as it is enjoyable with the running commentary.

message 45: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments I would love to do a group read! I was so lonely when I read it the first time. My mind was blown and there was nobody there to help me pick up the pieces!

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments Omg! I would totally go for a re read! In group! With people who understand the awesomeness of the Malazan world!! I got this little speech on dragunipur just waiting for somebody! I got this theory on why the idea of holding it its so inviting to those who seek power!! And another one on the jaghut!and like 20 on Tehol!

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments Anybody else? But are we ready to start? I've got all these books lined up - fall season ya know, maybe Jan would be a good time to start? I also wouldn't want to rush it, like I did with my first read when all I did was read it. I can't do that again! I need a life! I want to read other books too! Does that sound good?

Do you know anyone else who would be interested?

So I don't really get Mother Dark. She was terrified of becoming a goddess. In a way she can seem apathetic, but on the other hand it's almost like she just wants to be left alone, screw Draconus, not get involved, and let her people be free. But she sees her people plummeting into civil war and doesn't want to help.

And what of the dragons who escaped, all from the Vytr or however you spell it. From chaos? And T'riss, I don't really remember her at all from MBotD.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | 53 comments im cool with waiting! I just read the series again this year! Dear god! Its crack! Crack I say!

Also... mother dark as I see it... ain't as crazy as I imagined her to be... she seems reasonable! And not a bitch! Her "children" on the other hand... need a good spanking! (I volunteer to spank lady envy) they are already using her as an excuse for murder! It only took em a second!

On the dragons... im confused too!

message 49: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) My review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

It left me hanging so I'm frustrated. I'll have to re read it now when the next book comes out.

message 50: by Lori (new)

Lori | 40 comments So what's the deal with T'riss? What happened in the room with Mother Dark? Who is she? Is she an Eleint? An Elder God? I know she is the Queen of Dreams in TMBotF, but she's not that yet...

It was so cool meeting Burn.

« previous 1